Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Flash Player Uninstall Message Pops Up

Take a look at this screenshot. This is a popup that just occurred.

Did anyone else get this popup just now?:

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 11:13 AM

37 replies

Nov 10, 2020 4:48 PM in response to John Galt

-e Bar folder and its alias:

I trashed the "bar" folder successfully. It was in "Macintosh HD" - now there is a new issue:

The alias to it will not delete, because the bar folder no longer exists (screenshot 2). Clicking "Delete Alias" button will not work (screenshot 3).

Click these images to increase the size:

• Screenshot 1:

-e bar alias seen in Finder (top item):

• Screenshot 2:

The alias "-e bar" can't be opened because the original items can't be found

• Screenshot 3:

"-e bar" can't be modified or deleted because it's required by macOS.

Nov 22, 2020 8:42 PM in response to Wilddrums

Wilddrums Said:

"Thanks for the feedback and the interesting story. I do believe what you described. I just wonder how an experienced - Apple - Unix engineer was not able to come up with a simple C program to handle a low level fix on the file system? WD"

-------

This Took Quite Some Time:

As for the Engineering Team, I'd rather have them fiddle with it. But, to make sure I was entering it correctly, I had to take a picture of these commands, and then view them in my photo library.

Another Interesting Note - and both methods worked today:

Dec 23, 2020 2:21 PM in response to robmonk

About my Post and Apple's Part:

robmonk Said:

Q. 1: "Apple's practice of hosting a site like this to buffer their techs from answering anything directly (?) is pretty annoying. Can Apple-official please weigh in: is the Adobe message legit? What are the steps to properly uninstall whatever it's pointing at?"

A. 1: This is a User-to-User forum. We are all end-users like you. Indeed, it is legit, and coming across this, asking myself the same question, that is why I asked Apple. How was Apple able to verify this it is legit? By me screensharing my iPhone's and my other Mac's, iSight cameras. I hovered over what I did, as we troubleshot it. Learn More at my User Tips:

Q. 2: "If Apple provides no direct support here, then they should stop spamming the search results on Apple OS / iOS tech questions and let us find our own answers without dragging us here to what is a fairly low-quality trouble-shooting resource (sorry other users, but agreed, right?)."

A. 2: Apple did no drag me here - I dragged my self here (so-to-say). I went through a lot with Apple - these forums came first.

Nov 12, 2020 7:23 PM in response to TheLittles

The alias may be a zombie file similar to one described here. I don't know how or if that one was ever resolved. When I encountered it myself years ago I tried the usual techniques but gave up and restored a TM backup.

That is what I recommend at this point. Yours will only be a couple days old anyway, and it may be a "local snapshot" which will only take a couple minutes to restore.

Then, download and run Adobe's uninstaller:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

I happen to know it's effective. Adobe's "uninstall" routine in the popup dialog you encountered is clearly deficient. Can't say I'm surprised.

Dec 10, 2020 8:29 AM in response to ColleenOH

ColleenOH Said:

"I got that pop up too. I don't understand all the technical replies to the issue. I just want to know if I should click 'Uninstall' on the popup."

-------

Yes. Just click the "Uninstall" button. Once clicked, restart the Mac.

Important: Prior to performing this, create a backup of your Mac. That way you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the uninstall.

Dec 23, 2020 1:51 PM in response to robmonk

robmonk Said:

"This is marked 'solved'. Can Apple please clearly mark the solution?"

--------

Just Uninstall it:

Use the uninstaller, as mentioned above by user Kurt Lang.

My issue was, indeed, the popup. But, Adobe kept some junk on there. So, that is why I had to erase the hard drive, and then reinstall everything.

Important: Prior to performing this, create a backup of your Mac. That way you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the uninstall.

Nov 11, 2020 6:39 PM in response to TheLittles

An Update:

1. About the Call:

Got the call back from the Apple Rep, and was informed to run a command in Terminal, and then save the results as a txt file. Then, I uploaded the txt file created, for the Apple Engineers to look at. They (the Apple Engineers), are looking in to this, which seems to be malware installed, though that is uncertain. As a result of the command being run, the root user and wheel user both are shown, along with a date and and time, and the directory name.

2. My Other Mac Got the Popup:

I got that uninstall popup message on my other Mac - but I am not going to fiddle with that popup message. The bar message does not exist on this other Mac, however.

3. Expect a Reply Soon:

So, with the Apple Engineers looking into this, I am awaiting an eMail from the Apple Rep - Tomorrow or Sunday. Expect an update soon everyone - it might be a few days.

Nov 12, 2020 7:04 PM in response to TheLittles

Another Update:

Apple Engineers: "This is a Glitch"

I got a call back from Apple, and am told that this bar file is an alias of the bar folder. Being that Apple told me to delete the bar folder, I proceeded with that. And now that there is no bar folder, this bar alias file is corrupt (being that no bar folder to delete).

So, how do I Uninstall this File?

What I have Tried:

• rm Terminal Command: I tried using an rm command (to remove the alias file), while using Terminal in Recovery Mode. That was of no success.
  • SIP: Performing all of this with SIP disabled, was of no success either

What I have not Tried:

• r*** User: Would creating a bar folder in Macintosh HD fix that? One thought that comes to mind is to recreate the folder. To do that, I'd have to enable the r*** user, create the bar folder, and then try for a successful deletion for the bar alias.

Nov 18, 2020 11:32 AM in response to TheLittles

Update:

Apple called me back - they had me enter three Terminal commands - restarting after entering each command. Once restarted, nothing works - this bar item still resides.

What is to likely happen next, so I am told, is the Mac will be back-up, and we will erase the hard drive and then reinstall the macOS. We will see where it goes from there. Expect a reply to my post late Sunday night.

Screenshot of this bar alias:

Dec 23, 2020 1:02 PM in response to robmonk

Yes, the message is legitimate. My wife got it on her Mac a month or so ago. Until then, I didn't realize it was still on that Mac. Before doing anything, we verified the message was indeed from Adobe. It is.

You can download the uninstaller directly from Adobe on this page. Assuming you're running at least Mac OS 10.6.x, you want to download the linked uninstaller by that name:

Open the .dmg and run the uninstaller. It only takes a few moments.

No, you don't need to erase the drive to do something this basic.

Nov 10, 2020 4:59 PM in response to John Galt

John Gault Said:

"It's a broken alias. It's not doing anything, unfortunately it's at the root level of the startup disk so it can't be deleted either. You might be able to get rid of it by temporarily disabling SIP, or perhaps in Single User mode; I wouldn't know. "

-------

Thanks John.

I got a Reply Back from the Apple Rep - Apple's Engineers got back to the Apple Rep really fast, so I am told. Expect a followup reply post tomorrow.

Nov 10, 2020 5:15 PM in response to TheLittles

Just to answer the original question; yes, my wife got the same thing on her Mini today. Didn't realize we still had Flash on that Mac.

It is real and it is from Adobe. The oddball part of the process is it asks to install a helper tool before it uninstalls Flash. This seemed really backwards (install to remove?). Wondering if, somehow, it was malware/adware, we cancelled out of it and got the Flash uninstaller .dmg directly from Adobe's site. That one did the same thing, so from there it was no longer a concern of being anything nefarious.

Adobe Flash Player Uninstall Message Pops Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.