Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 mini battery health

I boughed a iPhone 12 mini on the 5th of April (less then 2 months old) and the battery capacity (health) is already down to 98%. It is charged during te night (connected to a hue plug), turned on around 3:00 and off at 6:30. If the battery is at 80% the hue plug is turned off early. At the end of the day I still have around 40% left. Because I keep phones for longer than 3 years I wanted to maintain battery life and keep it between 20-80%. But it seems it is doing the opposite. Could this be a software/algorithm error or should I start to panic.

note that I don’t have to charge more than once each day.

Posted on May 31, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 11:43 AM

Hello,

The battery health being down to 98% is normal and is nothing to worry about.

Having charging stopping at 80% is due to Optimized Battery Charging. See this:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone

For some general battery charging tips, see this:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Good luck.

25 replies

Jul 5, 2021 10:36 AM in response to arcalim

Battery Health monitoring was released in March 2018? How many phones have you actually owned since March 2018?

Batteries are consumable parts. With every full cycle charge, it's Battery Health will decline a little.

A 2% drop in Battery Health in about 2 months is not only NOT excessive, it's expected and normal. Before Battery Health monitoring, none of us had a clue about the health of our batteries. Now people are constantly checking the reading and worrying needlessly. If in the first 12 months of ownership, your battery health dips to 80% or less (extremely unlikely, btw), then and only then would you have an issue. And Apple would replace the battery for free if it did dip that low in the first 12 months.

Otherwise, make sure you use Optimized Charging in Settings > Battery and plug your phone in to charge when you go to bed at night and leave it charging all night long. This is the best way to preserve battery health.

See this link --> Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

May 31, 2021 12:04 PM in response to MrBill3

Thank you for your reply. The 80% charge stop was done through a hue plug and a Siri automation. If charge>80% turn of the hue plug and thus unplugging the charger. Earlier tips said keeping it between 20-80% is increasing the number of charge cycles. So that is what I tried to do. Anyhow lossing 2% seems like a lot to me in two months or isn’t it? If you really stress the battery I can expect it to drop faster (multiple charge cycles a day or extreme temperatures), but that’s not the case.

Jul 5, 2021 11:08 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Had 6s, 7 and xr. Prior to 2018 had the 4 and 5s. Battery capacity do decline whether you like it or not. But based on my experience that decline was quite fast. I don’t know if it’s the way i’m using my phones or maybe “luck” as i have said but they surpassed 6 mos before they drop a %. With the xr it was almost a year if not a year that i noticed it dropped to 99%. When i replaced it after around 2 years of use it had 98%. Of course mileage varies.

iPhone 12 mini battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.