Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Loud crackling noise then iPhone 12 shut off

I was scrolling through tiktok at a low volume when my phone randomly made a loud cracking sound and then shut off. It almost sounded like an electrical short. Phone rebooted on its own and seems fine. Very strange for a brand new Apple iPhone 12....

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 4:24 PM

So what I've determined is we've all had exactly the same issue, no one knows what it is, and Apple hasn't replied here but I went ahead and did a support chat and here's what I got:

• Okay, please be assured that your iPhone is secured and the iOS that you have on your iPhone has the best security in the market.
  • Let me explain a device restart can be caused by the App that you are using at that time or any system issue.
  • All the discussion and the feedback are checked by the Apple engineers on a regular basis. Also any issue that is occurring or needs to be checked is also escalated to the team so they are aware of any system issue and work on it to resolve it.

That's as far as I got.

216 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 4:24 PM in response to VictoriaS

So what I've determined is we've all had exactly the same issue, no one knows what it is, and Apple hasn't replied here but I went ahead and did a support chat and here's what I got:

• Okay, please be assured that your iPhone is secured and the iOS that you have on your iPhone has the best security in the market.
  • Let me explain a device restart can be caused by the App that you are using at that time or any system issue.
  • All the discussion and the feedback are checked by the Apple engineers on a regular basis. Also any issue that is occurring or needs to be checked is also escalated to the team so they are aware of any system issue and work on it to resolve it.

That's as far as I got.

Jan 6, 2022 8:21 PM in response to M_Stoff

just happened to me a minute ago. I was on FaceTime with my gf why charging my phone and I was just about to fall asleep when it cracked, purple and green screen glitched, and reboot. I’m guessing the problem has something to do with live-streaming type things. The only thing we can look forward to in this issue is Apple to take care of it.

Jan 19, 2022 7:33 PM in response to EB1975

iPhone 12 Pro, latest update. Was using Instagram and got the crackling/bright flash and then phone blacked out. Couldn’t do anything. Was on charger not completely charged yet. Unplugged it and the phone automatically rebooted itself. At first all my texts were gone and came back 5 minutes later. My phone was a year old December 2021 & like everyone else paid a fortune for it. Apple has not commented or addressed this issue yet. Why?

May 25, 2021 9:47 AM in response to M_Stoff

Happened to me 5 minutes ago on my 1 month old iPhone 12 mini.

The screen froze while web browsing, the frozen screen looked like one of those static you get on an old TV, accompanied by a loud crackling sound.

Never had this issue with my previous iPhone 8. Freaked me out to be honest, I've only been using it for a month!

Aug 20, 2021 6:05 PM in response to corina237

This just happened to me I’ve only had this new max pro 12 for a couple months. I was playing a game this electrical cracking noise then the screen went weird … the phone rebooted it seems fine now but this phone is too expensive to be having these issues especially when it’s brand new and I’m not even on it a lot. After this I’m afraid to even leave it on the charger unattended. Oh and do not know about anyone else but the chargers for this phone suck it already has a short in the cord so had to get a new one.

Jun 17, 2021 9:17 AM in response to M_Stoff

I also faced this issue ! I already claim warranty and the Apple Authorities Service Centre said that they already change a new Rear System for me. I just get the phone yesterday (17/06/2021). But the problem still there, I play a video games then suddenly an electric sound come out then the screen become black again, the phone restart back after few second lol… Who already solve this issue? Can you please contact me?

wechat: lcl971031

whatapps: 0183998666

Loud crackling noise then iPhone 12 shut off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.