Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver tuns on while using MacBook

The screen saver turns on while I am using my MacBook Air m1.

Maybe its the new m1 chip or the Big Sur OS.

I am running Big Sur 11.0.1.

When te screensaver turns on I can't disable it.

It turns on even while I am typing or using the trackpad or mouse.

I need to close the lid to turn of the screensaver and then I can continue.

Anyone else having the same problem.

Ps. I use the new Big Sur screen saver.

I am going to try a other screensaver to see if that is the problem

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:32 AM

27 replies

Nov 23, 2020 11:43 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

PvdHeuvel wrote:

I am going to try a other screensaver to see if that is the problem

That's a good idea. Alsolog into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

If it doesn't log back into your account and then boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Report back with the results.

Jan 11, 2021 8:11 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

From what I've seen, this is a problem with multi-user systems where multiple people are logged into the machine at the same time, and the fast user switching feature has been used.

You can either work around it by only ever having one logged in user at a time, or follow the instructions in the third paragraph:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252083925?answerId=254205721022#254205721022

It worked for me.

Dec 19, 2020 11:49 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

I am reporting same issue on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 on a brand new Mac Mini M1 with new setup, nothing carried over or migrated from any previous setup. After I sign in or log in to my account, the Screen Saver starts without being invoked, I have even indicated the setting for it to start after Never. Sometimes I can't find the login prompt leaving me with the only option to restart the computer.

I have several accounts for my family, three users, and a Guest user. The only thing that has helped me, a workaround, is to set Hot Corners under Screen Saver where I set one of the corners to Put Display to Sleep for it to go dark and when I trigger a wake up with either a keypress or mouse click it will prompt me for my password to log in.

It seems that the System Preferences options have to be activated and deactivated a couple of times in order to work. My computer, Mac Mini M1, came running with FileVault on, and since there are a few issues with speed and hiccups of encryption, I chose to deactivate FileVault, not sure if this is also part of the messy issue.

Dec 21, 2020 5:37 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

I'm also experiencing infrequently experiencing the issue on my M1 based Air. I have no screen saver enabled, and hot corners are turned off.

When in this state the screen saver continues to run, the mouse pointer moves ontop of it. Only way to dismiss the screen saver is to close and open the lid, it's immediately responsive.

Dec 16, 2020 9:30 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

I have the same issue from day one and it is extremely annoying. I was hoping with the latest update it would be fixed, but it still happens. Out of no where, the screen saver takes full control, and nothing can stop it. At first i was really struggling to take back control, but now i found a trick that works all the time even though it is ridiculous.

Completely close the lid, then lift it back up. This should get you going again until then next surprise attack by the screen saver.

I really hope Apple fixes this, for some reason it seems far away from their radar!

Screensaver tuns on while using MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.