Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Squeaking noise drawing with iPad Pro 2020 & Pencil 2.

Man, I was so excited upgrading from a 2017 iPad Pro and 1st gen Pencil to the latest versions as a gift to myself (Seems I can always find a reason to buy a new Apple product).

Unfortunately I just returned the new iPad Pro and Pencil because of the loud squeak they make when I’m drawing.

It sounds like you’re scratching glass with a dull object, or the squeak of a marker on a white board but worse.

I’m surprised because I’ve never experienced this with my older iPad and Pencil. Even my old Pencil squeaks on the new iPad but the new Pencil doesn’t make a sound on my old iPad. I imagine Apple didn’t design the iPad to make these sounds while drawing lol.

I’m curious to know if anyone else with a 2020 iPad Pro has experienced this or if it was just the iPad I received by chance.

Happy Holidays All!

Z

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 5:21 PM

Wow. I am not alone! I’ve been going in circles with Apple for weeks because of this very same problem and they tell me they’ve never heard about it before. But I started googling it and here you are and I found others from last August, and a bunch more on Reddit, and more on MacRumors. Several people have even made videos demonstrating the squeak screech sound. They never heard of it?

They replaced my entire pencil. They replaced the entire iPad. They refused to replace the tips so I bought new ones myself. And still it squeaks. Terrified of scratching it because there is a big deductible if you need to replace a scratch screen.

The Apple engineers are making me jump through hoops. Now they’re demanding I make a video too. Even though they’ve seen the one someone else made and posted for Apple. They have told me too take photos from every side of the new iPad they just sent me! They told me to take photos of the “lightning connector and pins“ for a Gen 2 pencil that has no lightning anything!

From what I have read today it seems that there is a problem with the coating on the screen of their fancy new glass. Oh, and today Apple told me that I should buy a glass screen protector. And oh, they can’t send me one because they don’t sell them. I am just furious.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 5:21 PM in response to Zachareasyy

Wow. I am not alone! I’ve been going in circles with Apple for weeks because of this very same problem and they tell me they’ve never heard about it before. But I started googling it and here you are and I found others from last August, and a bunch more on Reddit, and more on MacRumors. Several people have even made videos demonstrating the squeak screech sound. They never heard of it?

They replaced my entire pencil. They replaced the entire iPad. They refused to replace the tips so I bought new ones myself. And still it squeaks. Terrified of scratching it because there is a big deductible if you need to replace a scratch screen.

The Apple engineers are making me jump through hoops. Now they’re demanding I make a video too. Even though they’ve seen the one someone else made and posted for Apple. They have told me too take photos from every side of the new iPad they just sent me! They told me to take photos of the “lightning connector and pins“ for a Gen 2 pencil that has no lightning anything!

From what I have read today it seems that there is a problem with the coating on the screen of their fancy new glass. Oh, and today Apple told me that I should buy a glass screen protector. And oh, they can’t send me one because they don’t sell them. I am just furious.

Jan 16, 2021 5:49 PM in response to Lizzieat

Hey Lizzie,

I’m sorry to hear you’re running into the same issue I did. Luckily I was within their return policy time frame and just brought mine back.

The person who helped me in the Apple store said I should just draw a different way, angle the pencil more to avoid the squeak. Obviously a ridiculous workaround much like the screen protector suggestion they offered to you. I had him try my new Pencil on one of their iPad Pro store display models and it didn’t squeak at all. It was just on this iPad.

Maybe I’m reading too far into it here but perhaps iPad production was rushed after the factories were able to reopen and this is the result.

Either way, best of luck to you, I hope they offer you a solid solution. Maybe Apple will offer a screen replacement program for this issue in the future when they realize it’s a legitimate problem on their end.

Be well,

Z

Feb 13, 2021 2:21 PM in response to Zachareasyy

I'm on the same boat; I upgraded my 9.7 iPad&1st gen apple pencil with an iPad Air 2020 & Pencil 2, and discovered the horrible squeaking!

I installed the same grainy/matt screen protector on both devices (paperlike) and I even switched the nib between the two pencils (wondering whether the worn out nib is more quiet) but no difference! For some reason the 1st gen pencil doesn't squeak on any display, and the 2nd gen pencil squeaks only on the new (laminated) display. I'm having two theories: I need to get some more skin-oils on the new display/screen protector or it might be that the pencil sliding across the display vibrates due to the friction, and, what-are-the-odds, it resonates with the laminated display (whereas the 1st gen apple pencil doesn't resonate because of some minor manufacturing differences). Needless to say I hope it's the skin-oils.

Feb 13, 2021 2:28 PM in response to Zachareasyy

I might suggest that the anti-reflection surface treatment on the iPad screen is a potential source of your difficulty.

