Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded lossless songs stop at 15 seconds every time

iPhone 11 latest iOS, all downloaded lossless songs (data for Music is off) stop playing right at the 15 second mark. When on wifi, no problems at all. Non-lossless songs also no problem. It's only with lossless songs that are downloaded to the phone. Anyone else? Didn't happen yesterday or even this morning, that's the odd thing. Also tends to freeze up the app to some degree as well.

Doesn't matter if it's directly on the phone's speakers, bluetooth, or usb connection to either car or home A/V receiver. Same problem.

Did this in airplane mode, too... same problem. Force quit the app.... same problem. Restarted the phone.... same problem and then hard restarted the phone.... same problem.

Only thing left is to wipe the phone and restore it from my back up.... last resort only.

Anyone else run into this?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 12:49 PM

Hey there Jimborewski,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having issues with lossless songs quitting at 15 seconds. We’ll be happy to help.

Before restoring your device, delete the Music app from your iPhone, restart, and then reinstall the app. You’ll have to download your songs again after this. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Similar questions

125 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Jimborewski

Hey there Jimborewski,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having issues with lossless songs quitting at 15 seconds. We’ll be happy to help.

Before restoring your device, delete the Music app from your iPhone, restart, and then reinstall the app. You’ll have to download your songs again after this. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Jun 14, 2021 2:14 PM in response to OctavioRCelis

Mmmm... that's odd... well here's the complete scenario:

• Lossless quality turned on
  • Download a playlist which has most of the tracks using lossless format
  • Did this using WiFi
  • Data is turned off for Music (so when I'm out of WiFi reach I can only play downloaded songs)
  • Go for a walk using my AirPods
  • Songs stop playing after 15sec (no matter if they're lossless or not)

I first thought it was an issue with my AirPods but just using the iPhone that issue continues

Then what I did to "solve" it:

• Remove all lossless downloads
  • Turn off lossless option
  • Download all the songs using standard quality

I just checked my iPhone and it is still working. No WiFi enabled. No need to say that the issue doesn't happen when using WiFi. Quick question: did you remove all downloaded songs? Because that was the "trick". I tried just turning off Lossless quality but it makes no difference. Can this be more annoying?

Jun 14, 2021 4:51 PM in response to Jimborewski

[Problem NOT Solved for me yet, still testing]

Hi all,

I had same issue and tried this fix:

1. Sign out of Apple ID from App Store
  2. Switch iPhone completely OFF
  3. Switch iPhone back ON
  4. Sign in again in App Store with Apple ID
  5. Run Apple Music Again
  6. Offline Music in Lossless will now play beyond 15 second mark (note some of the previously download track need to be downloaded again - depending on how fast you are to complete above process ;) )

hope this works for the rest of you!

Best Regards,

Warvenger

Jun 29, 2021 11:17 AM in response to Jimborewski

Hello,

I had a similar issue (iPhone 12 pro, iOS 14.6) and this is how i solved it:

1. open settings
  2. click on your picture/name on the top to open your apple ID
  3. click on Media and Purchases.
  4. click on sign out (Heads up: this will sign you out from media services such as apple music, news, etc. and also will delete all the already downloaded music)
  5. sign back in with your apple ID
  6. restart your phone
  7. Head to apple music, and re-download the songs you wanted.

My lossless songs would only play for 15 seconds in offline mode, after this it was fixed.

hope this helps,

Bests

Jul 30, 2021 2:58 AM in response to AshInTheWilderness

I flew CPH-FRA-MIA and back with all my songs capped at 0:15 seconds. I almost went my mad as I had to listen to the Evolution of Hip-Hop downloaded on Netflix on iOS 14.6 just to have some content in my headphones during 12 hours of flight.

But I’m happy to report that for me the iOS 14.7.1 fixed it. Check the photos of Dolby Atmos and Lossless playing past 0:15 seconds in Flight Mode.

Jun 11, 2021 6:02 PM in response to Jimborewski

I followed the above directions after experiencing the same issue, also to no avail. Hopefully the next update fixes this? Interestingly, I’ve also noticed that by allowing a data connection, whether via cellular or WiFi, while the song is in its “non-playing state”, and then turning the data off again, the song can then play entirely through without issue. This makes me think the song is fully downloaded to my phone, and that this issue is with reading it, rather than streaming it.

Jun 14, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Jimborewski

I have that same issue on my iPhone XR, i thought that I was the only one hahaha I hope that apple patch this bug ASAP.

Update.

on a call with apple support they recommend me that i re download my lossless songs to the standard quality, the problem got solved for about one or two days but today give me that same problem.

and also on my downloaded Dolby Atmos songs occurred the bug.

Jun 14, 2021 2:29 PM in response to Jimborewski

Okay i had the same problem , after chatting with apple support it got fixed somehow or rather.

download another or new song first , check if the new song plays pass the 15 secs mark . If it does then try streaming next.

next find another new song , and try playing it via streaming directly.

it worked for me . Im guessing its either a bug or like a data error.

try it and let me know. If it works for you too.

Jun 15, 2021 3:50 PM in response to RigaRickMoranis

All I can say is that we can't experience Lossless and/or Dolby Atmos the way it was intended. I understand that is a BIG, MAJOR issue that has to be corrected. Sign out, remove downloads, restart phone, all this are things that we didn't have to be doing in the first place if a service and/or product is tested enough. Again, hoping for a quick fix. Until then I'll be listening to the songs using the AAC format. Specially one by Shirley & Co.: Shame, shame, shame.

Jun 16, 2021 1:21 AM in response to CarlosHMoller

Exactly. This was driving me mad:

I had one playlist at Lossless quality for the ‘good headphones’ and another playlist at standard quality for running using Bluetooth headphones.

After downloading the Lossless audio, the Music setting was returned to standard AAC.

While running - listening to Bluetooth headphones and the standard quality music, music repeatedly stopped at 15sec. Unless I was on WiFi and the music would play fine.

Thanks to this thread, I’ve now deleted all the music - both qualities - and redownloaded everything at standard quality - music now plays fine with or without WiFi.

A real shame as I was loving the Lossless on my good cans.

Jun 16, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Jimborewski

Hi Jim,

I was having the same problem this morning. Apparently it is a problem with DRM and copyrights.

For me, the problem appeared only when I tried listening to downloaded music with data off for Apple Music. As soon as I turned it on, the music played without any issue. Turned it off again and the problem reappeared.

Has anyone found a permanent solution yet? This is getting annoying.

Downloaded lossless songs stop at 15 seconds every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.