Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services disabled after every restart

I have already sent a feedback report to Apple about this issue, but I find it a bit strange that so far nobody else seems to have noticed it or simply does not have the issue at all.

Whenever I restart my iMac (27inch, 2019, 5K) the Location Services (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy) become disabled and the apps to which I gave permission to use them, are missing from the list. I have to manually switch the Location Services on again, and wait for every app asking for them, to give permission.

This only happens after a reboot (cold or warm), never after waking up the iMac from sleep mode.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 6:57 AM

Had this as well. Some research in the file system and comparison to a Mac with working location services revealed some old /etc/master.passwd file. While this file is not used by the system usually, it still provides vital data for the early boot phase (when the locationd and geod daemons will start). I had a /etc/master.passwd~orig file as well. The latter file contains the valid entries. Copy it to /etc/master.passwd as root, reboot and you're fine. You probably need to disable the csrutil as well. Mine was off while I was tinkering with the system.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 6:57 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Had this as well. Some research in the file system and comparison to a Mac with working location services revealed some old /etc/master.passwd file. While this file is not used by the system usually, it still provides vital data for the early boot phase (when the locationd and geod daemons will start). I had a /etc/master.passwd~orig file as well. The latter file contains the valid entries. Copy it to /etc/master.passwd as root, reboot and you're fine. You probably need to disable the csrutil as well. Mine was off while I was tinkering with the system.

Dec 3, 2020 4:46 PM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Hello Deep Sky Diver,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Location Services after your Mac restarts.

Test if the same thing happens in safe mode. Shut your Mac down, and then restart in safe mode. Set it up in safe mode, and restart. Test to see if the settings stay after safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you still have issues, it may be beneficial to reinstall macOS. You should make a backup before reinstalling: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Use this article to reinstall: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Dec 6, 2020 1:06 AM in response to Eric--F

Thank you for that suggestion but honestly I don't think that is the best way to solve the problem. Why not? Because it's obviously a bug that is present on other people's installations of Big Sur as well, as someone else here has reported the exact same problem with Launch Services. Support could possibly solve a problem that is due to settings or installation or rights or other software, but what would they possibly recommend to do in this case what you haven't recommended yet? I have file a bug report with Apple and I suggest that everyone else who has the same problem, does so as well:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

It's definitely a bug.

Jan 21, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

I am experiencing the same thing with Google Chrome location services getting disabled on macOS Catalina and Big Sur - lots of 2015 MacBook Pros (Catalina) and several M1 minis (Big Sur).

The devices are rarely rebooted, no I think it must be whenever Chrome is updated. I found another post referencing the same issue with Sierra: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252188240 from December 2020, so it looks like this is recent and not related just to the latest OSes.

The really annoying thing is that it requires admin access to check the box beside Security & Privacy/Location Services -> Google Chrome, so my users who aren't admins need to have Tech Services check the box for them every few days or every other week.

Has something happened with Google Chrome's wrapper that makes it no longer trusted by Security & Privacy?

Cross-posting to 252188240 and also logging with Google.

Mar 6, 2021 3:43 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

The link to Chrome bug has been posted to this thread but it's in a reply so I think new people are missing it. See the post from user i_dislike_macs. The issue has been confirmed, so Google already know about the issue and there is ongoing discussion about it.

The workaround until it's fixed is to make sure Chrome it up-to-date, then enable location services. It should stick until next time a Chrome update is released.

Mar 11, 2021 1:33 PM in response to Photosuser56

My solution this thread here would fit. I migrated to my new Mac from a backup that came from a Lion setup. But that Lion machine was one of the first Mac Pros and the original systems might have been 10.5 or so. I did a full migration with all system preferences. Thus the “something from my old Mac” probably caused that, but the real reason was the not migrated master.passwd file.

Dec 4, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Eric--F

Dear Eric,

i also have the same issue with my MacBook Pro touch bar 2016 model. after upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur. Location service has been disable in every time i restart my Mac and sometime it was disable my keyboard when i tried to type on any browses "Safari, Firefox, Chrome". I did try to reinstall my Mac OS again by using Mac OS Recovery. but the issue still appears.

Please kindly advise me to fix this issue.

Best Regards,

Sereyvuth

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Jan 18, 2021 1:12 AM in response to Old Toad

I used to have MacScan but uninstalled it years ago and deleted all folders and files related to it. I have Onyx installed, since years. But this problem started right after upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur mid-November, and at that time I stopped using Onyx because there wasn't yet a version ready for Big Sur. Now there is.

However, I found a drastic work-around for this problem of Location Services being disabled after every restart: I disabled them completely myself.

Jan 18, 2021 2:18 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Thanks, you're right, there does not seem to be anything in the report that might be causing this. I can't keep track of what was posted in some other track.

(The Google "keystone" things are dodgy, but I doubt they are the ones causing the present problem).

I suggest a test: make a new account, turn Location Services on in that account, restart. Do Location Services stay on for that account? If so, we will have found that the issue is probably affecting just your main account.

Jan 18, 2021 3:10 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Test result: no change.

I actually made two instead of just one new accounts, one being a "Standard" account, the other one being an "Admin". Upon restarting the iMac and logging in into any of these two new accounts, Location Services (in System Preferences > Security & Privacy) were disabled - the tick box was no longer ticked.

Could this problem have something to do with a VPN application that I (rarely) used and uninstalled one or two months ago? I cannot remember if i uninstalled it before or after upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur.

Jan 18, 2021 3:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, several times already. And a couple of SMC resets as well. I also re-installed Big Sur twice, in two different ways (once from Recovery, once from a bootable USB memory stick). I gave up on this problem about one month ago. I find the long boot times I have, even more unacceptable (about 3 minutes from startup chime to being able to start up apps). My guess is that that problem is due to the tiny 28GB SSD blade of the 1TB Fusion Drive inside my iMac 2019 27inch 5K.

Feb 17, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

I, like so many others, have the same problem: Location Services keeps getting turned off for Google Chrome.

You can turn it on, but whenever Chrome updates, it goes off again.

It's very frustrating. There should be a way to permanently turn it on and have it stay on.

The fact you have to turn it on again and again seems ridiculous.

I'm running a late-2016 15" MacBook Pro with MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Location Services disabled after every restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.