Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max screen has yellow tint

Hello,i just buyed an 12 pro max and the display is yellowish like True Tone is too aggressive.With True Tone turned off becomes normal cold white.i had every iphone and this is the first one with such an issue.Im using now Color Filters under Accessibility menu to solve te problem..Please help i don't know if i need to return the device.thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 11:40 PM

So let me share some pics.

left one is my husbands’. Right one is mine.

both iPhone 12 pro Max.

same setting ( both nightshift on, True Tone on)

Just purchased different date, means from different batch I guess.

both purchased in Germany.

mine is greener/yellower obviously?

420 replies

Nov 24, 2020 1:44 PM in response to ssbmx90

ssbmx90 wrote:

Exactly. if we can blow this thread up Community experts will see the issue & it will get pushed faster. I do the same with my job. keep posting and sharing.

Community Experts do NOT transmit customer comments on this USER to USER only forum. Doesn't matter how many posts there are. Cognizant Apple employees don't participate here.

If you all want to get Apple's attention, the ONLY way to do so is to provide feedback via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

That said, it's been widely reported Apple is working on this, so blowing anything up is really not necessary and Apple is directly telling people to wait for the next iOS update (Note: 14.3 is in Beta at this moment). So feel free to use the link I posted or wait for the update. But blowing this thread up isn't going to get you what you think it will.

Dec 8, 2020 1:55 AM in response to Piggledust

Yesterday I went to the Apple Store to change the phone; but when I was there comparing the 11PRO with my 12PRO I could find really slight differences surprisingly (actually the 12PRO looked better - same settings) - look at the picture below (using the same white image).

Also comparing the 12PRO with the XR (same white picture and settings - True Tone off, etc.) there was a very small difference, a very small yellowish on my 12PRO.

They anyway changed my phone, but still I have the same problem; as you can see in the picture below, that has been taken turning on the device without any update/upload, not even the firmware (I believe it was 14.0, but not sure).

This is my experience up to now: inside the Apple Store they have a strong white light (just a slight warm but mostly white), and if you can see my picture at home, where I have a really dimmed warm light (I don't like so much the artificial light 😊), the color seems really wrong (same settings).

So today, with the white clouded sky, I tried again ....

...my impression/conclusion is that the screen adapt according the external light even if you disable the True Tone (that should perform this adjustment); it is doing some tuning and even the bright change. If this is true, it is normal that I can see so much difference between XR and 12PRO in the dark.

At this point, I'll wait the issue of the 14.3 iOS to see if the Apple engineers solved the issue: my suggestion to them is to disable any auto-update of the color screen when True Tone is disable, leaving a clear/real white color (especially when you turn on the device for the first time - not a good advertisement for iPhone); moreover, I would suggest that even when you enable the True Tone, there should be some kind of manual regulation of warm-cold (as it is in the night-shift setting), so the customer can also adjust it.

I still believe that a 1200€ Phone should not have such issues and the customer should no do any kind tuning: we buy Apple for the quality, the customer support and a device that is ready as soon as you sync it (if I wanted to hack phones and play with settings, I would buy a cheap Android).

But for now, meanwhile I'm waiting for some Apple good news/updates, after so many attempts, I found a way to have a almost real white on my phone; I show my procedure below (hoping that someone could find some help):

TONALITA' = HUE

• disable all the TrueTone and night shift
  • Download a real white image that covers almost all the screen (I have attached one picture below)
  • Use also another good display phone or good screen monitor with the same image for comparison
  • Brightness at least at 80% or more
  • do the following tuning in the dark (eventually repeat it during the day)
  • -> first increase the INTENSITY level at least at 50%
  • -> after, start changing the HUE level: you need to find the "over-layer" color on the screen that is between green and blue;
  • -> remove the INTENSITY level (0%) and check the picture

(intensity is used only to notice the real changes of the color moving slightly the level of the HUE)

• repeat the previous 3 steps above until you are satisfy of the white color.

I did it several times, in several days to find what for me is ok.

Good luck, and let me know.

Jan 1, 2021 9:34 AM in response to cristianro

I see, so you're suggesting that if I'm not unhappy with the color of my screen, I shouldn't post on this thread? Everyone is and should be welcome to post here. I find it amusing when people get angry when a poster doesn't share the same view of whatever the topic is.

I could ask you the same question. Why are you posting here? Do you not realize this is a user to user ONLY forum. Apple isn't here. Apple isn't reading your posts, unless you violate the terms of use, which are read by Forum Hosts and removed for violating TOU. By posting here, Apple isn't going to do anything for you or anyone else who isn't happy.

When you purchase the forum, you can decide who can post and say what. Until then, you need to accept not everyone is unhappy and that is precisely why I've posted here. I'm not unhappy. You can disagree with me and that's fine. New people coming to this thread should be able to see not everyone feels the same about the screen on their phone.

I do recommend you send Apple your thoughts about the screen by providing feedback via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

This is the only sure way for your voice to be heard by Apple.

Jan 15, 2021 11:22 AM in response to cristianro

I don't feel the panel on my phone is faulty at all. Has nothing to do with being a fan either. I LIKE the screen on my phone. It is not as stark white as my previous phone, but it is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Since you're not happy however, you should let Apple know how you feel. Whether I like or you don't like the panel on our phones isn't getting any notice from Apple here on this user to user only forum.

