Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost files after Big Sur upgrade

I use Microsoft Word for school. Everything I work on I save to documents on my Mac. After the Big Sur update all of the documents in my document folder are now gone. When I open Word, I can see them all in my recents, but I am unable to open them - it says that the file is deleted or I don't have access to them. Underneath each file says:

Macintosh HD >> User >> haleysotiros >> Documents

Alas, they are nowhere to be found. I have tried:

• Unticking the Finder thing in my iCloud
  • Checking my iCloud (empty)
  • Going through my OneDrive to see if it was there
  • Looking in the finder for .docx
  • Doing the command + shift to unhide documents
  • Looking in the finder with this guy "~" (not sure what it did, but someone recommended that)
  • Checking restrictions for Word - there are none
  • Right clicking on the document in recent - nothing

I did not have the time tracker or whatever the back up was called because I didn't know about it. Anyways, if there is a patron saint for finding mysteriously disappeared documents, please point me in the right direction.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 7:06 AM

I had this same issue. It appears that iCloud Drive had the Desktop/Documents folders setting toggled off during the update.

I resolved the problem by going to System Preferences -> Apple ID -> iCloud and selecting the options button next to iCloud Drive. Then turn on Desktop & Documents Folders.

In my case the files were immediately displayed after changing this setting.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 7:06 AM in response to haleysotiros

I had this same issue. It appears that iCloud Drive had the Desktop/Documents folders setting toggled off during the update.

I resolved the problem by going to System Preferences -> Apple ID -> iCloud and selecting the options button next to iCloud Drive. Then turn on Desktop & Documents Folders.

In my case the files were immediately displayed after changing this setting.

Dec 2, 2020 3:46 AM in response to haleysotiros

I also lost files, but not all my files. I'm not sure which ones as it was on my work computer. I just know I needed my spreadsheets from Numbers at the beginning of the month and now I am lost. Every .number file on my computer was erased. There also seems to be missing some other word and excel files. I also would appreciate any help one can give.

Thank you

Dec 16, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Patrick McConnell

After updating Big Sur my desktop has disappeared. I tried the remedy by going to System Preferences->Apple ID->iCloud and selecting the box beside Turn on Desktop & Documents Folders but it didn't work. Hopefully Apple will see our problem and help us fix the issue because a great deal of information is on many of our desk tops.

I upgraded Big Sur today but fortunately I backed everything up last night to 3TB MyPassport hard drive. Unfortunately, I do not know how to the hard drive to get things put back on the desktop.

Feb 7, 2021 12:14 PM in response to haleysotiros

After upgrading to Big Sur, all my data seemed to have disappeared. In my case, this was because my login folder was on an external disc.

None of the app.s could find their data, except Finder that could see them, so I knew that they were still there. It took me a long time to work out what was wrong.

it seems that during the update the external disc, when the external disc wasn’t mounted, the system noticed that it could not find the home directory and create an empty template home directory. Then when the system tried to mount the disc, it could not mounted in the usual place, and mounted it with a different name. All the applications were looking in the empty template which is why they could not find my data.

if you think this might have happened to you, you can check as follows:-

1. Open the Terminal app.
  2. Type in “ls /Volumes/“

You should get something like:-

Mac-mini:~ user$ ls /Volumes
Macintosh HD      external
external 1
Mac-mini:~ user$

If you get two entries for your external drive, one of simply its name and one with “ 1” on the end, when you have this problem.

The one without “ 1” is the folder created by the Big Sur upgrade; this is where the disc should be mounted. The one with the “ 1” is where the system has mounted the disc. You cannot simply delete the directory created by the upgrade, because the system won’t let you. I only had one home directory on the disc. I noted all the user details, and deleted it. I was then able to delete are upgrade-created directory. Then I unmounted and immediately re-mounted the disc (using Disk Utility) and then had its original mount point. I then recreated the user, and it worked fine.

(It might be necessary delete the user; it might be sufficient to change its home directory to somewhere else and change it back.)

Dec 19, 2020 8:22 AM in response to barrygs

"Options" button doesn't even pop-up when I go to System Preferences->Apple ID->iCloud to even select "Turn on Desktop & Documents Folders".

I have lost important documents!!! And had to re-install drivers for printers.

Not happy with Apply right now!! And I just spend $1500 on an Apple Air for my daughter. I should have just gotten her a Microsoft product for Christmas.

Dec 21, 2020 1:56 PM in response to Patrick McConnell

This did not work for us. When I click on iCloud storage it shows close to 10 GB of data, but when I go into any of the folders.....nothing. Thanks Apple! Looks like we will be backing up to Drive from now on. Has anyone tried using Time Machine to restore data? I am uncertain if I can back out of the fiasco of an update and revert back to Catalina?

Dec 21, 2020 6:21 PM in response to haleysotiros

Being new with Mac, I freaked out when I couldn't locate my folder in "Macintosh HD" after upgrade to Big Sur. All I had to do was to search the name of my folder in the "Macintosh HD" where I had it saved before upgrade and was able to locate it that way. Luckily for me I had everthing under one folder and was easy to locate it and all my files seemed to be there. Once I located it, then I had to copy it to my desktop. Hopefully Apple comes up with a fix asap.

Dec 25, 2020 1:01 AM in response to haleysotiros

I had exactly the same issue after the update Big Sur. All the files that were on the Desktop disappeared. Once I managed to tick the iCloud settings, the files that were on iCloud came back to the desktop, but the sub-folder and bigger files did not, since they were not linked to iCloud. My downloads folder/files were intact, so it didn't make any sense that only the desktop would have been erased due to the update. I contacted Apple Support and they were hopeless, to be honest. All I got was an apology, since my files were not backed-up and not in iCloud, they were gone. ALL MY WORK FILES GONE.

So here is what I founded out by myself and might be helpful: find a file's name that you know you had on your desktop and it's "gone" > Search it in Finder > if you are lucky as me and find it double-click it and "Show in Enclosing Folder" > this should lead you to your old "Desktop" folder > move the files from there to your new "Desktop - Local" folder.

There you go, this worked for me! I have no idea where the old desktop folder was actually located and why it wasn't showing up. Also why there are two Desktop folders anyway. I hope this help someone as well! I almost had a heart attack over Christmas.

Dec 29, 2020 1:02 PM in response to theoldabattoir

All of my folders/files on my internal hard drive went missing after upgrade to Big Sur. However, when I check the backups in Time Machine I see another volume called Hard Drive - Data which contains all my items previously held in my internal hard drive. Problem is I can't seem to move all those HD - Data folders over to my internal HD volume. Only 4 folders related to the Big Sur upgrade are in my current internal HD. HELP!

Jan 4, 2021 4:39 AM in response to haleysotiros

My desktop & Documents Folders is already checked (on), my files are still missing. Thanks Apple. Why do you insist every few months on either deleting all my music, my photos or my files??!

SO IT ALSO TURNS OUT PEOPLE THAT IF YOU BACK UP TO ICLOUD AND TO A TIME MACHINE EXTERNAL DRIVE, THE EXTERNAL DRIVE BACKS UP WAHT IS IN ON YOUR ICLOUD DRIVE NOT ON YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. SO NEITHER TIME MACHINE NOR ICLOUD BACK UP WORKS!!! GREAT GREAT WORK APPLE

lost files after Big Sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.