Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 12 keeps asking for email password

I recently got an iPhone 12 and set up my hotmail account on the phone through the mail app. In the last few days, it has started asking me to re-enter the password every few hours-now up to 6-8 times a day. I've tried deleting and re-installing the account, but to no effect. I've also installed the Outlook app, and it does not seem to have this problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's becoming a real nuisance

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 8:42 AM

Since no one from apple has provided a helpful suggestion, I'll venture this one.

Unfortunately, some updates force apps to break just a little when they have to adjust some security settings.

What I have tried (just today) is:

1. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts
    2. your accoutns will be listed there.
    3. Tap one by one, and check for those that say in red letters "Re-enter password"
    4. Do not re-enter your password (as we have seen, this doesn work).
    5. Instead, go down to delete account, confirm "Delete from my iPhone"
    6. Then go back to accounts, and add the account back in by tapping "Add Account"
    7. Then when the password is asked, enter the password manually, do not use the iOS keychain saved passwords. (this could also be broke or corrupted in some way after the upgrade, better to be safe)
    8. When you enter the password manually, keychain will also update itself with whatever you just entered as a password.

I still do not have evidence that this actually works, but being in IT and security support for a while, leads me to think that is the best route to go... considering that apple may never even see or reply to these posts.

If you think this helps, please mark it as helpful and share your results with a reply so other may benefit from this, or flat out know that my suggestion does not work at all :P (please be constructive with your feedback)

285 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 8:42 AM in response to DPD25

Since no one from apple has provided a helpful suggestion, I'll venture this one.

Unfortunately, some updates force apps to break just a little when they have to adjust some security settings.

What I have tried (just today) is:

1. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts
    2. your accoutns will be listed there.
    3. Tap one by one, and check for those that say in red letters "Re-enter password"
    4. Do not re-enter your password (as we have seen, this doesn work).
    5. Instead, go down to delete account, confirm "Delete from my iPhone"
    6. Then go back to accounts, and add the account back in by tapping "Add Account"
    7. Then when the password is asked, enter the password manually, do not use the iOS keychain saved passwords. (this could also be broke or corrupted in some way after the upgrade, better to be safe)
    8. When you enter the password manually, keychain will also update itself with whatever you just entered as a password.

I still do not have evidence that this actually works, but being in IT and security support for a while, leads me to think that is the best route to go... considering that apple may never even see or reply to these posts.

If you think this helps, please mark it as helpful and share your results with a reply so other may benefit from this, or flat out know that my suggestion does not work at all :P (please be constructive with your feedback)

Dec 3, 2020 10:30 AM in response to DPD25

I uninstalled and reinstalled my hotmail/outlook account and the problem disappeared. I've seen this appear as a solution and a lot of people seem to have success with it. I think this is an IOS 14 issue because I never had it before but coincidently, I upgraded to a new iPhone 12 at the same time I got the new IOS. Anyhow, this seems to have worked for me and for a lot of others. Here are the instructions:

1. Go into Settings > Mail.
  2. Scroll down to Accounts > Outlook.
  3. Select Delete Account.

Once the account is removed, you can add it back in using Settings > Mail > Accounts, and then select Outlook for the type of email account you want to add back in. If you have any trouble doing that, turn your phone off and back on between deleting and adding your outlook account back.

Good luck!

Feb 1, 2021 11:17 AM in response to DPD25

I think I may have found a solution: go to the “Reminders” or “Calendar” app settings. Mail may work too but I do not use the default Mail app.

Then go to Accounts and finally select Outlook. You will probably have a prompt to sign back in to outlook, like I did. The problem seems to have resolved itself after doing this.

If you have not set up multi-factor authentication with Microsoft’s Authenticator App, now would be a very good time to do so to protect yourself!

Dec 4, 2020 5:40 AM in response to peake4

Apple introduced the following two features as part of iOS 14.x; these features potentially introduce issues on a personal network and with any services that uses hardware MAC addresses and/or authentication "timing".

Private Network Address

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph6b324bb33/ios

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202068

Check For Weak Passwords

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iphd5d8daf4f/ios

The simplest method of troubleshooting issues related to authentication and connectivity are:

• Disable Private Network Address
  • Disable Detect Compromised Passwords

An additional step is required if the keychain is sync'ed to the Apple Cloud; the step involves forcing a refresh/sync. This is achieved by simply navigating to Settings > [iCloudAccountName] > iCloud ... the action of navigating the iCloud settings is enough to force a refresh. If you have multiple iOS devices devices connected to an account and sharing settings via the Apple Cloud; ensure to perform the steps at each device so as to ensure that the keychain is consistent.

One completed, close any running apps on your device.

Quit and reopen an app

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph83bfec492/ios

This effectively restores pre-iOS 14 behaviour and simplifies troubleshooting.

Nov 18, 2020 7:59 AM in response to SravanKrA

This is not true... it IS absolutely an iOS issue. Happening to me also, using iP8, and only started after upgrading to iOS 14 (and have since updated twice more to the latest version of iOS 14, with still no resolution).

Oddly enough, it seems to affect one of my hotmail accounts more than the other (though I have had the issue with both of my Hotmail accounts, just at different frequency).

Never had this issue prior to iOS 14, nothing else has changed. And judging by the number of people complaining about it online (including on the MS forums, where again it's been confirmed it's an iOS issue, given it only happens in the default Mail app, and not other mail apps), I would hope that Apple is going to release a fix soon!

Dec 3, 2020 9:08 AM in response to DPD25

I have the exact same issue as the OP, and I concur this has nothing to do with the Hotmail server, rather than an iOS glitch/issue that needs to be resolved ASAP.

Just like the OP, I too have the outlook (Hotmail) app downloaded and it never requires me to re-enter the password each day as the Apple Mail does to all my Hotmail accounts. Screenshot attached for reference.

Dec 6, 2020 2:47 AM in response to P_a_r_a

HI GUYS. I DID POST THIS ANSWER A FEW DAYS AGO BUT I'M NOT SURE IF IT POSTED. ANYWAY! HERE IT IS WITH PICTURES. IT WORKED FOR MY IPHONE 11 PRO AND SEEMS SO FLIPPING SIMPLE. GO TO SETTINGS, THEN SCROLL DOWN TO PASSWORDS. CLICK ON THE PASSWORDS TAB AND THEN CLICK THE AUTOFILLPASSWORDS TAB, IT WILL PROBABLY BE IN THE OFF POSITION. CLICK IT TO THE ON POSITION. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU, IT DID FOR ME. PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW. NOT SURE HOW ALL THIS COMMUNITY STUFF WORKS.

Nov 19, 2020 5:00 AM in response to DPD25

I have a iPhone 11 pro on IOS 14.2 and this same keep asking for Hotmail password has been going on for a while now! It also does the same on my iPad which has up to date IOS on it , very annoying as It dosent keep asking me on my PC, so surely it must be an IOS problem? Glad to know im not going mad as there are lots of us with the same problem!

My iPhone 12 keeps asking for email password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.