Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I unfollow threads in the forum?

Clearly, this is a bug. And it seems to have been out there for a long time, so why isn't it fixed yet? I'm seeing posts as old as a few years back about it.

To follow a thread, you simply click the "Follow" box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, which changes it to "✔ Following".

It doesn't matter how many times I click the box, which then changes it back to "Follow", but it doesn't work. Once you refresh the page, it shows "✔ Following" again. I don't want a workaround to turn off email notifications for replies, because obviously if I start following any other threads, I do want to be notified…

I have also gone into the My Subscriptions page of my profile, but don't seem to be able to do anything from there.

HELP!!!

========================================

Here's one reply on this topic from a year ago from a high level user confirming it, but unfortunately not providing any solutions other than to turn off email notifications for replies.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251229972

lkrupp

User level:

Level 6

(8,682 points)

Answer:

... As you found out you apparently cannot unfollow a thread, it changes back immediately.

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 2:29 PM

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:35 PM

8 replies

Mar 25, 2021 7:24 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

That is the way to do it - two steps:

1. Unfollow within that thread
2. Click on your name > click on Preferences in the popup > UNcheck whatever you do not want.
Screenshot of mine:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b5f9b3f5-aaaf-4318-9e05-b1e4346aaba4

FWIW, it isn't a "bug". That is how the site was designed to work - whether you or we like it or not. The mods are aware of it. Asking us why it "isn't fixed" does not help - we do not work for Apple.

Sometimes you do need do that more than once until it "sticks". I've not had a problem with it - the only ones I get are the ones I am actively participating in.

Ummm... Thanks for replying, but it really looks like you simply glossed over mine before doing so. There are factual inaccuracies in what you say.

Solution #1 – as I even indicated is how it is supposed to work – is to simply click the Following box to uncheck it. The same way you would normally Follow the thread. EXCEPT it doesn't work. When you do so, you initially see the box change back to "Follow", but upon refreshing the page, it just changes back to "Following".

Here's the kicker: after typing the above, just for fun I went to test it on the two threads that I was following at one point, and I am now able to unfollow one of them! After refreshing the page, it does not switch back, and when I go to My Subscriptions afterwards, the thread disappears from the list! So it seems to work now!

But not the other thread... It refuses to play along. Go figure! This is literally the definition of a bug! LOL

I wonder if the bug has something to do with not being able to do so within xx days of your last post in a thread…

And in this thread, before "Posting" this reply, I was able to unfollow this thread, and it wouldn't switch back. I will try it again after I click Post, to test the above theory of mine.

And "Solution #2"... Sorry but that's not even a solution. That's just a workaround / sledgehammer approach to solving a problem. I want to get emails for some threads that I am still interested in, and not for others. This "solution" is simply turning off the functionality – not fixing the underlying problem.

Mar 19, 2021 1:42 PM in response to Lotus9999

That is the way to do it - two steps:

1. Unfollow within that thread
  2. Click on your name > click on Preferences in the popup > UNcheck whatever you do not want.

Screenshot of mine:

FWIW, it isn't a "bug". That is how the site was designed to work - whether you or we like it or not. The mods are aware of it. Asking us why it "isn't fixed" does not help - we do not work for Apple.

Sometimes you do need do that more than once until it "sticks". I've not had a problem with it - the only ones I get are the ones I am actively participating in.

Apr 7, 2021 4:43 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote: Yes, it is a bug, the hosts are aware of it. It has more to do with how many posts you have, sometimes you can tap to unfollow, refresh and keep doing it until it finally sticks.

OMG! It finally happened!!! As you say, it's totally random in terms of how many times you have to click unfollow, before it actually sticks... On another thread, as I mentioned above, it worked the 2nd time, but this one thread that I have probably clicked 20 times, nothing happened – until today!

I am officially free of updates (which were garbage alas, thanks to a prolific troll in that thread) from that thread!!! Fingers crossed!

Apr 22, 2021 8:01 AM in response to Lotus9999

I've just managed to unfollow. The key is to press the "Unfollow" button between page refresh and page finished loading. I clicked the Unfollow button just before the page finished loading and now it's showing "Follow" each time I refresh - finally!!!!!

The issue could be a caused by some code that's loading near the end of the page and thus breaking the Unfollow functionality.

Good luck!

ps. I used the latest version of Chrome on MBP13 M1 2020.

Apr 22, 2021 12:10 PM in response to davidsadowski

Interesting! In other words, this is the exact sequence you did it? F5 and then when the page has loaded just enough for you to see the Unfollow box but before it has finished, click it? You don’t exactly say.

If that’s the case, then there are two ways to do so. On the threads I was having trouble on, I definitely would not have refreshed before clicking the button. So it's random and by using your method. I’m afraid to follow any threads, just to try your theory though! 😂

If you truly have discovered a consistent method to Unfollow, then you should be able to reproduce your results once more on a thread that is buggy. In other words, try to Unfollow the “normal“ way a few times, and if it doesn’t work (switches back to Follow after you refresh the page), then try your method and see if it is fullproof.

Have you tried?

Apr 25, 2021 2:42 AM in response to Lotus9999

"F5 and then when the page has loaded just enough for you to see the Unfollow box but before it has finished, click it?"

I wasn't platform specific on purpose but the above is correct.

I'm on Mac so it's CMD + R. I just managed to unsubscribe from another thread I no longer want to received notifications from - persistence pays off too.

Cheers,

David

Why can't I unfollow threads in the forum?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.