Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After downgrading back to Yosemite from Catalina, my Logic Pro 9 won't open..What should I do?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/help about installing Logic Pro 9 software?

For various reasons, I had to upgrade my iMac from Yosemite to Catalina.

When I was on Catalina, I discovered that most of my Apps (including Apple products and third party apps) were no longer compatible. I then checked all my apps individually and made the decision to downgrade back to Yosemite.

Once back on Yosemite, I had to re-instal all my Apps. I went on the Apple App Store, found my Logic Pro 9 "Install" button and started the installation. So far so good.

Once installed, I click on the Logic Pro icon, and I got a window with a loading bar mentioning "downloading essential collection..." (please see screenshot). Then another window popped up with a message saying "Logic was not able to complete the download".

I am a professional musician/songwriter and I use Logic all the time..any advice would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Lauren

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:09 AM

THIS SOLVED MY QUESTION:

Hi Lukas!

I hope you are well. Sorry for getting back to you quite late. I've been in contact with Apple Support and they forwarded me this link where you can download all of the Essential files for Logic Pro 9. This has solved the problem! :)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2021?locale=en_GB

Best,

Lauren

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Lukas

THIS SOLVED MY QUESTION:

Hi Lukas!

I hope you are well. Sorry for getting back to you quite late. I've been in contact with Apple Support and they forwarded me this link where you can download all of the Essential files for Logic Pro 9. This has solved the problem! :)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2021?locale=en_GB

Best,

Lauren

Jan 7, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Lukas

Thanks Lukas for your quick reply! I really appreciate it!

This was very helpful! I followed your advice and I managed to download the .pkg content file. It started installing, but then I got a few pop-up windows (please see screenshots). I followed through.. but unfortunately, I still got the "Logic was not able to complete the download" window BUT NOW I can actually open Logic and start a new session which is already a good start !

The first thing I have noticed is that all of the 'loops' and some of the instruments are missing.. Do you have any idea on how to find & download them by any chance?

L. Moon

Jan 6, 2021 6:42 AM in response to L. Moon

Hm, I've seen something similar just recently, although I forgot in which exact context – probably involving a GarageBand 6 (being a stripped Logic 9 counterpart) reinstall. That had to do with the built-in old GarageBand installer not having sufficient permissions to install the downloaded package on more recent MacOS. Keep in mind that Logic 9 may run instable on Yosemite. Having used Logic 9 for over a year on El Capitan, I know that too well…

But you can look up the download URL of the package:

While downloading via Logic, the URL should be visible if you open /Application/Utilities/Console.app. Make sure the Log List is visible, select system.log and filter the window for "logic" to display just the corresponding log entries. The download URL for the Essentials should be there somewhere in plain text.

Copy the URL and paste it into the Download window of your browser to download it directly to your Download folder. Install it using the standard MacOS installer.

Alternatively, while Logic still displays the error message, the actual package should still be on your harddisk somewhere in the hidden /private/var/folders path. But that's something for advanced Mac users to go digging in there, so I won't go into details now.

Jan 7, 2021 1:04 PM in response to L. Moon

Try to download them via Logic first and follow the same procedure to look up the URLs, then redownload and install each package manually, because the internal Logic installer will eventually choke on them, too.

For what it's worth, to me this situation was not unexpected many years ago: it was the reason why I went to buy the Logic Studio 9 box on DVDs to upgrade from Logic Express 8 right after I read that Logic 9 would soon be distributed via App Store as download only…

After downgrading back to Yosemite from Catalina, my Logic Pro 9 won't open..What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.