Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing sequential images into timeline in Motion 5.4.3 Not working

Hello,

I saw a post from a couple years ago about this topic but there was no solution given. When importing sequential images into the timeline I do not get the "sequential" option on the drop down menu. All I get is Overwrite, Composite, or Insert. None of those options work for setting up sequential images on the timeline. I can insert the images individually but that's a lot of work. I'm following the tutorial in the Apple Pro Training Series, Motion 5 by Mark Spencer. Can someone help me figure this out?

thanks, Dennis

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 6:14 PM

The Image and additional descriptions are helpful to understanding what is going on.

First the Preference in Motion is not for image sequences it is for individual still image import. Image sequences always treated like a movie broken up into its individual frames so that preference does not apply. You use the Media tab to control the frame rate after you import.

Now for the timing, if you import 12 frames as an image sequence, Motion treats it like a 12 frame movie clip based on the frame rate you select on import or in the Media Tab for the sequence, this is standard for image sequences in any application. If you want a short sequence to be longer, you need to adjust the Timing in the layer (Properties>Timing). You could change the speed, but this will display each frame longer and create stuttering. Or you can change the End Condition to "Loop" or Ping-Pong and then drag out the end of the image sequence in the timeline.

From your image, it looks like you have an import starting with "vid_pix_004.jpg" and all we can see is up to "vid_pix_014.jpg"

If you are getting the Sequential option, this indicates that you do not have a full sequence, like you may have selected an image we can't see that does not fit the sequence. Sequences can't have breaks. Make sure the file names are sequential.

So in summary

• Make sure the numbers names are sequential (file_001.jpg, file_002.jpg, file_003.jpeg, etc.)
  • Make sure there are no breaks in the numbering or inconstancies in the file naming
  • If you are using a short number of frames, adjust the frame rate or timing to adjust the length in the project.

I think it would be useful for you to take time to review these parts fo the documentation

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/import-media-motn38c97503/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/drag-to-the-timeline-track-area-motn130ad3fa/mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/source-media-controls-motnd8bd71de/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/timing-controls-motnc0177d04/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 6:14 PM in response to Denl10

The Image and additional descriptions are helpful to understanding what is going on.

First the Preference in Motion is not for image sequences it is for individual still image import. Image sequences always treated like a movie broken up into its individual frames so that preference does not apply. You use the Media tab to control the frame rate after you import.

Now for the timing, if you import 12 frames as an image sequence, Motion treats it like a 12 frame movie clip based on the frame rate you select on import or in the Media Tab for the sequence, this is standard for image sequences in any application. If you want a short sequence to be longer, you need to adjust the Timing in the layer (Properties>Timing). You could change the speed, but this will display each frame longer and create stuttering. Or you can change the End Condition to "Loop" or Ping-Pong and then drag out the end of the image sequence in the timeline.

From your image, it looks like you have an import starting with "vid_pix_004.jpg" and all we can see is up to "vid_pix_014.jpg"

If you are getting the Sequential option, this indicates that you do not have a full sequence, like you may have selected an image we can't see that does not fit the sequence. Sequences can't have breaks. Make sure the file names are sequential.

So in summary

• Make sure the numbers names are sequential (file_001.jpg, file_002.jpg, file_003.jpeg, etc.)
  • Make sure there are no breaks in the numbering or inconstancies in the file naming
  • If you are using a short number of frames, adjust the frame rate or timing to adjust the length in the project.

I think it would be useful for you to take time to review these parts fo the documentation

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/import-media-motn38c97503/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/drag-to-the-timeline-track-area-motn130ad3fa/mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/source-media-controls-motnd8bd71de/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/timing-controls-motnc0177d04/5.5.2/mac/10.15.6

Aug 14, 2021 1:21 AM in response to Denl10

Motion has had this feature since at least version 2.1 (when I started using it).

If you use Import for a sequence, the sequential images have to be in a directory/folder. They can be any name but they all have to have a numerical sequential set of numbers at the end of the name and before the extension. It *helps* to lead in with an underscore character. I think the minimum amount of numbers to use is two and as many as you need, with leading zeros to accommodate the entire sequence. If you're sequence contains over 10000 images, then you need at least 5 digit characters [e.g., myImageSet_00001.jpg, myImageSet_00002.jpg, etc.]

Sequences need to be the same file type (jpg, png, tiff, anything Motion accepts). Images do NOT need to be all the same size. Sequences only need to have sequential numbers in their file name, but they don't have to start with zero or one. Sequence numbers need to be contiguous... no breaks. If you have 10 jpg and 14 png but the same number "scheme", you can import the jpgs and the pngs as separate sequences (and put them together* in the timeline in Motion). [*You'll need to group them and clone the group.]

Once you have your images set up, then you can import the sequence in Motion.

When you import via the Import button, you *select* the first image in the sequence. At that point, the Import dialog will change to add the following options:

Select Image Sequence then Import.

The Sequence will appear in the Layers List as ImgSequenceName_[####].

When it opens in Motion, ALL the images are aligned to their centers at center screen. If they're all the same size, then it will look like only a single image. However, if you move the playhead over the range, you will see each individual frame has it's own single image, just like video.

There's another way to import an image sequence: Select ALL the images in the sequence in the Finder. Drag the selection to the canvas or the Layers List in Motion and hold the mouse still for a moment. You will be offered a popup menu with the choice to import all the images as a Sequence, or as individual images ("stills"):

[Note: your images do not need to be named "ImgSeq_####.jpg" -- I use a small app ("droplet") that I can drop a folder of images on and they all get renamed in order this way. Since I have very little imagination, I usually just use the default name option.

