Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Apple Lightning/USB camera adapter to work any more! (Last used Sept 2019)

Starting about eight years ago, I've used an Apple USB (Type A) camera adapter to transfer photos from my DLSR camera(s) to my iPad or iPhone without removing the memory card. I've done this with three different Canon cameras and several different iPhones and iPads over the years, so I was very familiar with what had been a simple process:

1 - connect the USB cable to camera

2 - turn the camera on, if it was not already on

3 - connect the USB cable to the USB port of the the adapter

4 - plug in the Lightning cable to the iPad or iPhone

Sometimes I had to turn the camera off and on to trigger the detection of the connected camera, but the Photo Import screen would come up where I could select pics to transfer, optionally deleting them after the transfer, and then to view/edit the photos, share them, etc., from my device.

I hadn't done this since September 2019, the pandemic kind of shut down my photography for a long while. Today, now with a new iPhone 12 Pro (formerly iPhone X) but still the same first gen iPad Pro, I found that using the same adapter, and the same camera, no longer does.. .Anything. At all. No error message, no nothing.

I've tried both my iPad and iPhone, I've used different USB cables, two cameras, even got a second Apple USB A camera adapter, tried reversing the up/down polarity on the Lightning plug head... Nothing ever triggers the import or even acts like anything has been plugged in.

However, if I use these USB cables and connect my cameras to a PC, it detects and imports immediately.

I've always updated iOS to the latest version; has something changed in iOS since Sept 2019 to require some kind of menu enabling for the camera adapter to work now?

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:54 PM

OK I figured it out with a different Google search, this time assuming it was an iOS 14 change... And it is!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251837417

The import is no longer automatically triggered, I have to go into "Photos" and then select it as a device.

4 replies

Apr 8, 2021 6:48 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I don't know what you mean - the iPhone 12 Pro has a lightning port, not USB-C. I charge this every day so I know. (Maybe the Max version does? I don't have the Max)

In any case, I am primarily concerned with using the same USB-A to Lightning camera adapter I've always used, most recently in Sept 2019 with my first gen iPad Pro 9.7 (2016) and my Canon 7D Mk II. The only thing that has changed in this combo is the version of iOS.

I've tested the USB-A cables (both 2.0 and 3.0) on several Canon cameras (7D, 5D, T3i) with my PC, they work fine; and if it was my Apple camera adapter that somehow flaked out, I got a new one and it also does nothing.

Mentioning the iPhone was simply to say I also ruled out the iPad's Lightning port somehow being at fault (it charges and syncs to iTunes just fine over it anyway).

If you mean the iPhone 12 came with a Lightning to USB-C cable, what does that have to do with anything? I'm not using it. I'm using the same USB-A cables I've always used with my camera adapter.

The Apple camera adapter is USB-A female on one end, Lightning male on the other; I use a USB 2.0 or 3.0 male to USB-A male cable to plug my cameras into the adapter's USB female port, and the Lightning male plug goes into the iPad or iPhone. I thought that was obvious, sorry if I was unclear.

Can't get Apple Lightning/USB camera adapter to work any more! (Last used Sept 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.