Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain in WatchOS 8 on Apple Watch 6

I installed WatchOS 8 on my Apple Watch Series 6 on Monday night. The battery is draining super quick now. For example in drained 20% while going out to dinner and back over 1.5 hours.

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 1:35 PM

Appreciate the feedback. Took a first step of unpairing and repairing the watch to start. So far seems to have helped. Real test will be overnight and thru the day tomorrow. Typically i charge it before bed and then use til I sit down at night and charge while watching TV prior to bed. Never had an issue in the past with the battery lasting.

200 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 1:35 PM in response to javaliga

Appreciate the feedback. Took a first step of unpairing and repairing the watch to start. So far seems to have helped. Real test will be overnight and thru the day tomorrow. Typically i charge it before bed and then use til I sit down at night and charge while watching TV prior to bed. Never had an issue in the past with the battery lasting.

Sep 27, 2021 12:29 PM in response to ClemsonSig90

Same here. I have the Apple Watch 6 Before I could keep the display always on and still have battery at 11pm.

Now it’s over 1/2 drained by noon and I put the display back to display off.

I tried to do what was suggested and using a previous backup. It got worse.

I just did it again but set it up as a new watch. Will see what happens.

This is rather frustrating and Apple isn’t addressing this issue after several updates.

Sep 22, 2021 10:10 AM in response to ClemsonSig90

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Dec 10, 2021 11:01 PM in response to bem69

Ok I’m not sure what happened, since I haven’t updated any iOS or watchOS but the battery has been back to what it was (graph as per attached). Apps that got auto-updated yesterday was Truecaller, Slack, Soundhound, Messenger & Carousell. Hope this info helps.

I didn’t do any resetting, nor unpairing/pairing it to my iPhone

Dec 23, 2021 5:30 AM in response to jenniferfromolathe

But this started already on my watch 4, under OS 7-something, which had no continuous monitoring of blood oxygen (and the model doesn't have this feature). Also the battery was in pretty good shape for a 3-year old watch (I'm trying to remember, but at the Apple Store it was ruled out from the beginning). I made no changes to what was monitored before it started. To make sure, I even deleted all gym apps to really rule out their interference and I didn't even install them back.

Also, it doesn't explain why the problem migrated to the NEW watch 7 (factory reseted, not restored from back up), with shiny new battery. Even worse, why only 2 days ago if I've had the watch for over a month now?

I basically have what I've had since ages: regular heartbeat, detect when I'm doing a workout if I forget to start one, GPS. All these things worked perfectly fine on the old watch series 4 until mid-2021. Batteries don't go kaputt overnight.

Anyway, I've set up the newly restored watch (again) to reduce a lot of battery consumption, even if it means reducing things I never had to and it's already down to 92% after a full charge 4:30h ago. That's not how it worked until a few days ago.

Dec 23, 2021 1:19 PM in response to jKat23

I had the same problem that everyone has here.

I've tried to un pair and pair again but it didn't solve the issue.

So I tried to investigate what was the issue and I noticed that the watch is continuously polling the Iphone for the localization.

I've blocked the permission to use the localization in the privacy setting of the Iphone and now the duration of the battery is back to normal, as it was before the last update.

I hope that is help everyone who has the same problem.

Here what I set.

Mar 11, 2022 2:15 PM in response to ClemsonSig90

Same issue with Series 5 after Watch OS8. I’ve unpaired, erased and reset it 3 times but it makes no difference. Battery lasted to midnight even with daily heavy workout usage before OS8; next day after update and ever since it only makes it to mid afternoon, with absolutely linear drop regardless of the usage, so it must be OS-caused rather than usage. Battery health still 83%. Online Apple Support said it was a mystery and I should take it to an Apple Shop. Took it to Apple Shop Genius Bar where they said it was a mystery and too young a watch for that, but my only option was to buy a new one. Deeply disappointing and frustrating. Before OS8 it was fantastic and totally reliable. Afterwards virtually useless. Any help appreciated.

Sep 29, 2021 8:17 AM in response to ClemsonSig90

My watch series 3 is now draining after os8 update, too! I’m suddenly only getting 10 hours of daily battery life with a battery health of 85%. I’ve done unpair repair and restored from backup with no improvement. I also noticed every possible watch app was installed on my watch (about 50 apps) and i’ve never installed all those. These installs either occurred automatically during updates or when I got my new iphone 12. So I uninstalled all but 7 watch apps. With background refresh on, I was sure this was the culprit to draining battery. However, nothing has improved this brand new battery drain issue. This is an OS issue that needs fixed.

Oct 1, 2021 5:12 AM in response to TaffySam

I trued to unpair and restore for 2 times the battery working well in the first day to going to the same problem and quickly battery down to very quick like first day after update but not as normal before update I think  have to quickly update the software to cover this big problem and sure i can use my watch for 3 hours only every day and contenting it to charger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 1, 2021 5:54 AM in response to Mohamedsamir1

I agree. Apple support only helped by walking me through a full reset and installing the watch as a new one. It seemed to work better the first day after that, but now the draining is happening again. I noticed it drained after I used the workout app on the third time in a day. I only use the workout app for 40 minutes each time so three times should not drain it. This is DEFINITELY an IOS issue. I am confident it will be corrected in a patch release. The support person did say there is no known issue, but now that I called, it is now on their record as an issue. These Forum threads are only conversations and do not become documented issues unless people call in and work with Apple.

Oct 3, 2021 6:16 AM in response to ClemsonSig90

I was about to try the suggestions, but did not get around to it. After about 5 days or so of the short battery, it fixed itself. Two days now of normal battery life without resetting anything.

I seem to remember other apple updates to things that consumed batteries for the first few days as well. maybe they should put that as a note on updates?

Battery drain in WatchOS 8 on Apple Watch 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.