Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't cast via Airplay from M1 MacBook Pro

I recently purchased an M1 MacBook Pro. I also have a 2020 Sony OLED TV with built in Airplay. I have never had a problem casting to the TV via my 2015 MacBook Air. I was successful connecting the M1 Pro, but the screen remains black. It also doesn't show that it's optimized for the Sony TV as it does for the Air. As a side note, I have an Amazon Firestick with a 3rd party version of Airplay on it and it works fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 5:14 PM

I also recently purchased the M1 MacBook Pro. I have a 2020 Sony with built in Airplay. I also have two other MacBook Pros, a 2014 and 2015, both Intel processors. Those two MacBooks mirror onto the tv, but the M1 MacBook Pro does not. Please figure this out so I can use my newer MacBook to airplay.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 5:14 PM in response to RiCycleKing

I also recently purchased the M1 MacBook Pro. I have a 2020 Sony with built in Airplay. I also have two other MacBook Pros, a 2014 and 2015, both Intel processors. Those two MacBooks mirror onto the tv, but the M1 MacBook Pro does not. Please figure this out so I can use my newer MacBook to airplay.

Dec 24, 2020 3:55 PM in response to RiCycleKing

Hi RiCycleKing,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! We see you're having an issue with AirPlay and your new MacBook Pro to your TV, and we'd like to do what we can to help.

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device has some steps to follow. Including checking with Sony for any firmware update needed. Contact a third-party vendor

More info on AirPlay, if you need it: Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen

Take care!

Jan 18, 2021 2:19 PM in response to RiCycleKing

Same problem here, M1 MacBook Pro (Big Sur) with a Sony Bravia AG9 TV (2019), unable to mirror screen or Airplay from the M1 to the TV. As mentioned by others, the sound works but the screen stays black.

For the same TV,

• Able to chrome cast videos via VLC Player from the M1
  • Airplay through YouTube via Safari works from the M1
  • Airplay/screen mirroring through iPhone XR works
  • Airplay from my wife's MacBook Air 2014 (Big Sur) works

i.e. the problem seems with the M1 compatibility with the TV. Apple needs to fix this for the M1 machines since Sony could point out that AirPlay on their TV is working from Intel Macs and iPhones.

Any help/suggestions/solutions very welcome!

Jan 11, 2021 11:47 AM in response to RiCycleKing

TLDR: I have the same problem using AirPlay on an M1 MacBook Pro. I followed all of the trouble shooting advice given for the MacBook Pro M1 here and elsewhere with the same sound playing with a black screen result.

Details: M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.1 and a 2019 Sony Bravia 4k ur2 running AirPlay version 25.05. Every device is running the most current versions of their respective softwares. When I connect with the MacBook Pro M1 to the Sony Bravia 4k ur2 sound plays but the screen is black. However, if I connect from an iPhone XR, iPhone 11 or 2020 iPad Pro everything works correctly.

Jan 11, 2021 8:00 PM in response to mourip

Agreed it is an M1 problem. I posted so that Apple know there is a bigger problem and hopefully they will fix it. One of the reasons for for buying the Mac is to use AirPlay in meetings to share spread sheets and plans. I did read on reddit somewhere that Apple was no longer supporting AirPlay to TV's. That seemed so crazy that I just wrote it off as reddit rantings. (I hope it's just reddit rants.)

Jan 11, 2021 8:35 PM in response to mail22

I am experiencing the same issue from the MBA M1 to a Sony XBR OLED TV. I can airplay fine from my older MBA Intel or from my iMac but not from the MBA M1. Only sound comes across and the screen stays black. I have tried airplay from the MBA M1 to a Gen2 Apple TV (connected to a Samsung TV) and it works fine. I then renamed the 'Sony XBR-65A8H' to 'Living Room TV' as I thought perhaps the special character was interfering based on other posts but still no luck. It appears that the M1 and the Sony TV have some incompatibility. Hopefully Apple fixes this soon.

Jan 19, 2021 1:00 PM in response to RiCycleKing

Running into the same issue here as well. Tested with both a MacBook Pro M1 chip as well as a MacBook Air w/ M1 chip. Both devices show the Airplay device, click to connect, enter the code, aspect ratio changes on the Mac, and you see a black screen on the TV. It shows it is connected via AirPlay, but nothing is ever shown on the TV. The TV is a Sony - 85" Class X800H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV. Model number XBR85X800H.

Feb 3, 2021 7:22 AM in response to RiCycleKing

same issue. Sony TV x8000h and MacBook Pro M1.

previously TV worked fine with MacBook Air intel i5 but now black screen with MacBook Pro M1. Only sound works fine.

Contacted Apple but they have no solution. I thought they would resolve in 11.2 update but did not work.

I will contact Sony to enquire if something is wrong while connecting TV with M1 Macs. lets see if they have something to say in this matter.

Please try with some other make TV to make sure if problem is with Mac or TV

Can't cast via Airplay from M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.