What part of what you have does not match what I've just described? That's probably where the problem lies and if we can sort that out we can help you better solve your problem.

Aug 14, 2021 9:20 AM in response to fox_m

One more suggestion to check, make sure your naming system doesn't include any "illegal" characters in the file naming. Avoid symbols (#,!,%,%, etc.) in the naming. As others have pointed out, the best practice for file names in image sequences is something like, "myFileName_0001.<extension>". I personally prefer to make sure there is always an underscore because it makes it easier to read. If this is your problem, you can use Automator on your computer to quickly clean-up naming issues.

Here's an example of an Automator script I used to remove [####] from an image sequence. Automator is great for things like this, and it's on your computer already.

The Ask for Finder Items brick will point to the directory, make sure to allow multiple selection or you will have to run this for each image.

In the Replace Finder Items: Replace Text brick, set "Find" to the string you want to remove or change. If you leave Replace empty it will remove the string, or you can replace it with something else if you need it. I'd recommend doing this with a copy of your files in case something goes wrong. You don't want to have to manually rename hundreds of images.

Aug 14, 2021 3:23 PM in response to Denl10

You're working too hard. Import your sequence. Clone it. Retime the Clone.

1) Import your sequence into a group by itself.

2) Clone the Group

3) turn off the Group visibility

4) Go to Clone Layer > Properties > Timing (and "Show"*). Change the Speed to a lower percentage - enough to make each frame play for the amount of time you need.

(Use the Speed control - not the In/Out/Duration controls — those will readjust as you change the speed.)

To get that drag/drop popup menu, you need to select all the images in the sequence you want to import in the finder, then drag them into Motion — either over the Canvas or over the Layers List column. You need to hold the mouse still (with the left button held down) for a few seconds. At that point, Motion will present that option menu to import your selection. (The same is true if you drag in a Photoshop PSD file — you can import PS layers as individual Motion layers with this method).

[*The Timing pane is usually closed by default these days... Mouse over the Timing "bar" and you will see "Show" appear on the right edge of the column - click that to reveal the contents of the pane]

Aug 12, 2021 10:19 PM in response to Denl10

The files have to be named specifically to be recognized as an image sequence. Something like:

ImageName_0001.jpg

ImageName_0002.jpg

etc...

I think you can create Image Sequences with Photoshop and other similar types of software. It can be a very tedious task especially if you have dozens of photos to sequence.

You might want to consider this (if the moderators allow it):

https://fcpxtemplates.com/create-image-sequence/

You can simply drop your folder of images onto the applet and it will convert them all into a properly named sequence (be sure to back up your originals before doing so as this applet will modify the files dropped on it).

Aug 13, 2021 2:26 AM in response to Denl10

As a little addition to what Fox said:

I believe the numerals need to be at leadt three digits long, eg

file01, file02… may not work but file001, file002 will.

Also, import using the Import button or the menu; do not just drag to the timeline.

If you want to convert the images to a movie, use Quicktime Player. File->Open Image Sequence. This feature was present in old Quicktime 7, and although missing for some time, it has returned to the current Quicktime Player some iterations ago. [I believe Fox is still on Mojave and that is probably why his Quicktime Player doesn’t have this feature]

Aug 13, 2021 9:52 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This is not going well. I've followed the suggestions and still cannot import a sequence of images and have them automatically populate the timeline in Motion 5.4.3. Supposedly I can do this but dragging the sequence of images from the import window into the timeline where a dropdown menu opens where I chose either Composite or Sequential. But when I do this the dropdown menu opens with the choices Composite, Insert, and Overwrite. I've tried everything I can think of. Is it possible that Motion 5.4.3 doesn't have this feature?

Aug 14, 2021 1:45 PM in response to GFXZen

I really appreciate your help. Your Import suggestions work. The only problem I have is when the 12 images appear on the timeline they are only 12 frames in duration. From there I had to set In and Out points for those 12 frames and Option drag them to get the desired length, which in this case is 1 second for each image or 12 seconds for the whole sequence. In Motion Preferences I have Layers/Images set to custom of 1.0 seconds. I've tried other durations with no effect. When I Import 4 images by checking the Image Sequence box and then Import the clip, on the timeline the sequence is only 4 frames long. If I specify in the Preferences each image to be 1.0 seconds in duration I would think each image in the sequence would be 1.0 seconds in duration and the entire sequence would be 1.0 second time the number of images. I still feel like I'm missing something here. Please don't give up on me.

Aug 14, 2021 4:52 PM in response to fox_m

Fox_m,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Something is not adding up. I get the Option Menu when I hold the mouse still over either the Canvas, Layers List, or the Timeline, but none of the options are Sequential, only Import Image Sequence, which is not the same as Sequential, or Import Stills. In the picture I referenced above the Sequential option imports the images as separate files and places them sequentially as separate images on the timeline one after the other so effects and behaviors can be individually applied. I'm starting to think the Sequential option does not exist in Motion any more. I keep trying it over and over with different key combinations to get that Sequential option but it doesn't work. Maybe that's a sign of insanity on my part, trying the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome. Thanks for your help. If I figure it I will let you know.

Dennis

Aug 17, 2021 8:29 PM in response to GFXZen

Fox_M,

After studying your reply a few times I realized where you said,

"If you are getting the Sequential option, this indicates that you do not have a full sequence, like you may have selected an image we can't see that does not fit the sequence."

What I'm looking for is how to get the Sequential option. If I number my image files file_001, file_004, file_007 and so forth I get the Sequential option. Now I know how to do it.

Thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Dennis

Importing sequential images into timeline in Motion 5.4.3 Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.