Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 15 - Mail being marked as read before being opened

Hi all,

Currently using IOS 15 on an IPhone 12 Pro and since updating have noticed that my emails are being marked as read when my mail app opens. This is really annoying as I use the notification of an unread email as reminders to complete the associated task - this has only been happening since the update.

thanks

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 1:05 PM

Hi there Chllama,

We understand emails are being marked as read in the Mail app on your iPhone before you've actually read them. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

Is this happening with one specific type of email account or are you seeing this behavior with multiple accounts? How are you accessing the Mail app on your iPhone? For example, are you opening it from your Home Screen directly or tapping on a notification?

Next, try updating to iOS 15.0.1 to see if that helps. If needed, learn more about updating your iPhone here:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Send over these details, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Cheers.

129 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 1:05 PM in response to Chllama

Hi there Chllama,

We understand emails are being marked as read in the Mail app on your iPhone before you've actually read them. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

Is this happening with one specific type of email account or are you seeing this behavior with multiple accounts? How are you accessing the Mail app on your iPhone? For example, are you opening it from your Home Screen directly or tapping on a notification?

Next, try updating to iOS 15.0.1 to see if that helps. If needed, learn more about updating your iPhone here:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Send over these details, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Cheers.

Oct 20, 2021 8:13 PM in response to funnyname

Like just about every large company Apple has both formal technical support and an area where users can discuss technical issues with other users. And, like all of those other companies, Apple does not participate in any significant way in the user-to-user discussions, as that might inhibit the free flow of ideas. The formal name of this area is Apple Support Communities. The “Communities” should be a giveaway that this isn’t a formal support site. And if that doesn’t, the site itself is https://discussions.apple.com. The “discussions” is another giveaway.

Apple’s formal support can be reached several ways:

Note that both of the above have options to receive a callback or chat

Oct 3, 2021 8:49 PM in response to Sparks0829

The same issue is happening to me. I’ve already upgraded to iOS 15.0.1 and there’s no difference. Some mail messages are being marked as read without being opened. It’s usually the first unread email at the top of my “unread” mailbox. It just happens when I open the mail app, nothing notification related. (I understand that tapping a Mail notification takes me into the message, thus being marked as opened. This is NOT the case here.)

This is quite annoying as it’s causing me to miss important work related emails which is not something acceptable to me. Especially since I manually mark as unread again, and then it marks itself as read again later when I get back into the app.

The mail account it’s happening to is a Microsoft work account that was set up to sync mail, calendar, etc.

Oct 15, 2021 8:42 AM in response to martyjfox_

martyjfox_ wrote:

please fix this asap since i've lost track of important things and invoices because of this!

Who are you asking to fix it? Certainly none of the other users in this user-to-user forum where Apple doesn’t participate. Use the Get Support link at the top of this page if you want Apple to do something about it, or report the issue at https://apple.com/feedback.

Nov 10, 2021 6:39 AM in response to kikesiphone

kikesiphone wrote:

This is a very annoying issue that needs to be fixed by Apple as soon as possible.

Then why don’t you tell Apple, instead of the other users in this user-to-user only forum? If you want any action from Apple you have to tell Apple. The Get Support link at the top of this page is one way to do it, if you want personalized service, or https://apple.com/feedback if you just want to make a general statement.

Oct 6, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Sparks0829

I don't understand how this is marked as solved? I don't see a solution and am experiencing the same issue with iOS 15 and iOS 15.0.1

Mail accounts types I have:

1. Google Business
  2. Office365 (2 of them)

I don't see a pattern with a certain type of account exhibiting the "marked as read, without opening the email" I've opened an unread email, not the first in the list, and when clicking the upper left to go back to the inbox, I see the first email in the inbox get marked as read without ever opening it.

Oct 20, 2021 6:54 PM in response to Sparks0829

Still an issue on iOS 15.0.2

• 6 email accounts, mostly gmail, one yahoo
  • Default view is Unread
  • Emails not open on any other computer
  • I can watch them all load, and right before my eyes the top one normally marks itself as read
  • I’m almost always in low power mode
  • I routinely quit apps from the multitask screen (someone mentioned that), but the emails mark themselves as read while the app is open

This should not be marked resolved when literally no resolution was given besides to try updating the software.

This is unfortunately why I usually wait several months for major upgrades, because I don’t have the patience to be a beta tester.

Oct 20, 2021 7:09 PM in response to funnyname

• I explained in a previous message why the thread was marked as solved. That is completely up to the user who posted the first message in the thread.
  • It won’t do you any harm to NOT routinely quit apps from the multitasking screen as a test, and by not quitting apps you will make your phone faster and improve battery life, as explained in my earlier post on the subject.

Oct 5, 2021 11:51 PM in response to Dave7NY

It happens to me too. I have multiple accounts synced, mainly Gmail private and business accounts. I always have the unread emails filter on.

When I refresh the mail app by pulling down the screen, sometimes unread mails are marked as read. Even though I have not touched them.

This is very risky for me because I use unread emails as reminders. Especially my customer emails. I'm on iOS15.0 with an iPhone 13 Pro.

Oct 10, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, no this is not the issue and your response is not very helpful. All the people above (including myself) are suddenly having the issue since updating to iOS 15. It’s not logical that all of us have suddenly started reading emails somewhere else and don’t realize it? Come on now. This is not a user error or user induced issue. It is a software issue with Apple’s mail app in iOS 15. This issue did not exist before and it suddenly exists simultaneously for all the people who reported it here and in other threads. Whoever has the power, please unmark this issue as resolved and work towards a resolution. Thank you.

IOS 15 - Mail being marked as read before being opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.