Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Lock Sound Issue

I just got my iPhone 12 Pro and found a very annoying issue with the lock sound and sometimes the keyboard typing sound.

The lock sound goes weird when it has been idle for a few seconds. If I start playing something, the lock sound of iPhone 12 Pro will stay normal for another few seconds.

Please see the video I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlzK1CT6WV0

It happens after rebooting the device and happens all the time for me.

Is it only me or something wrong with the system?

Thanks

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 12:04 PM

Hi,

Since this seems to be related to software issue, I have upgraded my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 14.2 beta. And now the issue is gone. Looks like iOS dev team noticed and fixed this issue in the next update.

I would recommend everyone has this issue wait a bit for the next system update.

Similar questions

183 replies

Dec 3, 2020 1:35 PM in response to LUC1F3R3

Read back over the comments, some people appear to be frustrated by the issue.

You on the other hand, have made three comments:

Firstly you stated:

"I have been facing the same issue with my iPhone 12. Its lock screen sound and keyboard typing sound dims or gets low when idle but when i start typing or doing something it goes back to normal".

You then jumped on a comment made by xia91928 by saying:

"This has nothing to do with the magsafe as I am using it without the magsafe case or charger. The sounds include lock sounds and keyboard clicks. They are reducing which has been the issue for me since I opened the box and not because I had magsafe. I am now wondering whether I should go back to my iPhone 11 because at least it is not annoying me when I lock or type it".

Finally, you felt it appropriate to jump on my comment by saying:

"With all due respect nobody is consumed with this. It is just a discussion where everybody is sharing their problems and solutions. So lets not connect this to something which is unrelated like first world problems or third world problems. Your given solutions are not helpful at the moment".

I never stated that people were consumed by the noise issue, I said "don't let this consume you, its a first world problem really".

Apart from unhelpful retorts, what have you offered in this discussion.......absolutely nothing!

If you're not happy with your iPhone then consider one of the options I gave, or do what r_saini suggested, which was to turn the sound off.

Hopefully you'll find something that makes you happy.

Nov 24, 2020 1:14 PM in response to xia91928

I have this problem on iPhone 12 Pro Max but only when powering off -- not any other system sound like keyboard.

13 NOV: Received the iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 14.2) and put on the Apple MagSafe Leather case.

22 NOV: I had previously upgraded to iOS 14.2.1. I removed the case and put it back on. The loud "click" sound started. iOS 14.2.1.

• I removed and put back the case. The problem went away.

24 NOV: The problem returned. IDK what caused it. Removing the case did not solve it this time.

• I powered down my iPhone and powered it back up. The problem went away (for now)

A permanent, software fix is needed.

-Phil

Dec 2, 2020 3:50 PM in response to DanielTerry

This is what I did and so far it's worked:

1. Remove the magsafe case.
  2. Soft reset phone to rectify the "clack" lock sound.
  3. Turn off the phone by holding down side button and volume button together.
  4. Replace magsafe case whilst phone is turned off.
  5. Turn phone back on.

The lock sound should stay normal and not return to the short "clack" sound, as long as you don't take the case off and put it back on whilst your phone is turned on.

Dec 3, 2020 7:45 AM in response to LUC1F3R3

It seems that many of you are frustrated by this, so think of your options, try not to be consumed by this sound issue.

1. If your phone is less than 14 days old then take is back to Apple for an exchange (or refund if you'd prefer);
  2. Buy an iPhone 11 if you can get a refund, as the sound issue only appears to be unique to the 12;
  3. Speak to someone at the genius bar and see if they can determine what the problem is;
  4. Wait for the next ios update, hopefully that will resolve it.

Don't let this consume you, its a first world problem really - there's many who can't afford a 12, so if you are fortunate enough to have one, then you ain't doing too bad in life.

Dec 8, 2020 10:38 AM in response to xia91928

Having the same issue on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Noticed the lock sound was sharper, with a lot more treble, shorter with less definition. Basically, less mechanical like the "normal" sound.

1. Rebooted the phone and the sound returned to normal with Apple's Mag-Safe case installed.
  2. Attached the mag-safe charger to the back of the phone and this triggered the mag-safe sound and charging animation.
  3. Locked the phone and lock sound was now "different" and back to being "short."

Oct 27, 2020 6:20 AM in response to DanielTerry

Agreed on how annoying it is. Same issue for me on the iPhone 12 Pro. The music playback test worked the same for me. Powering the phone off, and back on also temporarily changed the lock sound back to normal. Whatever causes this definitely seems to be related to audio playback. I also noticed the issue returns after some other system sounds (i.e. MagSafe, Charging, etc.).

Oct 27, 2020 12:45 PM in response to GoshDamBatman

I contacted Apple support in the hope that it would get moved to the correct dev team etc by explaining what the issue is and that it is probably a software bug etc only to be advised to try a full reset and restore, even though this has been happening since it was new and out of the box, however I will try it in order to go back to them and have it escalated etc

I will keep posting any updates as and when!

Oct 28, 2020 6:48 AM in response to DanielTerry

the same here. 12 Pro. But i've discovered one thing. if you do hard reset (volume up, volume down and hold power button until you see apple logo) that fix the problem.

The problem happened everytime i connect magsafe charger or the silicon case magsafe in iPhone. If i use thunderbird cable no problem. if i reboot the iPhone no problem. only when attach the magsafe (something) the problem come back.

so maybe it's the sound of magsafe create a bug.

Oct 28, 2020 7:14 AM in response to xia91928

I’ve had this same issue, i didn’t really notice it much at first i thought that the sound was changed. It was only when it changed back temporarily that I noticed it. I’d say it’s definitely some kind of software audio bug, as when I removed the magsafe case the lock sound returned to normal. Put the case back on and it went back to being weird.

Oct 28, 2020 9:04 AM in response to adam.w95

So, as instructed by support I did a reset and restore, however as I am pretty sure this is some sort of bug I opted to do a restore using Apple configurator on my Mac instead of the erase all content and settings through iPhone as using configurator would download a fresh copy of iOS 14.1 and so far (almost 24hrs later) the problem hasn’t returned!

The soft reset did work for me but only for a few times of locking.

My guess is that some, if not all iPhone 12 Pro’s have potentially shipped with a rogue/corrupt version of 14.1.

Out of interest what types of 12 pro do you all have and which country did you purchase from, mine is the Pacific Blue 128GB from the UK, just wondering if it only affects certain models etc

Oct 29, 2020 1:59 AM in response to DanielTerry

12 pro pacific blue 256GB UK. I was surprise discover iPhone had a firmware 14.1 because in week before apple went out with that firmware. So for me it's a beta version.....

So after reset and restore you have fix the problem? if you attach the magsafe or cover with magsafe no change the lock sound??

i don't want lost my wifi data, apple pay (i've more than 1 card) etc.... maybe with another firmware it's possible that autofix the problem..but when...

iPhone 12 Pro Lock Sound Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.