Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cardio Fitness not working on my Apple Watch Series 6 (or on my previous Series 5)

I have owned an Apple Watch (first series 5 and now series 6) since November of 2019. I frequently run or walk outdoors for much more than 20 minutes at a time and I always use the Apple Watch Workout app, selecting either Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run, accordingly. In 14 months of this outdoor activity (hundreds of runs and walks by now), I have only had Cardio Fitness data recorded ONCE (December 5th, 2019, and called VO2Max then). Before and since that random single entry, NO DATA has been recorded for VO2Max or Cardio Fitness. I compared the other workout parameters (exercise time, heart rate information, active calories) for that single workout that recorded a VO2Max entry with the data from my hundreds of other workouts but I don’t see any significant differences, other than the fact that VO2Max data was NOT RECORDED. When I traded my series 5 watch for a series 6 this past November 2020 I had hoped that this feature would start working, but nothing has changed (NO DATA for Cardio Fitness, aka VO2Max). I don’t normally take my phone with me with I exercise outdoors, but even when I do, NO DATA is recorded for this parameter. I have reset my Fitness Calibration Data several times in an effort to get this feature to work, but still NO DATA is ever recorded. What really has me confused is that it did work ONCE, but has not worked before or since that one day and I didn’t do anything different on that one day. Any ideas? Is this a know bug?

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 6:24 PM

Similar questions

150 replies

Mar 5, 2021 4:04 AM in response to Osugrad85

Firstly - thanks to the OP for the info and leg work with support.

I have this issue - and also able to replicate one of the 'workarounds'

History: Switched over from a Series 4 (working fine) to a Series 6 couple of weeks back. No cardio health/Vo2 at all with new watch.

What I tried but did not work (did a run after all these):

1. Restart watch/phone
  2. Reset Fitness Calibration
  3. Manual entry into Cardio Health/Vo2
  4. Unpair/Pair watch
  5. Confirmed all applicable settings correct
  6. Toggles Airplane/BT on/off before a run (note not during a run)

Nothing worked.

What did work:

• Turn on Airplane Mode
  • Disable BT for Watch (on phone)
  • Went for run - 30mins
  • After run turned off Airplane Mode
  • Turn BT back on
  • And result logged!!

One thing I noticed during this run - and not sure I had seen it before. At some point during run the heart rate metric display changed font colour from White to Bold-Red. Apparently this doesnt mean anything except the crown maybe moved to focus on it? Color of heart rate in workout mode - Apple Community

Not sure I have ever seen that before.

Anyway the missing data is definitely a bug and hopefully Apple working on fix. Its a pain but I can get by for now turning AP mode and BT mode etc

What was a happy surprise was all this testing and running - my score had improved!

Dec 30, 2020 6:26 PM in response to Osugrad85

Update (but no solution, only more failures): Saw elsewhere on this website that someone suggested using the Outdoor Walk for running to get the watch to record Cardio Fitness. I saw in another place on this website where someone suggested having the Apple Maps app open and running while exercising. I tried both today. Actually went for two “outdoor walks”, running non-stop during both of them (around 9 minute/mile pace), each more than 20 minutes, each with the Maps app open in the background. Good HR data recorded, along with active calories, and good map data. But NO DATA for Cardio Fitness. And, when I check the Health App under Cardio Fitness, “data sources and access”, my watch is NOT listed. So, I guess the big question is HOW DO I GET MY APPLE WATCH TO ACT AS A DATA SOURCE FOR CARDIO FITNESS?

Jan 19, 2021 6:56 PM in response to ohill4

Hi All. Apple called me today with an update, but it wasn’t actually an update. They told me that the engineers are still looking into this problem using the diagnostic information they obtained from me and they hope to have an answer soon. They also told me that there have been other users who have reported this same problem, so it isn’t just me. They assured me that everything I was doing to get this feature to work was correct (settings are correct, workouts meet the feature’s requirements, etc.) and acknowledged that the problem was on their end. The promised to call me back once they have an answer, but I plan to check in with them regularly if they haven’t already contacted me. I will post here once I actually get an answer to this problem.

Mar 19, 2021 3:44 PM in response to FelixHikes

My pleasure honeybunny ;)

(Still not buying it. Set up Cardio Fitness Levels – Apple Support See bikes anywhere? You most likely had this A new Apple Watch alert tells you how fit (or unfit) you are. Here's how to get it - CNET to quote "You won't even have to break a sweat to get your cardio fitness score. VO2 max on the Apple Watch can be calculated as you're moving normally about your day and not necessarily during a strenuous exercise, as long as it gets your heart pumping. It's also backwards compatible, meaning you'll be able to see your score immediately after updating the watch if you've already had VO2 max information on the app". )

Btw your Vo2 is wickedly low. I am worried about you!

Feb 18, 2021 9:22 AM in response to ukskeptic

finally i got my apple watch 6 to provide cardio fitness. not sure how, but i followed some random steps I've seen here and there among the swearing:

• went out
  • reset calibration
  • activated maps in the background
  • did an 'outdoor walk' for 30 minutes. a 'brisk' one, to be precise.

went home and still nothing. I also noticed that my activities themselves hadnt synced for 2 days.

