Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Carplay issues once moving to IOS 14, 14.0.1 and then 14.1 (No issue when I had IOS 13.7)

I have a 2021 Kia K5 and the first few weeks my iPhone XR worked fine with the wireless Carplay (With the K5 you have to use wireless, cannot be wired). During this time I was on the latest IOS 13 version 13.7 and had no issues. In Sept, I ungraded to IOS 14 and immediately started having issues with Carplay, I waited for 14.0.1 and then 14.1 to see if it would have a fix but still nothing. The problem I have is at random times, sometimes after only a few minutes, sometime 10 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes Carplay disconnect enough for the car to show an error that says "Phone Not Responding. Please reconnect it and try again." (see picture) when this happens I am usually running Spotify and Waze or Google Maps. It happens multiple times throughout the drive. Also the music does not stop and I can hear the turn by turn directions but have to hit OK and then the Apple Carplay button again to see the Map screen (Very annoying and not safe when trying to navigate to a destination. So it seems that the apps are still connected and running but the phone disconnects wirelessly just enough for the car not to see the phone and produce the error. I have tried all combinations of forgetting the network and Bluetooth connection and resetting each both on the car and phone. Renaming the phone connection, restarting the device etc. I have tried everything suggested on multiple Websites/Forums and on this forum. Nothing helps. I also notice that many other people are having this issue since IOS 14 has come out, this is not a random issue it is wide spread and is occurring on multiple car platforms. My question is has this issue been noted and is it being addressed in IOS 14.2? If not Apple has to make the signed IOS 13.7 version available so we can downgrade the working version until this is fixed. It is not only inconvenient it is a safety hazard.

Thank you,

Rich

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 7:25 AM

351 replies

Nov 30, 2020 10:07 AM in response to kayone007

Hello kayone,

Apple is not here on this user to user only forum. Just other users. So we cannot fix anything for you.

You can provide feedback to Apple directly via this link --> https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

You can contact Apple Support by clicking the Contact Support Button at the top of this page

If in the US, you can call Apple at 800-MY-APPLE

Nov 30, 2020 10:14 AM in response to kayone007

kayone007 wrote:

Hello Apple,

Please provide the fix at earliest as there are 'n' number of users are facing this and reported on "Kia Sonet" Forums. Kia Team has officially also raised couple of complains as well to Apple to fix this, what I last update got from my Kia Service executive during my first servicing.

No one from Apple is reading your comments here except to make sure they don't violate the Terms of Use.

Please contact Apple Support directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Apr 22, 2021 10:28 PM in response to IronmanCamper

Before anyone asks - Yes I have read previous posts in this thread.

So I submitted an official complaint to Hyundai HQ worded as below;

"I took delivery of a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Active on January

14, 2021. I reported an issue with Wireless Apple CarPlay regularly

disconnecting the next week when I had the 1500 km service completed. I

contacted the Service department today (14 April) as a follow up to be advised that they

had no update and that the issue is yet to be resolved. This is extremely

frustrating especially as my vehicle has no "Wired" option available.

On further research it is evident that there are many other

Hyundai and Kia owners who are encountering this very same issue. Vehicle

reviews for both Hyundai and Kia recommend potential buyers take this issue

into consideration for models fitted with this Head unit. Not to mention the

potential safety issues associated with trying to use navigation apps

especially with unfamiliar city driving.

I am sure Hyundai can see how this is very damaging for your

reputation.

I believe that I have been very patient thus far, however I

believe that if a satisfactory solution is not found very soon that Hyundai

should consider, in good faith, refitting malfunctioning Head Units with units

that support Wired connection as a back up. "

Well I had a response from Hyundai today stating that this is an Apple issue and, by all accounts, a fix is being worked on. Unfortunately I will have to wait on an IOS update to be released.

Incidentally Wireless Android Auto continues to work perfectly fine.

I guess it's a case of Buyer beware - If you are attached to Apple devices and CarPlay perhaps look for another vehicle make or fork out the extra cash for a higher Trim model that supports wired CarPlay. Obviously not an option if you already own one.

For me, (my opinion only) given the fact that my handset is currently running IOS 14.4.2 and that neither party seems willing to own and fix the issue after more than 6 months, it seems to be much less aggravating & make more financial sense to defect to an Android device and get on with life.

This is my 4th Hyundai, I have never had any trouble, and the phone is cheaper to replace than the car. (again not a suggestion, just my opinion)

Depending on how strongly you feel about this issue and how much time and effort you are willing to expend, (providing you are in Australia) under Australian Consumer Law you may be entitled to -

"Repair, replacement or refund

You can ask a business for your preference of a free repair, replacement or refund, but you are not always entitled to one. For example, the consumer guarantees do not apply if you got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it.

