Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 pro battery health droping like crazy

Is this normal that my battery health on my iPhone 12 pro is 93%. Phone was activated on 7.11.2020. Evey update my phone loses battery health. Im runing ios 14.6. Worst phone that i hade, i can’t use it. I need to turn everything off so i can use it for half a day. Can someone help on this.

Posted on May 31, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 10:03 AM

This is my app usege in picture and my battery just droped to 92%. I can not charge my phone all the time. I used alot of iphones but this battery in iphone 12pro is a joke. Can’t even use 5G it’s drained my phone even quicker. . My friend hase iphone 12 and uses his phone more and has still 99% battery health. Hope that I didn’t get another broken phone like i did with 6s. 😞 thank you for helping me and for all the info. 👍🔥

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 10:03 AM in response to MrBill3

This is my app usege in picture and my battery just droped to 92%. I can not charge my phone all the time. I used alot of iphones but this battery in iphone 12pro is a joke. Can’t even use 5G it’s drained my phone even quicker. . My friend hase iphone 12 and uses his phone more and has still 99% battery health. Hope that I didn’t get another broken phone like i did with 6s. 😞 thank you for helping me and for all the info. 👍🔥

Jun 1, 2021 5:11 AM in response to ales03

Hello,

Depending on usage, battery health of 93% is normal and is nothing to worry about. If it falls below 80% during the first year it will generally be replaced under warranty.

Have you checked the apps that are consuming your battery? Go to Settings > Battery > BATTERY USAGE BY APP. Then deal with the top offenders.

See this for some charging tips:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Good luck.

Jul 21, 2021 3:26 PM in response to ales03

Mine is at 90% health. Bought in November. In May it was 94% when I first complained. They tested it and declared it normal. It dropped another 4% after two more months. Again, Apple says it's normal, though when I persisted, the "genius" said it doesn't seem normal to him as I only have 95 charging cycles, and use it lightly. Their diagnostics say there's no issue, though they agreed to send it to their "depot" for further testing - apparently they'll have my phone for a week or so. They said it might result in the battery being replaced, or it could confirm a "normal" diagnosis and I'd be out of luck.

I say it's definitely not normal, a I'm really a light user. With almost the same use and charging pattern daily, sometimes the charge drops to 34% or so by the time I go to bed and charge it. Other times with similar usage, it is at 78% or so at bed time.

I have a fear that they will determine it's normal, and that it will hit 79% just after my warranty is up. So far, I'm not impressed with this $1400CAD purchase. I might have been impressed if Apple had just acknowledged maybe having some some bad units, and simply replaced it (or its battery) without hassle. I had to really press them to look further into it.

They did give me a loaner iPhone 8, but I was forced to wipe out my eSIM, and go back to a Nano Sim, as the iPhone 8 is their newest loaner. Seems a bit silly that they can't do loaners that handle eSIM. The tech made it sound like it was my fault for using eSIM. That rubbed me the wrong way! And I just know there will be a charge from my telco to redo the eSIM.

I'm starting to wonder about Apple. About 5 years ago when I had a battery issue (with a much lesser phone), they couriered me a new phone in 24 hours, with pre-paid shipping to return the bad unit. I did not get the same concern this time on what I consider a premium model.

Jul 25, 2021 3:34 AM in response to AndreTheGeek

I am having the same issues with my iPhone 12 Pro’s battery - currently at 93%. It started dropping so quickly. I don’t do anything strenuous or demanding on my phone - no gaming whatsoever! I could take the phone off the charger and using the transit app and maps for a short period could see the battery drop so low - like 5% low after 2 hours of use. I had a lot of hope going for this, as a long term phone. Now quite disappointed and thinking of other options other than iPhones.

Jul 25, 2021 8:31 AM in response to RickGH85

I feel for you. Mine is still in for "service", but the status says they could not reproduce the issue, and it is being sent back.

I guess they can just pick an arbitrary threshold, and state they won't replace the battery until it drops below 80% health. I will be seriously reconsidering whether or not I give them a large amount of money again. I'm not impressed.

When I was in the store, I did mention that many people on the forums are experiencing the same issues, and the same drop in health. The guy said "oh, on forums eh". Yeah, like everyone comes here and makes stuff up just for fun.

