Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse 2 lag after upgrading to macOS X Big Sur.

While keeping the exact same setup, the Magic Mouse 2 is now lagging after upgrading to MacOs Big Sur. A lot! I tried reset the bluetooth module (shift + opt and click on Bluetooth icon); tried turn off and on; reconnect devices and problem persists. I also have the keypad on the bluetooth.

MacBook Pro 15 Touch Bar (2016)

Please provide a fix, since I cannot have normal productivity on my work with this serious issue.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 6:25 AM

Delete the preferences from the ~/Library/Preferences/ directory

• com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist 
  • com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist 

Then your problem is gone.

Similar questions

26 replies

Mar 26, 2021 12:59 AM in response to Archibaldthegrim

Yes, same issue here - Mac Mini in this case, OS 11.2.3, Magic Mouse that worked perfectly under prior OS. Cursor movement is irregularly very slow, and sometimes the Mac thinks I'm holding down the ";" key, even when the keyboard is unplugged.

Deleting com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist is a temporary fix.

com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist doesn't exist on my system.

Nov 29, 2020 2:33 PM in response to ricmoura

Hi ricmoura,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your Magic Mouse 2 is not as responsive after the update to macOS Big Sur. We'd like to help.

You mentioned that you also are using a bluetooth keyboard. Are you having those same issues with the keyboard? If you disconnect the keyboard, do you see an improvement with your mouse? Do you have another mouse you could test to see if this is isolated to the Magic Mouse 2?

If you are still having issues after testing it without the keyboard or with another mouse, booting into safe mode can help. This resource can help you get into that mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know how that goes after you complete that step.

Nov 29, 2020 3:41 PM in response to ricmoura

We are fellow users, so cannot provide a fix, and Apple product teams do not participate in these public communities. You can however, provide constructive feedback to the Magic Mouse product team.

As with any bluetooth device, you need to be aware that interference from same frequency, proximal devices (e.g. cell phones, other bluetooth peripherals, etc.) can interfere with the Magic Mouse 2. A low battery condition will also have an impact on its usability, and connection durability.

Jun 21, 2021 6:14 PM in response to jpdemers

• I tried your suggestions, no luck. Just to clarify, the mouse was working perfectly fine until the last update of Big Sur, on my mac mini (late 2014 model - connected by ethernet). Just to rule out the mouse/optical sensor etc. I tried it on another mac (MacBook pro 2019 using Catalina), with no problems. Others agreed with you about interference of some sort, so I did try your suggestions. Also all 4 usb ports are empty. I disconnected my bluetooth apple keyboard, I removed the files com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist 
  • com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist 

Checked the track speed, Tried in safe mode. Called Apple support twice.

The only thing that worked was to throw the $80.00 magic mouse in the drawer, and dust off the old HP wired mouse that is lightening fast..Ugh More suggestions are appreciated.

Feb 19, 2021 2:51 AM in response to ricmoura

I bought a brand new MacBook Air top of the range Aug 2020. Countless issues inc crash on sleep, frequent Wifi drops and slow, stuttering mouse from time to time. After countless hours, countless reinstalls, countless support calls etc - sent Mac back to Apple to fix. I had to buy ANOTHER Mac as I rely on it for work. Just updated the new Mac (which I reset) telling me they could not replicate any problems (really?!) - so I updated to BigSur, and within 5 mins, a slow stuttering mouse. Not permanently, but every now and then, just to remind you it is there. Lasted 5 seconds or so. I didn't experience this on my other new Mac (both are Intel not M1) - though both crash on sleep, and both drop Wifi in a random fashion.

I'm a fully converted Apple user for 10 years now - but THIS REALLY ***** and reminds me of Windows bollocks.

Feb 19, 2021 7:04 AM in response to MarkB_Apple

Hi friend, same but same identical problems with this MagicMouse.

After much hope lost on updates to fix this, I bought a Logitech Mouse and Keyboard combo (100usd)

I guest what, keyboard experience improved due to size and form, and mouse experience revealed too. It has a metallic central scroll wheel, that allow you to move up and down very fast. That for my coding is gold.

Keep looking for the correct update to fix the mouse issue ...

Mar 11, 2021 9:17 AM in response to ricmoura

The resolution provided only works temporarily, in my experience for maybe a day or two.

I'm having this issue on my 2017 21" iMac and It's annoying as h*ll. Intermittently the mouse will go from having excellent response times to taking between half a second to a few seconds to react to my inputs. Meaning I move the mouse.... wait a few seconds (actually a 1 - 3 seconds!) and THEN the mouse reacts on the screen.

This only started happening with macOS Big Sur. Really wish Apple would figure out what's going on here, this is not an uncommon issue.

Apr 17, 2021 3:36 PM in response to jpdemers

I've resoled this problem with my 21.5" iMac 2017 with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

In my case, this had almost nothing to do with the mouse, the mouse was just the most visible effect of the root problem.

I started watching my activity monitor like a hawk, I noticed something was taking up nearly 30%- 40% of my processor all the time, even with no programs open. It was the Window Server. I started digging into what could cause the Window Server to eat up so many resources. I have two external 1080p monitors hooked up to my iMac via USB-C, the primary iMac display was set to be scaled so items would be roughly the same size across the 3 displays. Well if you go into your Display scale settings, adjusting to anything except "Default" causes a new notice to appear: "Using a scaled resolution my affect performance".

So the Window Server was bogging down EVERYTHING to scale my primary display and push two external displays, and the Bluetooth mouse performance just happens to be one of the first things to go when your system is hungry for more CPU.

I've been running 3 displays on this iMac since at least Mojave without issues, I'm not sure what "advancements" Apple made to cause this to happen but I'm happy to have a working computer again.

Hope this helps!

May 7, 2021 12:27 AM in response to maartenwilbers

I have deleted the 2 files and it didn't work, the lag was still very bad, BUT my internet also started to become non responsive at this time. I turned of the wifi and the lan connection, waited 10 sec and turned it back on and voila I have no lag on my mouse. I don't know if this is a solution but the internet connection or the hardware/software that controls/connects to the internet definitely had something to do with this issue on my Mac mini M1 and Magic Mouse 2 that lagged.

Magic mouse 2 lag after upgrading to macOS X Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.