Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetoothd high cpu usage

Connecting and using a bluetooth mouse (MS Sculpt Comfort Mouse) causes high cpu usage of the process bluetoothd. After a little time surfing some websites this process has the highest amount on cpu time. Can be verified on two different products, Mac Mini 2012 and Macbook Pro Late 2013.

Apple please fix this finally!

(also mentioned in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251385748 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250871783)

The only solution (besides a workaround with bluetooth explorer) I have found so far is switching to a bluetooth device which uses BT 4.0 or above.

And here some background findings:

• MS Sculpt Comfort Mouse and other BT 3.x devices are affected by this MacOS bug
  • MS Surface Mobile Mouse (BT 4.x) and probably other BT 4.x/5.x hardware is not affected
  • the problem disappeared on my M1 Mac Mini during Big Sur 11.0 and 11.1, but as soon as Apple "fixed" its Bluetooth issues with 11.2, the problem reappeared again... Yippie

Maybe someone with connections to any serious tech journalist should contact him/her with the following calculation: Estimate how much energy is wasted worldwide by all apple computers when BT 3.0 Hardware is used. This must be many terra watt hours. So far kudos to Apple for not fixing such a bug for at least one whole year!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 3:06 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 15, 2021 9:21 PM in response to Chris_Mac_User

I can confirm. I have MBP13 2015 and MBP16 2019, both are affected with CPU being used to high with bt mouse MS Sculpt. I've even done a OS downgrade on MBP13 to avoid the issue, but I don't want to go with High Sierra on MBP16. Currently on MBP16 cpu usage is up to 30+%, which means, as I can understand, almost 2 cores of my 6 cores i7 processor, this thing is driving me crazy.

Apple, pls, fix the bug with bluetooth finally.

bluetoothd high cpu usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.