You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silent switch randomly turns on - iPhone 12 Pro Max

My new iPhone 12 Pro Max toggles the silent mode switch randomly to the on position. I don’t know why it’s doing that. I’ve turned off the “do not disturb” and “schedule” functions but the silent mode still toggles randomly to the on position. Could it be a software issue?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 11:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 6:53 AM

Seems like i have similar but different issue with my iphone 12.

switch is set on, at least once a day phone vibrates and goes to silent!

switch is still in the on position.

never had this issue from any other IPhone before!

163 replies

Apr 15, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Twistedsnaffle

iOS 14: How to enable and use back tap feature

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings.
  2. Scroll down a bit and go to Accessibility.
  3. On the next screen, under Physical and Motor, tap Touch.
  4. Scroll to the end and go to Back Tap.
  5. You'll now see two options — Double Tap and Triple Tap. You can select if you want to use the back Tap feature or use the double tap or triple tap to activate different functions.

Hope this helps!

Apr 15, 2021 7:30 AM in response to aixgeek

I too have exactly the same issue. I put the toggle in the on position (to hear calls) and put it on it's Belkin magnet charger and in the morning the switch is on the vibrate position and I have my family thinking something is wrong cause I an elder who lives alone and they worry....

I am frustrated that I can't seem to get it to stop. I've tried turning off DND but you can't uncheck the "silence only when phone is locked". When you push the right side top button in does your Iphone click and go dark? I know that's to lock it, but does it silence it too? If not that, then I too have a haunted phone... and need an exorcism from Apple or a new phone....

Jan 22, 2021 11:05 AM in response to westofjosh

That must be it. It seems to happen when I am putting the phone in my pocket or taking it out - not sure which. In over five years my iPhone 6 never once had the mute switch turned on, but I had an Otterbox case that was much larger than the silicone case on my new phone. I think I am going to put a piece of tape over the switch so it cannot be toggled.

Apr 15, 2021 1:05 PM in response to PoiDog808

My switch was being toggled by the Apple silicone case. If you have an Apple case, you can easily duplicate this by gently pushing the top left corner of the case (the one nearest the silent mode switch) toward the back of the phone. Without much effort, it will trip the switch. So, in my case, when my phone was in my pocket, it would often flip the silent mode switch. Since I returned the Apple case and replaced it with an Otterbox Symmetry MagSafe case, it no longer accidentally flips the switch. However, the my MagSafe wallet does not stay on as well as it did on the Apple case. I do not know if it's due to the strength of the magnets or the fact that the silicone case was "grippier" or something else. I saw where another poster replaced his Apple case with a Nomad case and the problem went away. Good Luck!

Dec 30, 2020 9:11 PM in response to aixgeek

I am so sorry to hear that you and your wife have experience the same issue as me. I

had begun to think that I was the only one with a “haunted” iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I was able to solve the silent button from randomly switching on issue. I performing a hard reset on my iPhone (i.e. quickly pressing the up volume button, followed by quickly pressing the down volume button, then immediately pressing and holding on button until the Apple logo shows up). It’s been 25 days now and my iPhone has behaved itself! Hope this helps your issue!

Dec 4, 2020 11:58 PM in response to PoiDog808

Which Silent Switch are you referring to? The Silent Switch is a mechanical switch located to the TOP LEFT SIDE of your iPhone. Can you clarify which switch is turning ON by itself?

You stated that DO NOT DISTURB is set to OFF and SCHEDULE is also set to OFF. That is good.

How about SILENCE UNKNOW CALLERS ? Is that set to OFF? Open Settings ➔ Phone ➔ Silence Unknown Callers : Ensure that this feature is set to OFF.

Axel F.

Dec 30, 2020 6:23 PM in response to PoiDog808

I have the same issue. I just got an iPhone 12 a week ago and at least once a day the mute switch toggles from off to on. I keep missing calls because the ringer has been turned off. My phone is in a case and I cannot rub my finger on the side of the case and get the switch to move; I have to get my fingernail in the slot in the case to toggle the switch. My wife also got a new iPhone 12 and she is having the same problem. I think our phones must be haunted.

Apr 15, 2021 11:39 AM in response to Twistedsnaffle

iOS 14: How to enable and use back tap feature

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings.
  2. Scroll down a bit and go to Accessibility.
  3. On the next screen, under Physical and Motor, tap Touch.
  4. Scroll to the end and go to Back Tap.
  5. You'll now see two options — Double Tap and Triple Tap. You can select if you want to use the back Tap feature or use the double tap or triple tap to activate different functions.

Hope this helps!

Mar 5, 2021 9:53 AM in response to PoiDog808

I have had a similar problem with my 12 pro. The issue seems to be the apple leather case. It will partially slip off of the edge of the phone corner near the switch and push it to the vibrate setting. Then the case slips back on the phone as I continue to move around. I was able to easily recreate this by pushing gently on the case and causing it to slip. This appears to be a problem with the silicon cases too. Might want to look at nomad just got mine today an no slip at all.

Dec 5, 2020 4:01 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

Thanks for your assistance! That’s correct, it is the mechanical switch that is located on the top left side of the phone. I normally keep the switch in the silent mode and rely on my iWatch to alert me for incoming calls, so I have not inadvertently switched it to the on position. I have actually heard the mechanical switch randomly click on.

The silence unknown is already set to OFF. I performed a hard reset of the phone. So far the mechanical switch has not switched in the on position yet. Will continue to monitor and respond with my results.

Jan 24, 2021 12:46 PM in response to avinash111

I was able to solve the silent button from randomly switching on by itself (I am using an Apple leather case). I performed a hard reset on my iPhone (i.e. quickly pressing the up volume button, followed by quickly pressing the down volume button, then immediately pressing and holding on button until the Apple logo shows up). It’s been 7 weeks now and the silent switch on the left side of my iPhone has not randomly toggled on my itself! Hope this helps!

Silent switch randomly turns on - iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.