Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy folder icons in Finder any more

Somehow, I have lost the ability to copy folder icons in the Finder. I use folder icons to easily recognize different locations, and I have a collection of icons that I use. As of a few days ago, most of the time when I click on a folder, choose Get Info, click on the icon, and choose Copy, nothing is copied. When I did this a few weeks back, it worked fine. (Confirmed with Show Clipboard in Finder). If I get an image into the clipboard, I can paste it into the Get Info window of a folder, it's just the copy that doesn't work.

And, in fact, sometimes the first time I do a copy after reboot it will work, but only sometimes.

I haven't changed permissions anywhere (and the problem affects all folders in my home folder tree). I recently did a Disk First Aid to confirm no errors on the disk. I did a Safe Boot, and it also didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3. Intel.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 7:31 PM

Hi

I solved it (tho I don't understand it).

I have a BlackMagic eGPU. I ejected it, and unplugged it, and then I could copy and paste custom icons to folders. I plugged it back in, and the problem hasn't returned. I have not rebooted though.

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 21, 2021 11:56 AM in response to alanterra

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 25, 2021 2:18 PM in response to alanterra

Now we know that the problem is limited to your user account. So in your account download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Apr 25, 2021 1:33 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad. Sorry I didn't see that you had replied a 2nd time. Yes, this works without problems on a new account (no administrator permissions).

I wonder if I should erase my computer and restore from a Time Machine backup. I seem to have to do this on a regular basis; it would create a new user (me) with default permissions.

Thoughts?

Can't copy folder icons in Finder any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.