Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - Black Screen After Update?

I have a 2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina that I have installed the new Big Sur OS, I did make sure there was enough space to install beforehand which there was.

I now have a mac that is powered up (apple logo on lid is lit up) but the screen is black and I have no idea what to do?

I don't know of it is still installing the OS or if its locked or something else. I set off the install and just left the laptop to do it's thing

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 7:22 AM

Hello! I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro, I had the same problem while installing Big Sur (black screen). I did some research and on Apple help website it suggest to first hold down power to force shut down, then to hold power button again for 10 seconds. After 2-3 attempts, I got the password screen and installation of Big Sur has finished it’s process. The only problem seems that now, if I turn off my computer I have to do the same trick because It gave me a black screen when I tried to start. So as I rely on this MacBook Pro to work from home, I just never power off, just sleep mode.

here is the page I found to resolve temporary my problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210905

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Michael Costello1

Hello! I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro, I had the same problem while installing Big Sur (black screen). I did some research and on Apple help website it suggest to first hold down power to force shut down, then to hold power button again for 10 seconds. After 2-3 attempts, I got the password screen and installation of Big Sur has finished it’s process. The only problem seems that now, if I turn off my computer I have to do the same trick because It gave me a black screen when I tried to start. So as I rely on this MacBook Pro to work from home, I just never power off, just sleep mode.

here is the page I found to resolve temporary my problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210905

Dec 18, 2020 9:26 PM in response to christian1354

Welcome, christian1354, to Apple Support Communities!

The best or closest thing to a solution—for those that don’t have verifiable hardware failures—is the solution linked to in the comment: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252038388?answerId=254133966022#254133966022.

However, as with the person that posted the “solution”, I, likewise, do not recommend opening your MacBook!

Dec 22, 2020 10:22 PM in response to elmarklimov

Welcome, elmarklimov, to Apple Support Communities!

TOMWATSON2468’s approach appears to work, at least for some.

As I wrote to christian1354:

«The best or closest thing to a solution—for those that don’t have verifiable hardware failures—is the solution linked to in the comment: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252038388?answerId=254133966022#254133966022.

However, as with the person that posted the “solution”, I, likewise, do not recommend opening your MacBook!»

Basically, in whatever way you can get your Mac to boot up to a usable state, install Big Sur 11.1, perhaps best by a clean install.

I haven’t seen anything official from Apple clearing the “moratorium” on Big Sur upgrades on 2013–2014 MacBook Pros, but the 11.1 Big Sur version seems to have success with Macs that are not actually suffering from hardware failures.

Nov 18, 2020 2:08 AM in response to Halliday

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Updates is NOT a trailer.

1. I bought this notebook with OS preinstalled.
  2. Apple recommends update their devices. Isn't it?
  3. Following manufacturer recommendations I did it. I didn't do something wrong or illegal I just make an another suggested update, which caused (probably) physically damage of a IO board. If the update turned out to be disastrous for some devices. Where is my fall?

Dec 18, 2020 4:29 PM in response to Halliday

Thanks for the reply. A couple things:

• Analogies don't expire so it doesn't matter how old it is.
  • Analogies are poor parables of the truth. If you feel the need to use an analogy then you don't understand it well enough yourself to explain it clearly.

Take it from someone who used to use analogies all the time and finally realized they don't help, as you can see from all the confused replies.

Nov 20, 2020 7:29 PM in response to arslan77

Update: Got my MacBook back from apple repair. I was charged AED 475/- and they put on Catalina on it. Below is the work authorization email as well as copy of the receipt I paid to apple for the damage done by apple.

You can clearly see in the work authorization notes that they were well aware of the big sur problem but still had a nerve to charge for the repair.

Nov 18, 2020 1:25 AM in response to elmarklimov

Perhaps an analogy may help, elmarklimov:

Suppose you have a car that is rated to be able to tow a trailer of a given size, weight, etc., but you haven’t been towing that trailer for quite some time, but your car seems to be running just fine.

One day, you decide to take a trip using the aforementioned trailer.

So, you set out towing that trailer.

Is it the trailer’s fault if your car has a problem on your trip?

Your car may have seemed to be running just fine, but you haven’t been subjecting it to the added strain of the trailer.

Your car was rated for being able to tow that trailer, but that’s really only under the condition that your car is well maintained in very good condition.

Neither the trailer manufacturer nor the manufacturer of your car is obligated if your car breaks down towing that trailer, even though the car was rated for being able to do so (under condition of the car running in very good condition).

You tow that trailer «on your own risk!!!!»

(Incidentally, I recall reading some things that can be done for that I/O Board. I thought I saw someone indicate that there was some firmware-like fix; at least if nothing is physically damaged, on the board.

I hope for the best, for you and your computer.)

Nov 18, 2020 3:13 AM in response to mknell

I saw it within the Apple Support Communities fora. In a discussion much like this one. (It’s one of the problems with have multiple, disjointed discussions on the very same topic.)

If there is actual, observable damage, mknell, then, yes, it is “permanent”. Fixable only by replacement of components, or the entire I/O board.

However, such physical damage need not be the only cause for the malfunction.

Nov 18, 2020 3:34 AM in response to Halliday

I thought I am following the various discussions, not seeing any "indication" that there was some firmware-like fix

for the i/o board issue. I would be glad to get an exact link.

To me the i/o board is not working at all and it has been caused by the Big Sur installation,

as Catalina last patch was still running fine incl. reboot and all components from the i/o board

working before one day later the Big Sur installation ended after a reboot triggered within the installation

routine in the Black screen, that only disappears if the i/o board is unplugged.

So if there would be a "firmware-like fix" avoiding the i/o board needed to be replaced

I would like somebody to pointing out how that fix can be applied.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2020 3:42 AM in response to elmarklimov

No, elmarklimov. You did nothing «wrong or illegal».

That is, most certainly, not the point.

It’s just as with pulling the trailer: nothing «wrong or illegal».

The manufacturer’s recommendation is to keep your Operating System (OS) up-to-date, by way of updates.

Going from Catalina (10.15.x) to Big Sur (11.0.x) is not an update, but an upgrade. A major upgrade.

It is like taking a car that hasn’t been pulling a trailer, and, “suddenly”, deciding to start pulling said trailer.

Just as a car can seem to be running “just fine”, even though it harbors a “borderline failure”, which can become manifest by changing its load (towing a trailer), the very same can occur with any other hardware, such as computer hardware.

You simply were not aware of the “borderline” failure.

The new “load” of a new OS, could have just as well been the new “load” of a new, “heavier”, more demanding application.

It’s no more, but, also, no less your “fault” than deciding one day to use your car to tow a trailer, that you haven’t been doing, even though the trailer is within the rating of your car (at least when in very good condition).

Apple tested this OS upgrade (Big Sur) on such very good condition MacBook Pros (and others).

Such were within the “rating” for this OS upgrade.

“Worn” systems may be on the borderline.

No one can test for all possible conditions of “wear”.

Big Sur - Black Screen After Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.