Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“macOS Big Sur” could not be verified.

I have tried twice to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur and every time I get this message. Why does the update not work?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 7:10 AM

gerritfval Said:

"'macOS Big Sur' could not be verified.: I have tried twice to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur and every time I get this message. Why does the update not work? [...]I have tried to install as per your feedback in safe mode, but it goes back to the fault message.[...]

———-

Reinstall it All Anew:

The best way around this is to backup your Mac, erase all the volumes, and then install it anew. Once installed transfer the folders and applications.

Refer to my User Tip: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TBM Prior to Upgrade. The scenario is a bit different, but if you follow it, you will see how to perform what I mentioned above. Hope it helps.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 7:10 AM in response to gerritfval

gerritfval Said:

"'macOS Big Sur' could not be verified.: I have tried twice to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur and every time I get this message. Why does the update not work? [...]I have tried to install as per your feedback in safe mode, but it goes back to the fault message.[...]

———-

Reinstall it All Anew:

The best way around this is to backup your Mac, erase all the volumes, and then install it anew. Once installed transfer the folders and applications.

Refer to my User Tip: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TBM Prior to Upgrade. The scenario is a bit different, but if you follow it, you will see how to perform what I mentioned above. Hope it helps.

Nov 19, 2020 10:06 PM in response to gerritfval

gerritfval Said:

"'macOS Big Sur' could not be verified.: I have tried twice to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur and every time I get this message. Why does the update not work?"

-------

Please Provide a Screenshot of this:

1. Go Here: Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: How to capture a window or menu
  3. Proceed form there as necessary

Attach the images using this button (first button-in from far-right)

Dec 31, 2020 11:06 AM in response to murderofcrowes

murderofcrowes Said:

"HMy macboo pro is absolutely brand new and it still won’t instal BigSur because my mac ‘can’t be ‘verified’. Personally, I could care less if I have BigSur, I just want a computer that works.[...]

———-

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?

Seems you have a bug in your Mac. If this is less than 14 days old, then return it. You have a one-year limited-warranty. So, rather than risk a dead Mac, take this into Apple

Have Apple look into this. Start by contacting Apple***, and request that a Genius Bar Appointment be Reserved. You would take this to your Local Apple Store, during which the battery and all other necessities would be looked at.

***Info on Contacting Apple:

Proceed from there as Necessary

Nov 21, 2020 5:25 AM in response to TheLittles

I have tried to install as per your feedback in safe mode, but it goes back to the fault message. The update finishes at 12,18GB and hangs for more than an hour and then gives the fault message. See attached photos. I have more than enough space available for the install and cannot understand why the software revoke the installation! I have tried this now 4 times and it is the same repeat everytime.

Nov 24, 2020 6:05 AM in response to TheLittles

I have finally after 7 attempts installed macOS Big Sur on my MacBook Air 2017. The download terminated every time after it reached the full download capacity of 12.18GB. I tried again starting yesterday morning and finally the download finished this morning at 07h00 am (GMT +02h00) South African Standard Time.

There was no problems with the installation and the operating system is working 100%.

Thank You all for your assistance and input on the problems experienced with installation.

Regards

Gerrit Valentine

Dec 31, 2020 10:05 AM in response to gerritfval

My macbook pro is absolutely brand new and it still won't instal BigSur because my mac "can't be verified". Personally, I could care less if I have BigSur, I just want a computer that works. However, in the past if you don't keep upgrading OS as they are available (usually losing beloved software compatibility and earning new bugs each time), then eventually nothing works. So . . . do I really have to install BigSur? If so how can a normal person with a brand new computer get the darn thing on board without having to "oh just simply erase everything . . . yada yada volumes . . reboot . . reinstall . . . " balony. Do macs work with their own operating systems or not?

Jan 18, 2021 7:26 PM in response to jezabel130

In the end a lot of my problems were fixed by restarting the macbook then creating a new admin user (needs a new name) and deleting the original one that for some reason had a lot of glitches. Because I hadn't put much on the new computer yet, it was no big deal to just start from scratch again and worth it when everything worked finally. That might not be the issue in your case, but if you haven't done much to the new computer yet it might be worth a shot.

PS - the agent was able to reassure me this was not an indication of a dud macbook that had to be replaced, and I have to say it's been working great ever since that simple fix.

“macOS Big Sur” could not be verified.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.