Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS 14.6 update iPhone's battery drains while my smart battery case remains fully charged

I just updated my iPhone 7 to iOS 14.6 and since then the iPhone's battery drains while my smart battery case remains fully charged (ps. I did try all the steps stated in other articles).

Does anyone have a similar problem? if so do you have any solution?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 26, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 9:08 PM

Yes indeed. Had reported this issue at Apple Support. After iOS 14.6, the smart battery indicator no longer appears at lock screen the moment u plug in/unplug the charging cord, and the iPhone apparently draws power from the internal battery instead of the case. Remove/re-attach the case seems to be the temporary solution. The issue did not occur prior to iOS 14.6, i really believe it’s a iOS bug. Hope Apple Team could investigate & rectify it asap as it’s quite a serious issue.

171 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 9:08 PM in response to iMomo7

Yes indeed. Had reported this issue at Apple Support. After iOS 14.6, the smart battery indicator no longer appears at lock screen the moment u plug in/unplug the charging cord, and the iPhone apparently draws power from the internal battery instead of the case. Remove/re-attach the case seems to be the temporary solution. The issue did not occur prior to iOS 14.6, i really believe it’s a iOS bug. Hope Apple Team could investigate & rectify it asap as it’s quite a serious issue.

Jun 2, 2021 9:55 AM in response to iMomo7

Solution that worked for me:

I shut my iPhone down and removed the smart battery case.

I, then, reattached the iPhone (still shut down) into the battery case and let it reboot by itself (it's automatic).

The smart battery case still doesn't show up when charging, but it works and you can see its percentage in the notification center.

Hope this helps!

May 27, 2021 10:12 AM in response to iMomo7

Hello iMomo7

Thank you for posting on Apple Support Communities. It looks like you have read the correct article: Charge your iPhone with your Smart Battery Case.

If you are still having problems with the case/iPhone combo, you should contact Apple Support as stated in that same article, at the bottom. There might possibly be a hardware issue going on with one of the two devices.

Good luck!

Jun 3, 2021 3:12 PM in response to iMomo7

I have exactly the same issue & not happy with apple for allowing it to happen. I charge my iphone 7 up and when the charge cable is disconnected the iphone used it’s own battery instead of the case. Before the 14.6 update it was the other way round, which was great. The update has made it crap putting it mildly. I’ve only got two solutions. None of them particularly great but here it is

1. when the power cable is disconnected, slide the iphone 7 out of it’s battery case enough to disconnect the cases power plug and then slide the iphone 7 back into it’s case. Then use your fingerprint to authorise the cases use. When this is done iphone 7 uses the battery case as the primary battery power.
  2. Turn the iphone 7 on and completely restart the iphone 7.

The only trouble is even after you’ve followed the steps mentioned and they have worked through the day fine. Once you plug the iphone 7 back into it’s charger you have to repeat the steps mentioned again. Hence why I’m not too happy with Apple about it.

Jun 23, 2021 6:07 AM in response to Girlie Mac Novice

1. Just found on another site which (keeping fingers crossed) seems to be helping (as the battery case is starting to charge the phone). The advice was to

1. Turn on your charging case. When, or if, the error appears, just dismiss it.

2. Turn ON Airplane Mode.

3. Turn OFF your phone by pressing the sleep/wake button until the screen turns black and a slider appears. Leave the device off for 1-2 minutes.

4. Switch your iPhone ON by holding down the sleep/wake button again, then, turn airplane mode OFF.

Hopefully this will continue to work.

May 31, 2021 3:36 AM in response to iMomo7

I confirm that I have the same issue since the update 14.6, it is impossible to charge the cell phone and the battery case together. If i plug both( iphone X + battery case) and the lightning cable into my battery case, the iphone wont charge only the battery case while you see both icone of the battery and the iphone charging

May 31, 2021 12:24 PM in response to Sharon_419

I contacted Apple support a few days ago with this. They recommended taking the phone out of the case and plugging them in to charge separately, then restarting the phone and plugging it back in the case. The problem was not fixed. When I mentioned that the problem happened right after doing the update, they repeatedly told me a software update couldn’t cause a problem with the case, since the case was hardware. I replied that articles online about the case describe it as a software-hardware integration. I agreed to wait a few days and see if Apple could solve the problem.

May 31, 2021 2:05 PM in response to ntobin99

I agree that it is the update; my case is also new and never had a problem. Customer service was friendly but needed a lot of convincing to get past the software/hardware issue. I pointed out that software had to be involved for the Widget and Lockscreen settings to be automated when plugging the case in. I wish some news would come out about it publicly since so many people are posting about it. My phone is running down to low power mode every day.

May 31, 2021 7:47 PM in response to iMomo7

Same here! I have the second generation SE. My phone will die before the battery kicks in. The only way to get it to work is to partially remove the case and then plug the battery case back in. Takes a couple of seconds but is kind of annoying to do every time. Could see how it could be useful for some other folks who wished this smart battery case had an on and off button to turn on only when they need the extras juice. I prefer to leave my battery topped off in the conventional manner before this update.

I use my phone as a rain noise box at night while I sleep. I leave the phone charging in the smart case. One night, the phone died while charging and my rain noise stopped, subsequently. When I turned my phone on, the battery case was fully charged but the phone was complete dead. I thought this could be a problem with my smart case but it seems like everyone is having the same problem. Please fix this problem in update 14.7! Thanks

Since iOS 14.6 update iPhone's battery drains while my smart battery case remains fully charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.