Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with resolution Apple TV 4K after TVOS update 14.5

Since I've ungrade my ATV to 14.5 I have had issues with the resolution. It won't appear now through my AV reciever. I've had to use it in another TV and changed it to 576p. I tried this in my reciever but when I try to change back my screen goes black. It was working perfectly before this update. Also the ATV is now stuck on 576p and when I try to change it to any other resolution it gives me an error and stays on 576p. What a nightmare.

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 10:38 AM

Similar questions

48 replies

Apr 29, 2021 8:01 PM in response to warrenfromdublin 15

I faced the same problem yesterday just done and issue had resolved by doing the factory reset.

I have tried so many things before choosing the factory reset

like checking the hdmi connection

doing soft reset

try to switch back to even lower resolution like 480p or even 720p but nothing even worked.

so here it goes I just crossed my mind and done with the factory reset

Apr 29, 2021 11:10 PM in response to Mohit’s432

Oh really? Well definitely a bug with 14.5 so. I'm very apprehensive updating software from apple lately.

So what I have found is so far:

Issue changing resolution. Unable to switch back without a factory reset.

Issue with resolution for pass through AV recievers. Unable to display picture on anything over 720p.

The Apple TV at the moment is useless to me. It has become a paperweight. Since I cannot revert back to 14.4 and it's still in warranty any ideas on what can be done?

Apr 30, 2021 2:36 AM in response to Mohit’s432

I've got to go to an authorized apple service centre which is 10 mins from my home. They said that with the reciever bits a 3rd party device and nothing to do with them. However the changing of the resolution changing bug is something they said that would be liable for and will swap out. I'll keep you posted. It's definitely a bug in 14.5 aswell as passthrough non AV recievers.

Apr 30, 2021 2:40 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The issue was never there in 14.4

Bugs.

Issue with picture on passthrough on recievers.

When manually changing resolution you are unable to change back and it results in an error in screen and does not change.

Try it for yourself. Go into settings and into video and audio and change the resolution to say to 576p. Once that's done then try and change it back.

Let me know how you get on?

Apr 30, 2021 2:43 AM in response to warrenfromdublin 15

The receiver will tell the Apple TV which resolutions it supports; the Apple TV will then only offer you the resolutions the receiver has told it are available. If the issue were happening with a new installation, I'd be looking at a problem with the receiver or cabling. Since the issue occurred after an update, it's more likely to be the update that is the problem.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean an issue with the update, but possibly that the update process went wrong. Did you ever try a restore?

Apr 30, 2021 2:48 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Agreed. As I said worked flawlessly on 14.4

There is nothing to say that even though it did install that it didn't install correctly.

It won't allow me to reinstall the update so Apple Support said. Only the service centre can do that.

Have you tried changing the resolution manually yourself to see if the bug is on yours too and then change it back?

Apr 30, 2021 4:07 AM in response to Mohit’s432

Just back for the repair centre. They are unable to restore or reflash the unit. They are going to replace it for me but they won't have it until Monday. They just said not to update this one.

But the issue I have is I was hoping they would be able to reflash and check the resolution issue. If it worked then I'd know that the update I done there was an issue but now I won't know and I can't update incase it is.

I'm surprised at Apple Support sending me there if they couldn't reflash the update.

Apr 30, 2021 8:53 PM in response to warrenfromdublin 15

I have also spoken to apple support team by yesterday and they told me it's totally a software issue just not relate it with hardware one because it could be that one the other thing will also be effective such as watching movies on 4k 24hz so you won't be able to switch it back to normal resolution whichever you are using though. although they just want me to wait for couple of days 'til they will find and comeback with solution or maybe the last solution is to diagnose the device by apple care team and come to the final result.

Issues with resolution Apple TV 4K after TVOS update 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.