Jul 25, 2021 9:22 AM in response to AndreTheGeek

The manufacturers of lithium polymer batteries set the 80%/500 cycle standard based upon testing with a variety of electronic devices including smartphones. They are consumables and there are a myriad of variables involved with how fast the battery health drops, which is normally not in a linear fashion. A battery still above 90% health is in good shape. Check it again about an month prior to your warranty ending and if it has reached 80% use your warranty to get it replaced. Otherwise stop worrying about it.

Battery technology is what is holding up progress with small electronic devices, if you can invent a new battery technology you will be among the 1% very quickly.

Jul 25, 2021 9:30 AM in response to AndreTheGeek

Exactly! Sadly, it seems, that’s where they find satisfaction. Last year when the battery on my XS dropped from 98 to 92% during the beta stage, I attributed it to the beta. I got the 12 Pro for the battery and camera, mostly. I decided not to touch the beta softwares. Strange that this pattern is repeating around the same period. Even more sad - I’m so invested in the Apple ecosystem, making a decision to use something else quite impossible. Nothing on the other side excites me. I’m probably just going to wait till this battery drops to 80% and have it replaced. I’m not giving over 1000€ to Apple again for a long time.

Jul 25, 2021 9:34 AM in response to deggie

So if I'm halfway there, at (according to what you state) with about 250 charging cycles, perhaps this might be relevant.

Apple's diagnostics showed I've only had 95 charging cycles, and the "genius" at the "bar" admitted that 90% was highly unusual for only 95 charging cycles. This is why he sent it out for further diagnosis instead of sending me on my way.

I'm going to go with that tech on this one - despite their corporate decision not to replace it because of their blanket 80% threshold. The tech felt they should replace it, but he had to go through the required process.

Again, your post above definitely wasn't helpful. Really no point posting sarcastic shots at people who in any way have the gall to criticize the company. Please just take it elsewhere.

Jul 25, 2021 9:41 AM in response to deggie

Of course I don't run it, but I participate in a useful fashion. If I can help, I offer help. If I have an issue, I post about it.

I could come and post like you, something that does neither, and only provides some kind of twisted satisfaction. I do not.

Again, take it elsewhere. It is not productive, helpful, or even friendly. It is a waste. Yes, you can respond again somehow defending yourself, or you can just admit your post was not useful except to you yourself.

Jul 25, 2021 9:49 AM in response to AndreTheGeek

Since you asked where the 80% came from, and I explained it and talked about current limitations of lithium polymer batteries I would consider it helpful. And considering my point total compared to yours I would say I have been somewhat helpful.

It doesn’t matter what the Genius at the Apple Store thought and yes battery health can drop that fast with less cycles depending on usage environment and other variables. If your battery continues to drop at an accelerated rate you will get it replaced under your warranty, but again it does not drop in a linear fashion. So why fret looking at it? Check it a month prior to your warranty expiration.

Jul 25, 2021 9:56 AM in response to deggie

No, that's not what you posted. You followed up with that "explanation" when I challenged your sarcastic post.

Your reply was:

"You should buy your next phone from a company that doesn’t use 80% as a threshold. Let me give you a list:

1."

100% sarcasm. 0% useful information. Had you not posted that, and only posted your defensive follow-up, then it might have been slightly helpful (and NOT sarcastic). Now you're trying to pretend you didn't initially respond sarcastically, by mentioning your followup post.

Take your sarcasm elsewhere. Your post was not useful. Suggestion: Try pausing before posting next time, and go straight to the non-sarcastic post. You might be better received.

Sorry, but you didn't save face. Now just go away.

Jul 25, 2021 11:18 AM in response to deggie

You did post a sarcastic useless post, followed by a semi-useful post after challenged. You didn't even read the posts that preceded your replies, which indicated I was actually having issues with the battery, other than the "health".

Your post was sarcastic, and of no use. You only followed up when challenged. Try to deny it all you want. You initially just lashed out with a completely non-helpful post.

I do feel sorry for those that have to interact with you in real life. Now PLEASE go away and bother some other people who like your sarcasm.

Iphone 12 pro battery health droping like crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.