Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting (2021)

Wireless CarPlay on my 2021 Hyundai i30 keeps disconnecting at random intervals. In addition to that, it also disconnects at one specific location during my morning commute to work without fail every morning. To me they seem like two different issues, even though they share the same outcome.

The audio unit issuer for Hyundai, Seednav, has already released an update regarding this concern and I have installed it in my car. Unfortunately the issue still remains the same. Recent communications with Seednav have resulted in the blame being pointed towards apple. Is there a fix in the making for this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 3:19 AM

320 replies

May 6, 2021 5:14 AM in response to Dan765

Yes, and many of them share a common code base.

Most auto makers do not write their own software, they outsource it to a handful of vendors that users never know are in common.

If you feel it is your iPhone:

Have you contacted Pioneer? They are likely the ones who will need to fix their CarPlay implementation.

Apr 26, 2021 12:24 AM in response to Mynewbaby

Ever since this issue was posted buy multiple users, it has been a constant blame game between the radio manufacturers and apple. It seems like no one has bothered to come up with a solution rather than pointing fingers.

we all know that this isn’t a hardware issue since most of these units connect and perform perfectly well for the most part. To me it seems like a connectivity glitch caused by the software or some algorithm.

I genuinely hope that apple will release a fix for this in 14.5 but so far I haven’t been able to find any mention about this issue in their press releases.

It’s a great system when it works. I just hope between apple and the audio unit manufacturers, they would come up with a no-bullshit solution that would fix this once and for all.

(one more thing to point out is that this should not be confused with interference related drop outs. I have one location in my daily commute where I can predict down to the last 10 meters where it would drop out without fail. When this happens it also breaks the audio, similar to when you go out of range wearing a Bluetooth headset. However, during the other times, which is my major concern, the audio stays intact. Only the display drops. I hope some of you can relate to this phenomenon)

Mar 10, 2021 3:30 PM in response to CarsonTuning

Hello, CarsonTuning!

After reviewing your post, it seems like you are having some significant issues with CarPlay. We definitely understand that when that feature is not working smoothly, it can be a concern and we'd love to help. Let’s start by reviewing this article: If you need help with CarPlay

Please let us know if you have follow-up questions, or if the issue remains unresolved. Have a great day!

Mar 11, 2021 6:34 AM in response to CarsonTuning

Thanks for getting back with us, Nicholas_B2. At the moment, it does not look like your car is compatible with CarPlay, as you can see here: CarPlay: More than 600 models to choose from. If it was working previously, then no longer worked after an update, it would definitely be something the manufacturer would need to work on to restore compatibility. Not to worry though! We're sure Hyundai and Seednav will have another update available for you soon, so you can return to enjoying this feature.

Have a wonderful day!

Jun 25, 2021 6:34 AM in response to CarsonTuning

I think I *maybe* found a solution to this. At least for my 2021 Santa Fe, CarPlay is only available wirelessly -- which entails establishing both a Bluetooth and WiFi connection to the vehicle. While trying to troubleshoot this, I was just looking at Bluetooth issues but once I went into the details of the WiFi network from within iOS, I saw that the Low-Data Mode toggle had automatically been enabled. For some reason, my iPhone saw the car network as a hotspot and was limiting the data transmission between them. Normally, when my CarPlay would lose connection, the UI on the Nav Screen would go black but I would still be able to hear audio coming through the sound system. Once I turned off Low-Data Mode, the UI returned to the screen and I haven't had any disconnection issues arise since -- though it's only been a week or so.

Here's a support article to help you locate this toggle and please let me know if this works for you!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210596

Sep 5, 2021 7:59 PM in response to Jas_68

Apple does not officially read these boards except to ensure compliance with the Terms of Use governing them.

These forums are intended for Apple users to help others solve their technical issues.

Apple publishes a specification detailing exactly how CarPlay works and reacts.

If electronics manufacturers do not properly follow the printed specs, there’s nothing Apple can do about it.

You can’t force others to write proper code.

Ultimately, Apple can’t make them do the right thing; only those companies’ customers can.

Aug 2, 2021 5:10 AM in response to Mynewbaby

Don't know what this refers to but on previous post. None worked for me

• Toggle on Allow CarPlay While Locked in your iPhone’s CarPlay settings
  • Reset the infotainment system
  • Verify Siri is on or toggle Hey Siri off and back on
  • Use a different USB port or cable (or both)
  • Disable any Screen time restrictions on your iPhone
  • Check that both WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > WiFi and Settings > Bluetooth
  • Toggle Bluetooth off and on or turn off Bluetooth entirely when in your vehicle
  • Delete old Bluetooth connections no longer used
  • Remove any vehicles from CarPlay settings that you no longer use or need
  • Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS
  • Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car’s manual for more information.
  • Use official Apple Lightning cord

Sep 7, 2021 2:28 AM in response to Jas_68

I did not say all, but I can tell you I have had zero issues with CarPlay on vehicles from Toyota, Jeep and Nissan.

Believe me, I tried to get this issue to reproduce but it worked perfectly every time.

Note that many car makers outsource their in-car infotainment systems to various manufacturers so they don't have to deal with them.

For example:

It can also vary by geographic location:

Nov 6, 2021 6:26 PM in response to Jas_68

I didn’t mean the complete issue has stopped. If you paid attention from the start, there were two distinct issues with wireless CarPlay dropping out.

1. Random dropping out regardless of the location.
  2. Location specific dropping out caused by RF interference.

I hardly ever experience (1) anymore. But (2) is guaranteed every time I drive.

It may seem like one big issue but when you live with it long enough you start to see the patterns and notice the subtle differences.

Aug 1, 2021 11:23 PM in response to CarsonTuning

I just bought a 2021 Hyundai Elentra and I have a wireless Apple car play. It keeps disconnecting every other day. I would have to reset my entire setting and reconnect again and if I am lucky it goes back on. I read a lot of complaints online and they say it’s an Apple issue. I am not here to blame anybody but both Apple and Hyundai have to come up with the solution. Since we pay over 1000$ for the phone and over 20000$ for the car. Thank you.

Aug 21, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Undermyownpower

The same problem just occurs with my iPhone 12 Pro. My old iPhone XR and business iPhone XS are not affected. All the phones have iOS 14.7.1 installed.

Different original Apple USB A cables already tested. Didn’t help. The cable itself is well connected to both ports. 

It seems not to be a car manufacturers issue as many people describe this in different forums with different car brands.

I have a Mercedes C Class.

I am uploading a GIF regarding this issue as videos are not possible. There you can see it…slitghly touching the cable and then disconnected

Mar 10, 2021 4:23 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hey Nicholas_B2,

Thank you for your response. I’ve tried each and every step in that article. It still seems to be an ongoing issue. The audio unit supplier has issued an update which was supposed to address the issue but that failed. I have contacted apple support and lodged a case.

Hopefully there will be a fix from Apple’s end in the next major update. Not sure whether iOS 14.5 will have it but only time will tell whether that would make any difference to the concern which is experienced by multiple users across multiple car brands.

Hoping for the best!

Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting (2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.