Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 can’t speak on phone calls

Hello I was just wondering how to fix my iPhone 12 max not working for phone calls. When I get a call or call other people they can’t hear me. They can only hear me when I go on speaker phone. Last night I turned off noise canceling setting and it started working and today it just doesn’t make a sound. It only works when I’m on speaker phone. I don’t think the microphone is broken because I’m able to use voice memo with no problem. And this phone is brand new. Not even a week old.

iPhone 8 Plus, 14

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 7:55 AM

This is happening to me as well. Sometimes the microphone doesn't work from the beginning of the call and sometimes it stops working in the middle of the call. I can always hear the person on the other end. Speaker phone mode always works.

123 replies

Jan 8, 2021 4:33 PM in response to cenan78

The problem of not being able to hear incoming calls on the IPhone 12 is actually a fault with the phone. Apple are apparently aware of the issue and are working on an update to resolve it. However in the meantime there is a simple solution that works! Go into Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings. Enter your PIN and rest this. You will NOT lose anything on your phone and once done will resolve the issue of not being able to hear incoming calls. It worked for me immediately and i haven’t had a problem since

Jan 11, 2021 1:41 AM in response to kayden274

I had this problem on my new 12 too. I reset to factory settings and now I'm not getting anyone telling me they can't hear me. I also had to keep placing my phone on the pad to charge it as it wouldn't connect. That doesn't happen now either. The volume buttons used to race up and down too but that has stopped. Thought it was phone provider but now all working. Definitely software

Jan 11, 2021 6:13 AM in response to Alison4444

I was having this problem intermittently with my new iPhone 12 and tried everything I could do myself - reset network settings, reset all settings, and the full factory reset. Nothing worked and after the full factory reset, the problem actually became more prevalent. It was only ever a problem with calls, never an issue recording video with audio or voice memos. I finally called Apple support and they were able to run some software diagnostics over the phone but could not detect the issue. They helped me set up an appointment at my local Apple store where they ran additional diagnostics, got a notice of an error, and was therefore able to give me a replacement phone.

Dec 26, 2020 11:06 AM in response to kayden274

This is happening to me as well! Its so frustrating I have Verizon my service is always good. I know it’s not my microphone because it works on face time and when I use voice on my keyboard board ...just disappointed this phone cost way to much to not even be able to do the bare minimum have a phone call!!! Will be seeing how it can be fixed or return it...smh

Dec 30, 2020 3:09 AM in response to kayden274

I've had the exact same issue on my iPhone 12 Pro. On both in coming and out going calls, I can hear the other person clearly and they can't hear me at all. I've had to restart my phone every time for it to work again.

My suspicion is that it's related to Bluetooth, even though no device is actively connected when the issue occurs, it is on days that I've been using my AirPod Pros a lot and have been switching between devices.

Jan 3, 2021 10:33 AM in response to jimibailey

It definitly must be a software bug as it happens on all 3 iphone 12 pro maxs in my household.

weirdly if I initiate the call my wife can’t hear me and neither can I hear her but when we hang up and she initiates the call everything is fixed.

to fix the problematic device the only solition is a reset and everything works for a couple of days.

at times when the problem starts happening the mic and speakers all work on other apps except phonecalls.

Dec 3, 2020 4:21 PM in response to kayden274

Hmm that is odd.

As you say the microphone for calls is the same used for voice memo.

If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

I would recomend to try a clean install of your device after a factory reset:

First make sure you have a backup

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Then factory reset your device:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

And set it up without a backup. See if the issue persists.

If it still does not work it is a ponts to a hardware issue and might need service:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

If that solved it there was a software issue. Try restoring the backup and see if it still works.

if that made the problem come back the backup is the problem

Good luck!

Sep 26, 2021 8:46 AM in response to StegCon

I have the same problem. I got my iPhone 12 in April 2021, and at the same time switched from AT&T to Xfinity. I can always hear the other person but they can’t always hear me. We can be talking and they hear me okay then they tell me I’m breaking up, and then they don’t hear me at all. This has happened with phone calls and FaceTime. Xfinity couldn’t figure out the problem, so got Verizon involved saying it was probably a network problem, but Verizon says everything is okay. Xfinity said go to Apple store which I did. Apple tested and said it’s okay, it’s a network problem. They also said they never heard of this problem. After reading this forum now I know it’s not true, it’s an Apple iPhone 12 defect. I was considering switching to another network before reading the other complaints, but I guess the real solution is switching to a non-Apple phone. I was thinking maybe trade up to iPhone 13 even if it costs a lot to change after 6 months, but now I don’t feel confident Apple has this problem resolved and they are not standing by their product. This was my 3rd iPhone. I will be warning all my friends and family about the risk of the new phones.

Jan 3, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Androish

I’ve followed all recommendations from the link you provided and the conclusion is that the microphone is working fine. I’ve also tested front and rear facing cameras and the audio is fine on those as well.

As everyone on this thread has stated, the microphone only stops working on certain phone calls, at which point a reboot consistently resolves the issue.

Doesn’t that suggest a software issue?

Jan 3, 2021 6:03 AM in response to jimibailey

Hard to say for sure. As your issue is intermittent, it can just be that it never happened when you did your tests.

Another thing to note is that it can even be on the carrier side if it only happens on phone calls.

To rule out a software issue on your end you can try a clean install. backup, factory reset via a computer, and set up as new.

iPhone 12 can’t speak on phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.