Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new 2021 iMac operating Big Sur freezes up every few days requiring a reboot. Anyone else with this problem?

new 2021 iMac operating Big Sur freezes up every few days requiring a reboot. Anyone else with this problem?

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 1:50 PM

13 replies

Mar 22, 2021 1:57 PM in response to arnoldfromriva

Hi arnoldfromriva,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 5, 2021 3:40 PM in response to Jack-19

Jack

Apple finished their review about 10 days ago. They checked hardware components- everything OK and then erased and re-installed the operating system and ran software for 24 hours- no problems found. They advised re-installing my software, e.g. MS office suite step wise to see what if any of it may be causing the problem. So, I first let computer sit for a while without re-installing anything to see if problem occurred - it didn't. Then I installed MS Office suite and that was OK.

But quite by accident I did discover that my external hard drive was apparently causing the problem which I was able to verify by disconnecting the hard drive when computer froze which immediately returned computer to normal operation.

Who woulda thought!!

Apr 6, 2021 8:01 AM in response to DeeperDiver

SEAGATE Free Agent "GoFlex" drive. Interestingly it worked quite well with my older iMac and works OK intermittently on my current machine.

But since you mention the cable possibly being defective it brings to mind trouble I was having getting a secure connection recently on my older iMAC. It seemed the cable connection was erratic and I had to switch around to different ports until it stabilized. Maybe I should try a new cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.