Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad with iPadOS 14.4 and Mac with BigSur 11.2 do not open (Photos) Canon R6 CR3 RAW photos.

iPad with iPadOS 14.4 and Mac with BigSur 11.2 do not open (Photos) Canon R6 CR3 RAW photos.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 8:08 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED 99 %!

I can now open and edit CR3 photos on my Mac!

Canon R5 and R6 cameras also appeared to the list of supported cameras in my Mac!

What did I do? I opened Photos app on my Mac and let in run idle for a couple of hours. That's all I did. No re-installations or similar. There were a total of 6 Photos or iCloud related processes running, obviously they did something useful.

CR3 still does not open in iPad and iPhone, but I can live with that. And I believe that also they will soon become CR3 capable all by themselves.

GREAT!

i

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 8:08 AM in response to ybbe

PROBLEM SOLVED 99 %!

I can now open and edit CR3 photos on my Mac!

Canon R5 and R6 cameras also appeared to the list of supported cameras in my Mac!

What did I do? I opened Photos app on my Mac and let in run idle for a couple of hours. That's all I did. No re-installations or similar. There were a total of 6 Photos or iCloud related processes running, obviously they did something useful.

CR3 still does not open in iPad and iPhone, but I can live with that. And I believe that also they will soon become CR3 capable all by themselves.

GREAT!

i

Feb 5, 2021 3:29 AM in response to ybbe

We have been cross posting, sorry. It is not a good sign, that the camera model does not show as installed on your Mac, but you may still want to check, if your Mac can at least read the uncompressed RAW, if you are using a different RAW format setting in the camera.

Ad you may want to send feedback to Apple, that your camera does not appear in the installed RAW Support list of your Mac and the format is not recognised. Feedback - macOS - Apple

Feb 5, 2021 8:55 AM in response to ybbe

I am also very hesitant to do anything extra to the main system disk. That's why I often test suspicious software and things like this on an external Carbon Copy Cloner -cloned backup disk (or a cleanly installed external disk).

But basically you you just download the full Big Sur installer and either run it, or create a bootable USB flash installer, boot it and let it reinstall the system. It should just overwrite the old system install and leave user data intact. But backup before that, just in case. Carbon Copy Cloner allows you to make a bootable backup that can then be cloned back to the main disk if needed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Feb 5, 2021 2:54 AM in response to ybbe

Have you tried to use a different compression for the RAW files from your camera? Maybe, Apple Support forgot to add the footnote "uncompressed RAW only" for this camera in the list. Just try, if you can work with uncompressed RAW files.

You can see the installed and supported RAW in the System Information. Hold down the ⌥key, while clicking the  in the upper left corner, then select "System Information". Then scroll down to "Software" in the sidebar and click "RAW support".

When I check on my Mac with Big Sur, all Canon EOS R models are missing, but the Canon EOS R.

Feb 5, 2021 8:06 AM in response to léonie

Have you updated to macOS 11.2 Big Sur?

I can open Canon EOS R6 .cr3 in Photos.app 6.0 with my setup (mac Mini 2018, macOS 11.2).

p.s. screenshots below assembled and edited in 32-bit Photoshop CS6 13 on macOS 11.2 Big Sur with VMware Fusion 12.1.0 and OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. Also Lightroom 6.14 (with older raw support with Adobe DNG Converter if necessary), QuickTime Player 7 Pro, MPEG Streamclip etc work but the jury is still out whether this works in larger scale (my main disk is still running Mojave).

Feb 5, 2021 12:21 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Yes, CR3 should be supported since Feb. 2. But in reality Photos app in Mac and in iPad, with the latest OS, do not open a CR3 photo for viewing or editing. I really would need Photos to open CR3 photos for editing. Photos opens Canon 550D and Canon Powershot G9X RAW files for editing without problems, but not Canon R6 RAW, or CR3, files.

Feb 5, 2021 2:14 AM in response to ybbe

CR3 means very little here. It's just a file suffix that a lot of recent Canon cameras use. However, Raw support Is added on a model by model basis. You can have CR3s that are supported and ones that are not. Other apps, made by other makers have their own Raw support. It's quite independent of the OS raw support. As the R6 is not on the list you'll need to wait for it to be added if you want to use Photos fro processing Raws. Or, convert it to a DNG using Adobe's free adaptor.

Feb 5, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Matti, both my Mojave Macs are showing the R5 and R6 as installed, it is only on the Big Sur Macs, where the two cameras are missing from the System Information.

Does someone have a download link to a Canon EOS R6 Raw file for testing, so I could test, if my Mac can process them, in spite of the RAW support not being listed?

Feb 6, 2021 8:47 AM in response to ybbe

If possible, you could try a clean Big Sur install on an external disk.

But beware: just today I tried to make a clean install from Mojave to Big Sur on my main internal drive but the three attempts all taking 60 minutes to download the current Big Sur installer all failed at the final "The update could not be verified. An error occurred while installing the selected updates". Duh! I'll try later maybe in safe mode which seems to be the current trend :-/ Or maybe I just wait for Apple to get its act together.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.