I tried to then fix the synch issue. Opened the Apple watch app on the iphone and clicked: General>Reset>Reset Sync Data

Magically Activities were synced, also VO2 appeared and in the Cardio fitness data source I could finally see the Apple watch.

Now, It's impossible to say that what I did solved the problem, and I'm still shocked that these basic features seem so obscure and when they dont work it is even impossible to understand why (and the Apple watch itself doesnt report a synch error... i mean, activity synch doesnt work for 2 days and apple watch deems this to be OK??? ).

cannot imagine what the apple watch 1 was, if this is the quality reached at the 6th attempt.

good luck!

dp, an owner of apple watch 6 that wont ever buy the 7

Mar 10, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Markylux

1. You are spamming because you posted 5 messages just this evening in a short period. None with helpful info
  2. You only have to run on a flat surface for the 1st calibration run....you know....to calibrate it. After that run as many hills you want. I think you misunderstood them and think you can't run on hills for any runs....
  3. Apple do not gauge the severity of an issue by how many posts you post. They do it via Customer requests into support.
  4. Apple have already stated this is a known bug and are working for a fix. This is standard expectations for any tech/company device. If you are expectations are otherwise - they are warped.

Again please stop spamming - thanks!

Mar 16, 2021 3:16 AM in response to Cazz349

Ok I have managed to replicate and further refine the work-around.

Also I have contacted Apple support (UK) and they have confirmed this is a known issue and is on the current backlog to be fixed. Before people moan - this is standard practice and common with software design from any tech company. Bugs happen to everyone - no single company is immune. (Source: I have worked for tech for 20+ years)

Recap - I had previously moved from an iPhone 11 + Series 4 to an iPhone 11 + series 6. Which is when Vo2/Cardio broke for me.

The work-around I had thought was confirmed - after trying the numerous suggestions in this thread was to turn Airplane mode on during the run - and once turned off post run Vo2 populated.

This time I have now moved to an iphone 12 - still with Series 6 watch and the issue came back.

Though oddly at first the workaround didn't work. I tried Airplane mode straight away before anything else - but it didn't log.

I went back and tried the other steps

1. Validated all location settings - didn't work
  2. Repaired - didn't work
  3. Reset fitness calibration - then run with airplane mode - didn't work
  4. Added manual entry into Vo2 - then run with airplane - worked!

So it appears - at least for me - confirmed on all new hardware - that a combination of first adding a manual entry into Vo2/Cardio and then running in Airplane mode seems to work.

Hope this helps others until we get the fix with a feature update release.

Mar 28, 2021 6:14 PM in response to Osugrad85

I have had this issue, and the two things that i believe are important to resolve this issue are

1) Make sure that power saving mode is OFF

2) There is a calibration step that needs to be done, which activates the watch as a data source for the V02 measure.

• You need to do two walks of at least 20 minutes and this needs to be done
      • in the Outdoor walk mode
      • on a reasonably flat surface
      • briskly (faster than 11m KMs)
      • and you need to ensure that the hear rate sensor is working all the time during the walk.
    • I found that when i initially started to walk, the hear rate was greyed out and didn't come on for several minutes. I tighten the watch strap and continued walking until the heart rate showed, and timed my twenty minutes from that point, making sure that i didnt lose the heart rate.

And yes, touch wood, i resolved it after many attempts

Cheers

Bill

Apr 21, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Osugrad85

Had the same issue as many without Cardio Fitness measurements from my Apple Watch.

What got a steady stream of Cardio Fitness data started for me was to start workouts from the workout App on my Apple watch. Used the “Outside Walk” activity. “Outside Run” should work as well. I always go for 40 minutes or more.

And here are two important bits:

1. Start and end the activity when you are actually outside, so not in your home or in an elevator or parking garage.
  2. Close the wristband one hole tighter than normal as Cardio Fitness needs uninterrupted heart rate measurements.

Apr 29, 2021 5:49 PM in response to Bill636

Bill636, I’ve been through the list with Apple Support a couple of times and I already had everything set properly, but (without going through this entire thread again) here’s what I remember:

1. Must be outdoor activity (I have used both Outdoor Walk and Outdoor Run using Apple Watch Workouts);
  2. Phone Settings: Privacy, Motion & Fitness, Fitness Tracking “on” and Health “on”;
  3. Phone Settings: Privacy, Location Services “on” and Apple Watch Workout “while using the app” and Precise Location “on”;
  4. Phone Settings:: Privacy, System Services, Motion Calibration & Distance “on”;
  5. Watch Settings: Privacy, Heart Rate “on” and Fitness Tracking “on”;
  6. Watch Settings: Workout, Power Saving Mode “off”;

That’s all the relevant settings I can think of right now.

Plus, I have recalibrated fitness data numerous times over the past year and a half, always followed by at least two 20 minute + outdoor walks or runs that were done on flat terrain, non-stop, at a steady pace.

And, I have had three Apple Watches (one Series 5 and two Series 6) that were Reset (Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings) several times, and I have reset my iPhone 11 (erase all content and settings) several times too.

