Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest update messed up iTunes Player

My iTunes was working fine until the latest update. Since then, every time I try to watch a show or movie, the player has full grid of small green squares with a clear diagonal slash across it. iTunes is the only place where this is happening. Anytime I watch something on Netflix, etc, the screen is fine. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling iTunes a couple of times, but the problem remains. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you!

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 8:42 PM

What worked for me was uninstalling iTunes, Bonjour, and the other Apple stuff, rebooting, then installing the 12.10.11.2 version from https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes and now everything plays fine. Just make sure to turn off the auto update stuff until this problem has been confirmed to be fixed in future releases.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 31, 2021 8:07 AM in response to C_K_L

I suggest you go back a build.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Sep 1, 2021 11:13 AM in response to C_K_L

The exact same thing happened to me (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253097767) and as others have answered, I went to a previous version and everything is fine.

Do you mind telling me the make and model of your computer? I'll see if I can narrow down the cause of the problem a bit. I have a Dell Inspiron 13-7359.

If you do not know the model of you computer just go to Settings > System > About (at the bottom of column on the left hand side). It will be near the top of that page under the heading "Device Specifications"

You can also get to the same location by pressing the Windows key and then start typing About your PC and it will take you to the same location.

Sep 25, 2021 11:45 AM in response to gldoorii

I just tested it now and iTunes still works for me with the old version (12.10.11.2). I have a Dell Inspiron 13-7359 running Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1237.

When I went back to the old version, initially I did not remove all the other Apple programs like Bonjour and it worked. But just to be safe, I later did a clean reinstall as described in this Apple document https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

If it just stopped working on the old version, I cannot help but think that some other component on your system (not an iTunes component) got updated automatically.

Sep 24, 2021 8:18 AM in response to unsolved-iTunes-issues

I have a Lenovo ideapad Y700 Touch-15ISK.

Everything was playing fine after downgrading to 12.11.10, but recently all videos stopped working again and only show a black screen regardless of streaming or downloading. I installed the most recent version of iTunes and the video issue is back again. I tried the regular install as well as through the Microsoft store and neither worked. So, I'm back to not being able to watch anything I've purchased.

Latest update messed up iTunes Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.