Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage says zero KB used

The built-in storage space display refuses to detect how much space is being used on my iPhone. It consistently says that 0 KB of space is being used, when the real number is obviously much higher. It won't recognize certain apps as having Documents & Data, even though some of them have several GB. Is there any way to reset this and get it to display an accurate number?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:46 PM

Same issue here for latest iphone SE and for ipad mini 5. Settings/ general/ about show capacity of 64 GB, and 74.38 available. So far this does not interfere with my use of either device, but eventually the false information is bound to interfere with some function. In chat with Apple support last week I was told the engineers were working on it. I am ready for an update. All my searches for this problem on the web lead to items on false report of 0 storage available. This is the opposite.

154 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Jlw111

Same issue here for latest iphone SE and for ipad mini 5. Settings/ general/ about show capacity of 64 GB, and 74.38 available. So far this does not interfere with my use of either device, but eventually the false information is bound to interfere with some function. In chat with Apple support last week I was told the engineers were working on it. I am ready for an update. All my searches for this problem on the web lead to items on false report of 0 storage available. This is the opposite.

Nov 12, 2021 6:46 AM in response to lobsterghost1

And I'll say this. You have absolute no evidence that the vast majority of users have had this solved by iOS 15.1 and putting it in shouty CAPITALS doesn’t make it so. Daily, we see no new posts because people have read these posts, including mine, and know it isn’t solved for many of us even with a device reboot and a full backup & restore cycle.

And I’ll say again, you should not be spreading false information on a user forum whether or not Apple participates.

Nov 3, 2021 6:26 AM in response to abline11

Doesn't matter to any of us here what phone platform you choose. It is odd that you are the only person I've see who is still have this reporting issue. There are at least 10 iPhone's in my small office. Every single one was fixed with iOS 15.1.

What I would do if I were you then, would be backup then restore.

Choose the method best suited to your needs:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2021 10:53 AM in response to abline11

Everyone I personally know who was experiencing this - friends and co-workers - and every demo phone in an Apple Store - has had this issue fixed by installing iOS 15.1.

However it is not explicitly mentioned as a resolved issue in the iOS 15.1 release notes:

About iOS 15 Updates - Apple Support

If you are still experiencing this issue, notify Apple Support:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Oct 22, 2021 1:29 AM in response to Jlw111

I too have this storage mis-reporting issue on my iPhone 6S (in my case showing 0 GB of 128 GB used). Also, when i sync to my Mac mini, the colour bar in finder displays my iPhone is full, including 46.03 GB 'other'; the phone works fine so it is clearly not full; no doubt an annoying bug Apple should have found during testing prior to release but for some reason did not.

for any apple engineers, i tried the 'microsoft' option of rebooting, to no avail; data i have includes

on the phone

• iOS 15.0.2
  • iPhone 6s MKQU2B/A
  • under 'about': capacity 128 GB, Available 133.62 GB
  • under 'iPhone storage': zero KB of 128 KB used; but rest of this page shows various storage details of music, photos etc. in volumes that seem correct

on finder

• iPhone 6s 121.12 GB (134.9GB available)

hope this helps :-)

Nov 12, 2021 5:37 PM in response to Jlw111

I had same issue since upgrading to new iphone 13. I did call Apple last week.

the rep checked with the techies.

their only 2 suggestions:

1. update to iOS 15.1
  2. if that doesnt work, restore phone.

after updating to 15.1, still said Zero storage. Thank goodness I was too tired to restore at the time. Because next day, phone showed 70+ GB storage !

good luck to y’all.

Oct 23, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Originaldiode

He was replying to me. As a workaround you can plug your device to a PC with iTunes or your Mac and will show your device’s storage.They do QA testing, it’s that everyone uses their devices differently. Have you ever written code? Fixing one thing breaks another. If you can suggest anything to them they’ll listen. Otherwise wait for the next update or see if restoring as new will fix it then restore from your backup. As long as you can still make calls, receive messages, it’s not a huge issue. It’s not like it broke WiFi or anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.