Still no Cardio Fitness data ever.

And, I worked with Apple Support on three occasions where they first went over the settings with me, then had me install diagnostic profiles on both the watch and phone, then had me log numerous 20 minute + outdoor walks and runs, then they retrieved the diagnostic information from my devices. I also sent them screen shots from the Apple Activity App that showed good HR and GPS data throughout the workouts and they confirmed that the data looked good. I haven’t heard anything more from them and don’t expect to. When I last spoke with them (2 months ago), they said this is a know issue that some users are experiencing and they were working on a solution.

But any suggestions you have that I haven’t mentioned here are more than welcome.

Apr 30, 2021 3:25 PM in response to Bill636

Bill636, thanks for your thoughts. Yep, the activity app is showing the individual workout data on both my watch and my phone (that’s how I review my workouts after the fact). I agree, the only thing that’s missing is the VO2 data, which is the root of the problem. As for the quality of the HR data in each workout, I have literally logged hundreds of outdoor runs over the past year and a half using three different Apple watches. Yes, sometimes there is HR data drop outs, but not very often. For the majority of my workouts I get solid HR data throughout the workouts as evidenced by a post workout review of the data via the Workout app. And, Apple Support confirmed that my data looked good enough to have generated VO2 data, they just could not figure out why it wasn’t being generated. But, like I said, they told me that many users are experiencing the same problem and they claim to be working on a solution. I really hoped that last weeks IOS updates would have fixed it, but that wasn’t the case.

And for anyone else still reading this, in addition to the settings I mentioned above, I have also tried the following:

1. Having my phone with me;
  2. Leaving my phone at home;
  3. Having Apple Maps open on my watch;
  4. Having Apple Maps open on my phone;
  5. And, every other suggestion posted in this thread.

Nothing has worked to generate VO2 max for me. So, I will remain disappointed that Apple has not followed up with me after my three separate interactions with therm, and I remain disappointed that a feature that Apple advertises just plain doesn’t work for me.

I hope at some point in the future Apple will find a fix and Cardio Fitness data will finally appear for me, but for now I will assume that this feature just doesn’t work and accept that fact.

Feb 18, 2021 10:04 PM in response to Whetts

Whetts post on the settings update did the trick for me! The main setting I had off that I turned back on was Motion Calibration and Fitness!

After following this, I restarted my watch and phone, I completed yesterday 18/Feb an outdoor walk using Apple Watches “Outdoor walk” workout. This morning 19/Feb I did a run using RunKeeper app on the watch as a “Running” activity...

Didn’t think much of it but just checked and found out VO2MAX had recorded!

For those that are still struggling to get this up and running, I can’t guarantee this will work, but main things to keep in mind once you’ve got the settings setup are:

1) your workouts need to be more than 20mins at a steady pace with no pause

2) pace during your workout (according to the apple support person) must be faster than 11min/km

3) there needs to be more than one workout after settings are updated for the results to show.

Anyway I hope this helps those that are still struggling. I was really annoyed that Apple Support themselves were unable to resolve this, and it took me reviewing the support cases to FINALLY find an answer that worked!

thankyou Whetts!

Mar 19, 2021 11:03 AM in response to captbigglesworth

Oh! I just learned something new.. for those of y’all that like me didn’t know.. apparently, cardio fitness also takes in consideration any meds you might be on to gauge cardio fitness.. if this tool worked it’d be super cool to see what good looks like for folks like me on blood pressure meds.. I have some good Q’s for my doc on my next follow up..

yall be safe out there! And stay healthy

Jan 3, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Osugrad85

One more update (but no solution): Looking further at the Health App, instead of showing either of my two Apple watches as a data source for Cardio Fitness, it instead lists Withings Health Mate app as a data source. Further looking at the Withings Health Mate app, I discovered that IT was the source for that lone Cardio Fitness data entry that was recorded on December 5, 2019. This confirms that neither of my Apple watches have ever been a data source for Cardio Fitness. So, the question remains: HOW DO I GET MY APPLE WATCH TO ACT AS A DATA SOURCE FOR CARDIO FITNESS? Having logged lots and lots of outdoor runs at varying intensities and lots of outdoor walks at brisk pace, my watch is NOT being triggered to record Cardio Fitness at all. So, when Apple says “watchOS 7 also allows Apple Watch to take cardio fitness measurements as users walk throughout the day, whether or not they are tracking a workout”, clearly this is NOT the case for me.

Jan 4, 2021 10:07 AM in response to Osugrad85

Hello, i had a same issue, no data source etc. so i did the following, 1. Made My current watch as priority source 2. Recalibrated my watch 3. ( standard setting on watch) i had by default power saving mode on, which resulted into no continuous heartbeat tracking but sporadic( which is used to calculate VO2max) i switched it off in Watch app dock> Settings> workout> power saving mode 4. Then 2 outdoor walking workouts of approx 40 min each and today after 2nd workout vo2 max appeared and data source got updated.

hope it will help!

Cardio Fitness not working on my Apple Watch Series 6 (or on my previous Series 5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.