Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime not working on MacBook Pro but iPad & iPhone work perfectly. 7 months and no solution. Basically just stare at MacBook while I pay for it.

I need help! I spent over 23 hours since Dec 23,2020 on techsuport calls, chats, remote screen share and have even given control of machine over the a tech support stranger. Luckily it is new so nothing is on it but contacts. My phone and iPad work great together. This MacBook does NOTHING!

Even when support is on the line talking me through "writing code in terminal mode" nothing is fixed after. I can FaceTime anyone I want from the MacBook Pro but I cannot receive anything. I have MacBook Pro, iPhone 8+ & iPad 4 mini. All 3 are updated to latest operating system, all are the same network, all have handoff turned on and all have bluetooth on and MacBook Pro shows connected to iPhone, Air Pods Pro & iPad in the bluetooth. HELP ME!!!! PLEASE. I am an 8 month COVID + SURVIVOR and I asked for this for Christmas bc all my Dr appts are Virtual on Zoom or FaceTime. I was going blind on phone.

I know it must be a setting somewhere but I have all 3 devices sitting side by side and am going thru them screen by screen. Nothing is working!! I would appreciate any help you can give me. I am just done with 6h47m on tech support call every time. the chats and screen share sessions are enough to drive you INSANE. I just hope someone out there somewhere has the answer to this problem!!

God Bless & Thank you for any help! Really, it would. be GREATLY appreciated.

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 12:26 AM

Hi Doda20917,

Welcome to the Apple Community, where some of us do our best to help each other :)

If using MacBook is fairly new to you, there may be things you are still learning about.

Am wondering why you can make Facetime calls but do not receive them.

(Guessing you'd know that FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.)

Wondering too, if your FaceTime callers have a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Seems FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi require a broadband connection.

Also, callers need to be not restricted by any set screen-time hours.

You might want to check you are allowing notifications to alert you when someone tries to make a FaceTime call to you:

• Click on the little Apple icon in the top menu bar, on the left and choose "System Preferences"
  • In the square window that opens, click the "Notifications" icon
  • From the apps in the left menu, scroll to FaceTime and click to highlight FaceTime
  • On the right, Allow notifications ,and select your preferences for notifications.

Also:

Apple support have a few articles online that may be helpful:

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203585

Check or Change preferences in the FaceTime App on Mac

(Eg: Make sure you definitely can be reached ok)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/fctm35545/mac

AND you might want to browse online through the:

Factime User Guide:

(You can click on "Table of Contents" to see what's available)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/welcome/mac

Eg:

When you are signed in and FaceTime is on:

Answering calls in FaceTime on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/fctm84b4b9d0/mac

Hope there is something here that helps you :)

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2021 12:26 AM in response to Doda2017

Hi Doda20917,

Welcome to the Apple Community, where some of us do our best to help each other :)

If using MacBook is fairly new to you, there may be things you are still learning about.

Am wondering why you can make Facetime calls but do not receive them.

(Guessing you'd know that FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.)

Wondering too, if your FaceTime callers have a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Seems FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi require a broadband connection.

Also, callers need to be not restricted by any set screen-time hours.

You might want to check you are allowing notifications to alert you when someone tries to make a FaceTime call to you:

• Click on the little Apple icon in the top menu bar, on the left and choose "System Preferences"
  • In the square window that opens, click the "Notifications" icon
  • From the apps in the left menu, scroll to FaceTime and click to highlight FaceTime
  • On the right, Allow notifications ,and select your preferences for notifications.

Also:

Apple support have a few articles online that may be helpful:

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203585

Check or Change preferences in the FaceTime App on Mac

(Eg: Make sure you definitely can be reached ok)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/fctm35545/mac

AND you might want to browse online through the:

Factime User Guide:

(You can click on "Table of Contents" to see what's available)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/welcome/mac

Eg:

When you are signed in and FaceTime is on:

Answering calls in FaceTime on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/fctm84b4b9d0/mac

Hope there is something here that helps you :)

Jul 11, 2021 4:14 PM in response to Doda2017

Thank you for your reply, Doda2017,

Discovered another workaround tip in one of the discussion threads:

MacBook Pro Camera isn’t working

Thread: MacBook Pro Camera isn’t working

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251186757

BenJam1990

Apr 10, 2020 5:00 AM in response to lauri112

"I, too, was having problems with my camera recently after it worked for me for the last 9 years.  I tried all the things mentioned above and then I tried a mixing a few of the information.  I went to Settings, then Privacy, clicked on the unlock button, then clicked on Accessibility and then at the bottom of the right hand column that says Let the Apps Below To Control Your Computer, there is a plus (+) sign.  I clicked that, which opens the Applications file.  Then I just clicked on Facebook, WebEx Teams, and Zoom. Clicked on the lock on the bottom lefthand corner and restarted the computer.  And that worked for me.  

Good luck to the rest of you, as I can completely sympathize with what you're going through."

Seems rougis tip has worked for some!

Cheers :) 

Jul 14, 2021 11:51 PM in response to Doda2017

Wow! You have been through a lot.

Glad to hear your are grateful for life.

Living in the moment sure does have it's benefits!

PS:

Fortunately we have control of allowing notifications, or not.

And guess you know:

Facetime notification: Banners go away automatically.

