Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2016 Imac Big Sur install - Now A dog!

According to apple my late 2016 iMac should work ok on the new OS Big Sur. Since upgrading the OS my computer is now a dog! It is so slow I am ready to throw a brick through it. I would have reinstalled my back up from time machine except I backed up over the top with the new version. Any hints on what could be the issue or how to fix. I think apples advice about upgrading a late 2016 iMac was very wrong.

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 6:29 AM

Notes:

• Adware - Adware detected. You have adware (malware). Use Malwarebytes for Mac (free) to remove.
  • Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection and Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection. PLEASE re-enable these!
  • Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed. Follow the EtreCheck prompts to remove orphan files.
  • Delete TotalAV. Instructions
  • You have lots of Internet Plug-Ins. These can cause issues.
  • Paragon Software should not be used.

Now, startup in Safe Mode, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support, login, and restart into normal mode. Test the speed, and generate a new EtreCheck report.

Cheers,

Jack

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 6:29 AM in response to drbdavid

Notes:

• Adware - Adware detected. You have adware (malware). Use Malwarebytes for Mac (free) to remove.
  • Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection and Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection. PLEASE re-enable these!
  • Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed. Follow the EtreCheck prompts to remove orphan files.
  • Delete TotalAV. Instructions
  • You have lots of Internet Plug-Ins. These can cause issues.
  • Paragon Software should not be used.

Now, startup in Safe Mode, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support, login, and restart into normal mode. Test the speed, and generate a new EtreCheck report.

Cheers,

Jack

Jun 11, 2021 5:05 PM in response to drbdavid

There is no late 2016 iMac. There are 2015 models and 2017 models.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Jun 20, 2021 12:23 PM in response to drbdavid

Notes from your EtreCheck report:

• TotalAV is still installed. Please delete according to the developer's instructions. [Instructions]
  • AppCleaner still appears to be installed. Please delete.

Now, startup in Safe Mode, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support, login, and restart into normal mode. Test the speed.

However, something appears to be amiss with your Fusion Drive;

Performance:

System Load: 2.14 (1 min ago) 1.71 (5 min ago) 1.53 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 59.91 MB/s

File system: 19.10 seconds

Write speed: 308 MB/s

Read speed: 650 MB/s

As Allan J. said earlier, these scores should be higher.

Please use DriveDx to get a report on the health of your drives. Then, upload the report here.

Also, please Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support, and let us know the Reference Code when done.

-Jack

Jun 14, 2021 10:32 AM in response to drbdavid

Sorry to be late the to party. Jack is doing a fine job.

In reviewing your drive config and its performance numbers, I see a serious issue with your Fusion drive:

Performance:

System Load: 1.29 (1 min ago) 2.05 (5 min ago) 2.17 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.13 MB/s

File system: 19.87 seconds

Write speed: 280 MB/s

Read speed: 708 MB/s

Those two numbers are far below what I expect to see a Fusion show for either metric. This is from an EtreCheck report produced by a 2015 iMac 27 5K with a Fusions drive, which was itself slower than many fusion drives:

Performance:

System Load: 0.92 (1 min ago) 1.71 (5 min ago) 1.27 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 10.20 MB/s

File system: 20.97 seconds

Write speed: 520 MB/s

Read speed: 2005 MB/s

The drive's hardware specs are roughly the same as yours.

Although I do not think this is your issue, it is good practice at this point to eliminate the possibility of a "split" Fusion drive, where the SSD part and the rotational part stop communicating via software:

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Once you remove the useless items Jack identifies, including "AppCleaner," please run a new test and post. I have see many posts here where unneeded AV and so-called 'cleaning" apps slowed drive performance. It is hard to tell from the first report if the fearware is masking the drive's true capabilities or problems.

EDIT: An incidental finding:

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flip4Mac WMV (? - installed 2013-03-30)

Paragon NTFS for Mac (Paragon Software GmbH - installed 2016-12-01)

Perian (? - installed 2011-07-24)

Both are older than your computer and likely moved by Migration Assistant (that is why I don't use MI) from an older computer. If you need these, update them to current; if not, dump them There is some evidence that outdated video software, plugs, and extensions can slow down Macs.

Jun 21, 2021 2:33 AM in response to drbdavid

Your hard drive is failing. Please backup all data ASAP!

You essentially have two options from here:

Option 1: Get the hard drive repaired. You can make an appointment at an Apple Store and get the hard drive repaired. If you go this route, make the Genius Bar appointment here: Get Support. However, Apple considers your Mac vintage, and Apple may or may not have the parts to fix it.

Option 2: Run macOS (and your data) from an external SSD: If you go this route, you run the operating system (macOS) and have your data on an external SSD connected to your iMac. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

-Jack

Jun 15, 2021 5:09 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi guys, thanks for all your help so far. I have taken out everything that I did not need and cleaned out Paragon which I think may have been causing some of the slow down, but there is still some issues with speed. Nowhere near what it use to be like prior to installing Big Sur. I will get rid of the old Migrated APPs and get back to you. I will also investigate the possible fusion drive issue.

I will repost a report then.

Jun 24, 2021 3:36 PM in response to Jack-19

Good morning, Well I have a story to tell. I decided to set up an external SSD drive, because I already had one that I was using as a back up disk. Went through the whole process and when finished found it to be slow as well. Hmmmm, what to do. So I decided to revert back to my internal drives, as I had not don't anything with them and they were still set up with the OS and my files. When I have switched back and booted from the original OS and drive, I now find i have got all my speed back. Go figure. I will run another report and post it here. If the drive still shows as failing I think given the age of this computer and the new iMac with he new silicon chip I think I will up grade.

My 2016 Imac Big Sur install - Now A dog!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.