If changing the tip of the Pencil doesn’t resolve the problem, you might perhaps consider using a good quality tempered glass screen protector. in addition to providing a smooth surface over which the Pencil tip will glide, the additional glass layer will protect both the original anti-reflection treatment - and the sacrificial oleophobic coating that will otherwise wear-out over time.

Feb 13, 2021 2:52 PM in response to LotusPilot

thanks LotusPilot, I appreciate a lot the input!

It's hard to imagine it being the anti-reflection treatment since I've covered it with the screen protector and it still squeaks. Something tells me that a tempered glass would work merely because it's gliding even more than the unadorned panel; but as an illustrator I need a surface with tooth hence using this particular screen protector. And of course none of this possibly explains as to why the 1st gen apple pencil (with any of the two nips) on this ipad doesn't squeak at all!

Feb 22, 2021 9:48 AM in response to Lizzieat

Update, Feb. 22, 2021: Thanks to all for the tips (no pun intended ;^). I am completely convinced it's the new coating. It NEVER happened on my iPad Gen 2. We've replaced everything else, and still it persists.

I'm on iPad Pro #3 now, and it's somewhat better. Still screeches, but not nearly as badly as the last one (which was WORSE than #1). I went ahead last week and (laboriously) put a highly rated Zagg glass screen protector on the iPad. To my dismay, though no screeching, the pencil slips like a skate on brand new ice... I'm an illustrator with a rock-steady hand, and I'm unable to draw a line of any kind w/o the pencil wobbling or sliding. (Matte screen protectors dull the view of the screen, not good for this fine-line illustrator.)

So I'm sending the glass screen protector back for refund and... I give up. Will just use the regular screen and try not to tip the pencil into an angle that screeches, when I find one. That means NO SWIPING emails away, which I have already found is one of the most offending motions.

To the many who've mentioned rubbing your hand oils on the screen: it WORKS. Ridiculous to have to smear one's hand on the screen to smooth a coating that's supposed to REPEL FINGERPRINTS, but there you have it. Way to go, Apple! (Sarcasm intended.)

Of note: Apple called back last week. I'd sent them 5 (FIVE) videos demonstrating the squeal, as well as the several links to similar videos from others. STILL, they wanted me to take a 45 mile drive to the nearest Apple Store, in the middle of Alabama's Covid Catastrophe, to demonstrate to the techs at the store. RIGHT. If the engineers themselves couldn't figure it out with all the ipads they have available, would the young whippersnappers at this store do any better? Seriously.

Mar 4, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Zachareasyy

Hey Zach,

you're not alone in this! I received the 2018 iPad Pro 11" with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil two christmas' ago as a gift since I was starting school. The whole time I've used my iPad and pencil, I have used a fine paperlike protector (though, not the paperlike brand). I recently removed the screen protector because the grain affect was getting really frustrating for all of my non-writing/drawing tasks. I noticed that whenever I angle my pencil tip or use it to shade (really fast, back and forth motions), that's when I notice the squeaking. For the time being I'm going to just do my work on paper until I can order another protector because I do NOT want to scratch my screen!

Apr 15, 2021 8:21 AM in response to ipartcars

I’ve been in this thread after Zack for a while. The more I talk about it the more I hear people with the same squeaking problem. I am absolutely convinced it is the “oleographic” screen coating that is the problem, whether Apple admits it or not But I have found another problem as I draw. It seems like something builds up on the screen, a little bit of fine lumpish resistance after a minute or so. I have to wipe off the tip and rub the surface with a finger to make it smooth again. (Changing the tip makes no difference.) I’m going to start a new thread about that and see how many more people come out of the woodwork.

When an iPad 5 comes out, probably later this year, I will trade up my brand new iPad 4, take the money loss, and try again. I’m hoping that Apple has gotten enough complaints (that they refused to admit to) that they will change the coating. Hopefully. You can bet that I will hold on to the iPad 4 until I have tested out the screen on a new 5.

To everyone who likes the matt screen protectors… I’m glad they work for you, but I can’t use one because they blur the surface visually just enough that as an illustrator drawing with very fine lines, having the lines blurred defeats the purpose.

Apr 19, 2021 5:20 PM in response to Lizzieat

This has been a relevant discussion about an ongoing issue with the Apple Gen 4 iPad Pro screen, and as such is informative, including various people’s suggestions on how to work with the issue. Unfortunately, it has been a frustrating issue for a lot of people, including me, though it seems the monitors did not like my expression of that. I was very negative, to be sure. I would LOVE to see answers from Apple that will help solve the issue.

In the meantime my expression of hope that a Gen 5 iPad Pro will not carry on with the same screen issue (which many users believe has something to do with the oleographic coating) is both relevant and positive. My expression of potential dismay if the problem persists included the fact that I would be buying another iPad, taking a chance that it too may have problems if Apple hasn’t resolved the issue by then. I sure hope they have!

Squeaking noise drawing with iPad Pro 2020 & Pencil 2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.