Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 10.6 macOS Monterey SLOW & NOT RESPONDING!

Just updated to macOS Moneterey and FCP 10.6 yesterday. Tried using FCP with it today but the loading screen is super super super super slow!!!!!!

I'm connecting a Sandisk Extreme Pro directly to it.

I'm also using a MBP 16: 2019.

Does anybody else face this problem?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:29 AM

61 replies

Nov 10, 2021 8:53 AM in response to martinr6

@martinr6 you are close to what I think is the main issue. I moved my 4tb NVMe external ssd from a USB hub (thunderbolt 3) to directly plugged into my M1 Mac mini (I have the M1 MacBook Pro as well) and it worked MUCH better.

There are still some slowdowns with loading libraries, but the issue went down by 75% (in terms of loading times and crashes). I think having libraries on your internal ssd does help, but what I think was the main issue for me was having the footage on a drive that was connected to a usb3/tb3 hub.

So if you're still struggling maybe try these two fixes:

• Host your FCP libraries on your internal drive
  • If you footage is not on your internal drive, put it on an external drive that is NOT plugged into a usb3/tb3 hub.

Nov 4, 2021 3:39 AM in response to joelchee

Same here. MBP M1 16gb 1TB that used to run fast and smooth. I updated to the new FCP and everything was as fine as before but since I updated to Monterey I am struggling with the same problems as people describe here. And with many deadlines coming this week…

Hope it’s solved soon, some could think that now we have to upgrade to a PRO or Max to keep editing as we used…

Nov 8, 2021 12:42 AM in response to joelchee

I just had a call with Apple this morning and David(the guy over the phone) said that it could be some third party plugins that may be causing this. We were sharing screens, we tried turning off Tuxera but still no avail and we still couldn't pin point the exact problem. The only solution to this problem is if you have Time Machine(a backup of your previous OS or your entire Mac) and roll it back to Big Sur. If not, we will have to bear with this slow loading time.

Not sure is it because of third party plugins. I have MInstaller and Addmotion on, i use those plugins frequently, so i can't delete them. 😅

Nov 8, 2021 12:50 AM in response to joelchee

Same with me. I have Minstaller and Addmotion on. I realized recent libraries (only a few projects) loading time is ok.

And very intriguing an older (from last year) library with 74 gb loaded comparatively fast (10 Minutes) compared to a more recent lib with 5 gb (18 min). Maybe its true with the plugins because last year I did not have addmotion i did not have these plugins installed and therefore had no projects with it.....hmmm

Nov 8, 2021 8:26 PM in response to joelchee

Daily FCP user here on MacBook Pro M1 16gb. Having exactly same issues, NO external plug-ins. Monterey has killed the workflow in FCP for me. Before the upgrade timelines would load practically instantly. Now 30 seconds and spinning wheel. So Apple get off your &^*# and fix this, do not start blaming unsupported plug-ins because I am using it by the book per pre-described Apple doctrine.

Nov 10, 2021 8:41 AM in response to joelchee

Is it the same if you try to open a library on your MBP's internal SSD? From my experience and testing, the problem seems to be use of USB3/TB3 external discs upon which the libraries are hosted.

Using a library on the internal storage seems to be unaffected.

May not be the case for all I expect but that's certainly what I've found for now. Hopefully a bug fix for Monterey will sort it.

Nov 11, 2021 1:43 PM in response to joelchee

I was in the middle of a multi-cam edit when Monterey was installed. It killed my FCP 10.6 making it too slow to use, minutes instead of seconds. Many times just crashing, with the dreaded 'Wheel-of-Death' spinning away.

I tried re-installing an earlier version of FCP, but that did not help. I had the IMac checked out, and no hardware problems were found. What am I going to do??? I have a deadline and no hopes of finishing the edit.

Thanks Apple. How about a Fix mega-quick ??

Nov 11, 2021 3:08 PM in response to joelchee

I have the same issue. All was well with FCP 10.6 until I installed Monterey. Now I have horrible load time for projects. I'm on a Mac Pro 2019 (MacPro7,1). I have project libraries on an external SanDisk Extreme Pro, and an internal NVMe raid, and both have project load times around 5 minutes or more. For plugins I have FxFactory, and MotionVFX (mInstaller), and BeautyBox. I saw another user report having mInstaller as well, so I tried disabling that, but it made no difference. I hope we can come up with a solution quickly, as this has really slowed my production.

Nov 12, 2021 11:20 AM in response to joelchee

Now guys please report this to Final Cut Feedback page (Final Cut Pro menu - Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback). No-one at Apple is likely to read this thread. We need to file this to their dedicated feedback page, and just work as their beta testers, or rather instead of them, since they seem to have preferred to forego testing of FCP on Monterey completely

FCP 10.6 macOS Monterey SLOW & NOT RESPONDING!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.