Alerts stay on screen unitl dismissed.

Jul 6, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Doda2017

We also spent 3 hours restoring MAC back to factory settings with a full fresh install. we checked all settings and they were correct. Cannot received incoming on MAC but phone & iPad are syncing perfectly each time. Apple is at a loss as am I. The main reason for MAC was Group Facetime so I could actually SEE people. I’m not allowed to use Zoon bc our version is not as secure as Facetime.

If can’t get this fixed, may have to move to Zoom Paid subscription. I am VERY worried about that!! Several data leaks from Zoom with local school system.

I need to backup with Time Machine but I can’t bc I’ll be backing up the problem!

Any good Macbook Pro “M1” chipset for Dummies books out there. I can’t read & print another Apple website link and I’ve spent 80+ hours watching YouTube videos. Any further advice, resources, help would be appreciated!!

Doda2017

Jul 6, 2021 4:32 PM in response to Doda2017

Sorry you are still drawing a blank despite all your efforts, Doda2017,

Wondering if it would help to check with Verizon.

Something that comes to mind is the Firewall on Mac:

Turned on: prevents unauthorised applications, programs, and services from accepting incoming connections.

Turned off: All incoming connections are allowed.

The on and off Firwall setting is reached via Apple icon > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Firewall

Jul 13, 2021 9:10 AM in response to brbo

I think My IssUE is being misunderstood. I can use Facetime on my Macbook Pro M1 chipset with Big Sur ONLY ON OUTGOING calls I initiate(capital letters for emphasis).

My issue is when Facetime rings on iPad & iPhone at same time, Macbook just sits their. I can send and add to group. I can’t receive or join a group. My camera resolution is terrible but that is probably a wifi issue.

Just wanted to clarify…My issue is exclusively FACETIME Incoming calls not working at all. Never rings. Just get missed phone call banner notification.

Thanks,

Doda2017

PS. learning a lot of good tips from discussions!!!

Jul 13, 2021 9:15 AM in response to Doda2017

I think My Issue is being misunderstood. I can use Facetime on my Macbook Pro M1 chipset with Big Sur ONLY ON OUTGOING calls I initiate(capital letters for emphasis).

My issue is when Facetime rings on iPad & iPhone at same time, Macbook just sits their. I can send and add to group. I can’t receive or join a group. My camera resolution is terrible but that is probably a wifi issue.

Just wanted to clarify…My issue is exclusively FACETIME Incoming calls not working at all. Never rings. Just get missed phone call banner notification.

Thanks,

Doda2017

PS. learning a lot of good tips from discussions!!!

Jul 14, 2021 2:23 AM in response to Doda2017

Thank you for the clarification, Doda2017,

Am thinking that incoming FaceTime calls make it to your Mac, because you get the "missed call" notifications.

This may be a rather simple suggestion, as you have already checked settings etc., but there must be a cause for the problem.

It may be worth double-checking that a suitable ringtone for incoming FaceTime calls is selected,

and

also testing that the volume is audible by changing the ringtone to another, (and back again if you wish).

brbo

Jul 14, 2021 9:47 PM in response to brbo

Ringtone default and Facetime screen for incoming call never comes up. I’m so frustrated. I will have it paid off in 2 months and have never used it. Apple has no answer and we reformatted and restored the Harddrive twice now. I’m so frustrated and I’m past the 90 days. Apple “isn’t allowed” to call out while I’m on phone & sharing screen & they keep telling me to call myself. Who these days has a landline. I got my iPhone and when I call myself I get and “X” & “Caller Busy”.

I’m not calling friends at work and bothering them to call me on Facetime & try to troubleshoot. I mean Seriously.

I have tried every suggestion. I have an iPhone 8+, iPad 4mini both up to date on OS 14.6 And Mac says it has latest version of BIG Sur. Someone said Buy an I phone 12 pro Max. If the old iPad 4mini works and it is older than my phone, I don’t see why I need a new phone. Thanks for working so hard to help me. It is VERY MUCH appreciated. BTW, Verizon said it has nothing to do with them I’m not using their internet and bot devices I have with them are working fine so it is most certainly an APPLE issue.

I’m going to call it a day. Thanks brbo

Jul 14, 2021 11:24 PM in response to brbo

One would think that to be the case. All three signed just alike bc done side by side on all three machines then had my husband Facetime me. Phone & iPad worked perfectly. Mackbook showed no Facetime incoming call and with in a minute I got a temporary banner notification of a missed Facetime call. I went into missed call and hit dialer in Facetime and my husband picked up right away. It is a mystery! I can call out but only receive missed notifications while my Phone & iPad work perfectly. After Labor Day super spreader events, I may make the 3 hour drive to Apple store.

I’m vaccinated but serum tests show no antibodies so I’m like day 479 in house. I had COVID for 8 months and believe me when you cant breathe and they are making end of life decisions for you; little things like FaceTime not working on your computer are frustrating but I’m HAPPY to be here to get Frustrated! Life is taken for granted and tomorrow is not promised. One day at a time, no more FOMO, very small, intimate group of friends and a good book and a hot cup of tea make for a very relaxing day. That and a nap or two😉.

Doda2017

Facetime not working on MacBook Pro but iPad & iPhone work perfectly. 7 months and no solution. Basically just stare at MacBook while I pay for it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.