See: Exceptions to consumer guarantees

If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund. When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for your choice of a replacement or refund. For a major problem with a service, you can choose to receive compensation for the drop in value below the price paid, or a refund.

What is a major problem?

A product or good has a major problem when:

• it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it has multiple minor problems that, when taken as a whole, would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about them
  • it is significantly different from the sample or description
  • it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
  • it doesn’t do what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time; or
  • it is unsafe."

Link below;

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund#what-is-a-major-problem-

That said you will still have to wait for either party to admit to, or for it to be proven, who is at fault in this case.

bon voyage!

Nov 30, 2020 10:17 AM in response to IronmanCamper

Hello,

Same annoying WireLess Apple Car Play issue with "Kia Sonet 8" Infotainments as well" after upgrading to 14.0 >= Version of iPhone IOS. No issues were there before 14.0 Upgrade.

There are 'n' number of users are facing this and reported on "Kia Sonet" Forums. Kia Team has officially also raised couple of complains as well to Apple to fix this, what I last update got from my Kia Service executive during my first servicing.

FYI:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217770494240748&set=gm.847476862735554

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KiaSonet/permalink/849253775891196/?comment_id=849989312484309&reply_comment_id=850079829141924

Dec 2, 2020 12:52 AM in response to IronmanCamper

I have this issue with my 3 week old Kia Picanto in Australia. It shows I can disable wireless and use wired instead but I’ve been unable to achieve this.

I’ve asked Kia where the antenna are, thinking maybe getting the phone closer would help. No answer as yet. I’m taking the car back for inspection in 2 weeks.

Kia will likely blame Apple and tell me its

my issue if this is the phone I choose to use and Android had no issues. Fml

Jan 14, 2021 1:37 PM in response to IronmanCamper

The update to fix this issue is finally available. Your dealerships should be able to download it to a thumb drive and do the update. Mine was done today and so far so good, I drove about 15 miles with Waze and Spotify running and had no disconnects. Fingers crossed. Here is a print screen that describes the update if the dealership is unaware and needs to find the bulletin.

Mar 15, 2021 2:58 AM in response to IronmanCamper

Hi all,

I have the same issue on my Kia Picanto MY 2020. I keep contacting with my dealer everyweek to hear about any solution. They updated the software and it didnt work. Today, they sent me the pics below. The pictures are from the Kia's Multimedia supplier Dai-Chi. They are telling me to get logs to a usb stick when the error appears. Then i will send them the usb drive for investigation. This is an worldwide problem and immediately need to be resolved. I hope Kia and Apple are working on this issue.

Here are the pics;

Apr 23, 2021 11:15 AM in response to Dfitzg0u812

Be advised, here in the USA KIA finally admitted to this Apple Carplay problem. Even after KIA sent out this software update, my KIA dealer was insisting there was no such update. Finally after I was tired of bringing my 2021 KIA Sorento Hybrid back to the dealership, i told them I would take legal action. 2 hours later we received a call from them and they said they found the update. (See screen shots of the update attached. But just so you know, even though I had initially had no disconnects, it started doing it again. I am writing to let you all know that there is an update for this problem put out by KIA, this to me admits it is a KIA problem and not an Apple problem, besides, Apple would have given KIA the API months in advance so KIA could have their programs design the KIA software to work flawlessly with APPLE. But they blew it.

Oct 28, 2020 7:29 AM in response to IronmanCamper

No one on this forum can tell you anything about Beta software, so you'll not get an answer about 14.2. And Apple has never supported downgrading iOS, so that's not going to happen either.

Have you contacted Kia to see if your car system has an update for iOS 14? This may be a compatibility issue between the head unit and your car with the newest iOS version on your phone. Kia would have to address this, NOT Apple.

Nov 10, 2020 3:52 PM in response to BTRDY

Unfortunately no, it definitely has to do with iOS 14. I reactivated an old phone that had 13.5.1 and it works fine. But I Don’t wanna pay for two phones. So this tells me that it’s either an iOS 14 issue, or Kia needs to upgrade the version of their software to work with iOS 14. Either way *****, because nobody wants to take responsibility.

Nov 12, 2020 5:46 PM in response to IronmanCamper

Just bought a 2021 k5 LXS AWD yesterday and have iOS 14.2 with my iPhone 11. I am having The same issue where that message comes up every five to ten minutes while driving. Everything is still connected, it just pops up and disrupts the screen. Anyhow, the car also makes me constantly re-connect the phone to the car because of the connectivity issues. I called Apple and they literally were not help. I am bringing this car back to Kia this weekend to have them attempt to fix this. I am very mad about this for spending 35k upwards on a top of the line Kia and not being able to use CarPlay, very frustrating. I hope it’s just an update issue, or else I will be asking for the dealer to give me my money back.

Wireless Carplay issues once moving to IOS 14, 14.0.1 and then 14.1 (No issue when I had IOS 13.7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.