Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro: Facetime / speakerphone microphone audio cuts in and out

My wife recently upgraded from the iPhone X to 12 Pro. For Facetime calls, she frequently positions the phone propped up on her desk (bottom part on desk) so it's hands-free. This seems to cause the audio to cut in and out for the people on the other end of the call. My guess is the noise cancellation to prevent feedback from the speakers is causing it. However, it's not an issue on any of the older model iPhone we've had. We've tried it with both case on and off and tried turning off noise cancellation in the settings, but didn't work.

Is anyone having the same issue? I'm wondering if this might be a software fix in the future or if it's hardware related.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 9:18 AM

Yes! We are having the same issue. And also did not have this issue with iPhone X or iPhone 7. We now both have iPhone 12 and while speaking to my wife she places the phone on counter on speaker while she washes dishes, cooks etc. Sound begins to cut in and out eliminating her voice at times, along with everything else at times. This must be some software glitch.

Similar questions

191 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 9:18 AM in response to Napoleon71

Yes! We are having the same issue. And also did not have this issue with iPhone X or iPhone 7. We now both have iPhone 12 and while speaking to my wife she places the phone on counter on speaker while she washes dishes, cooks etc. Sound begins to cut in and out eliminating her voice at times, along with everything else at times. This must be some software glitch.

Jan 9, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Napoleon71

Our family now has the same problem described in this thread. Both my son and daughter had iPhone X devices and my husband and I had iPhone 8s. We wanted to upgrade so we upgraded them to iPhone 12 Pros and we took over their X devices. We FT every day with. them. The audio will cut in and out consistently unless we do the following: my son or my daughter put in an AirPod to use for their microphone speaker OR we have to constantly put our X phone on Mute while they are talking, come off of mute to talk and then go back and forth with our X phone mute button to have an unbroken conversation. So dang annoying. I don’t know what to ask for from Apple to fix the problem but I don’t want to continue paying for this device through Verizon. Any fixes in mind on how to handle????

Mar 20, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Purpleocean

I found this and it is really weeks when I noticed the issue too.

Nothing solved it atm so no idea what apple is doing https://piunikaweb.com/2020/11/30/iphone-12-series-microphone-on-facetime-facebook-messenger-other-video-calling-apps-seems-broken-as-per-user-reports/

I have also found 2 more discussions that do not have useful answers:

iPhone 12 Microphone Issue - Apple Community

iPhone 12 Pro - Microphone issue - Apple Community

Feb 17, 2021 10:29 AM in response to JustDebd

I completely agree Apple needs to fix this. In the meantime I found making the change I detailed in my post on Feb 5 has been a successful workaround for me. Below is the detailed change from that post. Make the change and then try FaceTime and see if it clears it up.

Turn the microphone OFF for all the apps currently requesting access to it:

• Go to Settings => Privacy => Microphone
  • Turn all of these OFF and leave them OFF

Nov 17, 2020 10:37 AM in response to MrBill3

Hello, I don't think it's blocked because the Voice Memos app and Videos still pickup the audio fine when the phone is in the same position.

The only thing I can think of is the noise is reflecting off the surface causing the noise cancelling to activate and turn off the mics intermittently. We don't have the issue with the iPhone X, so wondering if it's a software issue or if the hardware components were moved in the 12 (or the 11).

Nov 30, 2020 4:05 AM in response to Napoleon71

I recently upgraded from the iPhone 8+ to the 12 as well and having the same problems. Verizon had restated my Network Settings and the noise stop on the receiver side for a little and then it came back. We fixed the SIM card did a hard reset...nothing. Apple then did a software diagnostic and said it was good so now I have to take it to Apple to do a hardware test on it. I’m close to just having them giving me a new iPhone 12 and turning the one I have in.

Dec 4, 2020 10:32 AM in response to Napoleon71

I just tested this issue. When the iPhone 12 is in portrait mode sitting on a hard surface the Audio / speakers voice when heard on the other end is choppy, goes in and out. When the iPhone is picked up, or rotated to landscape the Audio / speakers voice when heard on the end is clear and crisp. There is a hardware design issue with the Microphone on the iPhone 12. More than likely this issue will need to be resolved on the next iPhone, this is not a software issue.

Dec 27, 2020 3:34 PM in response to Napoleon71

I have the same issue and have found it's definitely related to my case. If I use a more rugged case with thick protection, my theory is that the speakerphone and mics are deep in holes of the case and it creates some sort of a tunnel or echo effect which causes the mics to cut out when on speakerphone so that the other party hears your voice cutting in and out. When I take my phone out of the case, no issue. I've experimented with different cases and this always seems to be "the case". Thinner cases like a simple silicone shell don't seem to have the issue but a full body rugged protection like an Otterbox always has issues on speakerphone. I've had iPhones for years and never had this issue until now, so I suspect they didn't consider this fully whenever they designed the latest iPhone 12. It's incredibly annoying and I hope that Apple might have some software fix to help improve the speakerphone audio.

Here's a link to the same issue with the iPhone 11 which is very similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5LENZlrvY

Jan 14, 2021 12:50 PM in response to Napoleon71

My sister had a similar problem with her iPhone 11 whereby she was always muted whenever anyone else was speaking on a group call such as Facetime, Zoom or Whatsapp, or when she was using the speakerphone on a normal voice call. The effect was rather like a "half duplex" system whereby only one person can talk at a time.

The problem did not happen when she was using her airpods or another bluetooth headset, only when she was using the speaker.

It turned out that the problem was her phone case was covering a small microphone (tiny pinhole) on the top of the phone next to the power button. Once she took the case off the phone, the problem was solved. I gather this little microphone is used as part of the "echo suppression" system the iPhone uses.

The person that appears muted when others are speaking is the person with the case covering the microphone, so it may not be you that has the problem. If in doubt, ask all those on the group call to remove their cases!

iPhone 12 Pro: Facetime / speakerphone microphone audio cuts in and out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.