Feedback to Apple goes here --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Feb 3, 2021 7:00 AM in response to jsm2d

LOL. Read the terms of use you agreed to when you joined the forum, which actually defines what this forum is about. I've been here over 10 years. You've been here what a nano-second? And I'll be here far longer after you've gone back wherever you came from.

Since it's clear you've never read the TOU, here are they are for your reading pleasure: Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Nothing personal either "man."

Nov 27, 2020 3:44 AM in response to clarinho

Thank you Sarah,

I hope that you are right because this time APPLE did really a wrong job!

It is not good to lose such trust from customers (considering that Apple devices costs too much already): people are still buying Apple for quality; but if quality begins to lack......

What is really strange to me is that some devices has the issue and some seems not (I saw in a APPLE store); what does this means?:

• is APPLE buying display from different sub-vendors?
  • people that have different display have different quality? (and all payed the same amount)
  • how is it possible missing such quality control during the production? do they check color and brightness when the device is assembled?
  • I mean: still on your website, comparing an iPhone XR with an iPhone 12 PRO, you declare that the new one has 800 nit against 625 nit of the XR; but comparing the real two phones, the XR seems more bright and more new model than iPhone 12 PRO (even the iPhone7 looks more bright, actually).

Dec 13, 2020 1:07 PM in response to Art M.

Hey all,

I was concerned about this myself in terms of never having worked with an OLED display before. I've done CRTs, Plasma, and LCDs this is my first OLED. Anyway way. I took what people were saying and put together a couple of basic tests to confirm if this was hardware vs software since people have been screaming from either side.

In my findings, the color tint is controlled by software, and at least for me is NOT a panel problem.

To confirm this for yourself do the following:

1. find a daylight or blue/white source of light such as an LED flashlight, or daylight or cool white bulbs.
  2. With True Tone enabled, and auto brightness enabled shine your light source on the iPhone's sensors (in the notch)

if your display is working correctly, you will see it get bright and turn to a much whiter tint. If this happens you can rest assured, your hardware and panel are fine, and the color tint is strictly software as Apple has already stated.

Hope this helps. I would provide a video for documentation, however I do not have a second camera good enough to get accurate results at this time.

Have a great day!

Dec 16, 2020 9:08 AM in response to R Cripps

Ya which issue.... I am seeing multiple

1. yellow screens
  2. green screens
  3. True Tone too yellow
  4. paper Looking yellow on my 12 mini
  5. black flickering
  6. weird coating on the screen that shows lighter or darker depending on how you angle the screen (looks yellow) when screen off under white light)

did I miss anything?

sounds like a general cop out samsung will be the next phone since apple quality has apparently taken a ****.

Dec 20, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Piggledust

The return process in Sweden is complicated. I bought the phone on contract and the package is opened. If I return the phone, they will send it to the nearest apple service center, they will take a look at it, if the phone is repairable they will repair it, if not they will replace it. This process takes 2-4 weeks. I have several conversations with apple support about this issue without any results. So I guess I have 2 options.

1. sell the phone and loos money
  2. wait till apple comes with some fix, hardware or software

Jan 28, 2021 11:43 AM in response to Piggledust

Car comparisons rarely work for a cell phone. Particularly one which is potentially dangerous. Is a warmer iPhone screen dangerous? I don't think so.

To your follow up post, I get your point. Here are your options:

1. Adjust the color yourself to be what you want
  2. If it's that big a deal, return the phone if you're within the return period or sell it if you cant. Life's too short to fume about the hue of the screen on your cell phone

Jan 28, 2021 2:36 PM in response to Holly_Dolly

A couple comments about your first paragraph.

1. No one here can fix anything. No one here works for Apple. Apple doesn't participate here. You say you're looking for a solution? Other than usiing settings to adjust your screen to the exact color hue you want, there is NO solution. That's why its been suggested over and over to tell Apple directly what you think about this by providing feedback through the feedback link which has been posted multiple times in this thread.
  2. Commiserating isn't exactly what this forum is for. This forum is a technical support forum for people to ask "how" questions about their iPhone. Saying you don't like the color of your screen isn't exactly a how question. Saying it over and over doesn't help you as no one here can change anything with the screens on iPhone, because as mentioned, no one here works for Apple, nor has anything to do with Apple and as has also been said, Apple doesn't participate here.
  3. Still, you can commiserate if you want. Just don't expect that to deliver anything other to make you feel better if commiserating makes your day.

Nov 22, 2020 7:58 AM in response to ovidiu06

I have a 12 pro max and my friend got the 12 pro, we both have the yellow tint and neither of us have the green tint, I am aware that these are big issues and I have heard SUPPOSEDLY Apple told their employees not to service these issues on the iPhone 12 test because they’re aren’t sure if it’s hardware or software yet, I wouldn’t return it, what I did was go to settings> accessibility> display & text> color filter> and then selected what is shown below, I would wait a 1-3 months for it to be sorted out and either fixed with software or if it’s hardware they should replace it for free because it’s a defective display.

iPhone 12 Pro Max screen has yellow tint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.