Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use time capsule only for backups

How do I or can I use Time Capsule only as a backup disk on it's own network because I cannot use it as an extender on my Netgear router?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 12:29 PM

How do I or can I use Time Capsule only as a backup disk on it's own network

You probably don't really want to use the Time Capsule on its own network. It won't be able to function on the Netgear network if you do.

That being said, it is possible to set up the Time Capsule on its own network if you want, but then you will have to manually switch from the Netgear network to the Time Capsule network whenever you want to back up your Mac(s) and then manually switch back over to the Netgear network for normal network and Internet service.

Best option would be to connect the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable to the Netgear router, set up the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode and then turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule. That way, the Time Capsule will be on the same network as the Netgear router and you will be able to back up your Macs to the Time Capsule over the Netgear WiFi network.

Another way to say the same thing.......the Time Capsule will function as a back up hard drive only for the Netgear network. Things will be tons easier this way.

Post back if you need more tips on how to set things up.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Mylit

How do I or can I use Time Capsule only as a backup disk on it's own network

You probably don't really want to use the Time Capsule on its own network. It won't be able to function on the Netgear network if you do.

That being said, it is possible to set up the Time Capsule on its own network if you want, but then you will have to manually switch from the Netgear network to the Time Capsule network whenever you want to back up your Mac(s) and then manually switch back over to the Netgear network for normal network and Internet service.

Best option would be to connect the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable to the Netgear router, set up the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode and then turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule. That way, the Time Capsule will be on the same network as the Netgear router and you will be able to back up your Macs to the Time Capsule over the Netgear WiFi network.

Another way to say the same thing.......the Time Capsule will function as a back up hard drive only for the Netgear network. Things will be tons easier this way.

Post back if you need more tips on how to set things up.

Feb 27, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Mylit

Turning off the WiFi is the last step that you would perform. You have to get things working.....before....you turn off the Time Capsule WiFi.

Take a look at this other current thread for step by step instructions. The other user is doing the same thing that you want to do......and his Time Capsule is now set up and working correctly using the information that I provided.

Now, we're working on getting the backups going again.

Can I set up my Time Capsule to be just a back up disk?

use time capsule only for backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.