Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes cannot run after tonight's update to 12.12.0.6

iTunes for windows latest version seems to be broken. I suspected a new version might be available due to all the other updates this evening. Updated via Apple software update to latest 12.12.0.6 on all our fully updated windows machines. Now iTunes will not open on any of our machines with ‘iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes’ message. I have tried reinstalling iTunes on all of them by downloading from the Apple links and the same problem exists. This must be a widespread problem? I wonder anyone has the same issue and is able to somehow work around it to get iTunes up and running again. Sadly every single one of our windows machines now has the same problem

cheers,

Wayne

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 9:12 AM

Same shame on me:

Hello,

I am having the same issue and neither restoring nor uninstaling nor repairing is fixing the issue. I had to install the previous version to keep it functioning.

Please fix the latest version 12.12.06 to a new one that works.

Workaround: by just uninstalling all Apple stuff from Windows Uninstall Menu, deleting Apple folders from, then installing the previous version (music and stuff won't be deleted in this procedure).

Hope it helps in the meanwhile!

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Scottyboy99

Same shame on me:

Hello,

I am having the same issue and neither restoring nor uninstaling nor repairing is fixing the issue. I had to install the previous version to keep it functioning.

Please fix the latest version 12.12.06 to a new one that works.

Workaround: by just uninstalling all Apple stuff from Windows Uninstall Menu, deleting Apple folders from, then installing the previous version (music and stuff won't be deleted in this procedure).

Hope it helps in the meanwhile!

Sep 20, 2021 2:39 PM in response to Scottyboy99

I was able to install an older version of iTunes from Apple website, obviously you need to uninstall everything Apple-related from the control panel (simply open the 'uninstall a program' section from your pc and type Apple in the search bar, there should be 5/6 programs). After that open this page https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1816?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US and download the iTunes installer. It might say that a certain file can't be opened due to it's creation on a newer version of iTunes, i simply deleted it, it worked for me. Then iTunes should just launch on an older version, it might ask you to update to a newer version, just say NO. There you have it, keep it like this until a further update from Apple. I hope this helps you. :)

Sep 20, 2021 3:33 PM in response to aegordon13

aegordon13 wrote:

Does that mean itunes no longer supports Windows 7,

Correct. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, so Apple are not going to put much effort into a version of iTunes exclusively for windows 7.

As for your question about iOS 15, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for you, but it won't be long before something trips you up. For example, even if your current phone can be used with the version of iTunes that you have, what happens when you replace the phone with a newer model? Perhaps you need to examine the long term implications of all this.

Sep 20, 2021 4:02 PM in response to tomi128

Thanks for feeding back. It’s totally hosed up. Luca has kindly offered a workaround but I am sure to be able to sync the new hardware (not that I have any of that) you need the newest version. So Apple needs to pull its finger out. Unfortunately their support on twitter is kind of ignoring the issue and reading off a script. Uninstall everything, reinstall everything. Just generally waste lots of time and then same end result. It’s simple to me, Apple needs to push a new version down the pipe asap

Sep 21, 2021 3:36 PM in response to airton65

airton65 wrote:

guys the apple software update server is not working right now here in my windows 10

maybe they are fixing this itunes version

can somebody check if this is happening only here?

I already have yesterday's updated iTunes (no problems on my end since I use en-US), and external Apple Software Update app works fine in my updated 64-bit W10 Pro PC.

itunes cannot run after tonight's update to 12.12.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.