Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics problem under Monterey (Intel Iris 1536 MB chip)

Hello, I have a graphics problem with Monterey on my Mac mini end of 2014 ( Graphics problem under Monterey (Intel Iris 1536 MB chip). The edges of the Dock and the Control Panel appearing full of artifact, like plastic cut with scissors or torn. My Mac being compatible it's strange and ugly. I should mention that other users with other Macs using this chip have the same problem.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 5:15 AM

I am facing this same issue in my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB Graphics. Tried reinstalling Monterey and also tried by downgrading to Big Sur, but no luck.

System firmware is updated as part of Monterey installation and firmware doesn't get downgraded when we downgrade OS to Big Sur or lower versions. I tried downgrading to Mojave as well.

'About this Mac -> System Report' shows firmware version is 19.xxx whatever we do. I think this firmware upgrade is causing the issue.

In my system, System Firmware Version: 1715.60.5.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10647.0.0,0)

Whoever is facing the issue, please send feedback to Apple here, https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

All images and videos are looking so ugly. System can't used to even watch videos now.

Looks like no other option except waiting for Apple's fix.

Similar questions

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 5:15 AM in response to Bouboule8420

I am facing this same issue in my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB Graphics. Tried reinstalling Monterey and also tried by downgrading to Big Sur, but no luck.

System firmware is updated as part of Monterey installation and firmware doesn't get downgraded when we downgrade OS to Big Sur or lower versions. I tried downgrading to Mojave as well.

'About this Mac -> System Report' shows firmware version is 19.xxx whatever we do. I think this firmware upgrade is causing the issue.

In my system, System Firmware Version: 1715.60.5.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10647.0.0,0)

Whoever is facing the issue, please send feedback to Apple here, https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

All images and videos are looking so ugly. System can't used to even watch videos now.

Looks like no other option except waiting for Apple's fix.

Jan 9, 2022 4:31 AM in response to Bouboule8420

UPDATE 2 :

I installed Big Sur and the glitches are gone, everything is back to normal.

I d'ont know if a clean install directly from Monterey to Big Sur would work, i didn't try it because I had a bootable USB drive ready with Catalina. But the clean install to Catalina followed by an update to Big Sur worked for me.

• Download the Catalina installer available on the Mac app store
  • Make sur to do a time machine backup before you start the clean install process.
  • Clean install Catalina from a usb (plenty of tutorials on the internet)
  • Once Catalina is installed restore your backup, but only : files, apps and users keep other boxes unchecked.
  • When it's done you can instal Big Sur available on the Mac app store

And voilà. Goodbye glitches.

Jan 21, 2022 6:04 PM in response to Bouboule8420

I have the same issue, with the following observations:

• Glitch happened on my Mac mini 2012 + Catalina, spontaneously one day. Reinstalling Mac solved the issue and the issue has not returned. Note: after reinstalling, I have not installed any of my work apps. My Mini is running just a few basic things.
  • Glitch happened on my MacBook Pro 2015 + Monterey, spontaneously one day. I have not reinstalled because I don't have time. Why did it suddenly happen one day? What changed?

I'm thinking through every change I've made in the last day that might have led to the glitch happening. I installed some fonts, changed how Mission Control handles Spaces, and I've plugged/un-plugged my Apple Cinema Display several times.

Do I have a way to tell macOS to reinstall or otherwise reset graphics drivers? Checking now...

Jan 21, 2022 8:03 PM in response to JasonLikesApple

The only thing I can report so far is that, for me, the glitch DOES go away in safe boot. In normal boot, the glitch appears at:

• login screen
  • my regular user account's launchpad and control center
  • my test account's launchpad and control center

The glitch began happening to me today, this afternoon. The only thing I did today this afternoon that I have not done a million times before is watch Netflix in Microsoft Edge. I don't think Edge or Netflix invoking something in Edge would have the ability to cause macOS to misbehave at a system level. However, at this point, I take nothing for granted.

Oct 28, 2021 9:03 PM in response to Bouboule8420

This is what I'm seeing on my Mac Mini with dual displays running Monterey after a few setting changes.

1) Go to Apple > System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > check Reduce Transparency and make sure that Display contrast: is set to Normal.

2) Go to Apple > System Preferences > General > choose Light and uncheck Allow wallpaper tinting in windows.

3) Go to Apple > System Preferences > Desktop & ScreenSaver > test an old or more neutral Desktop Image.

4) Go to Apple > System Preferences > Displays > click on the Night Shift.. button and make sure that it is disabled and the Color slider is set to Less Warm

Nov 28, 2021 7:15 PM in response to Bouboule8420

I'm having a similar issue with a design software I use (Home Designer Pro 2022). I had zero issues before I upgraded to Monterey, and now all 3D rendering in the program is pixelated and full of artifact (see sample screen shot below). I'm running a MacBook Air (Retina, 2020) with the same Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics card you listed in your original post. I certainly hope Apple fixes this as part of the graphics upgrade in OS 12.1...

Dec 15, 2021 4:40 PM in response to Bouboule8420

Same problem here.

I’ve filed a bug report and finally found all of you guys. Should we start some kind of club? It has annoyed the whole day changing screens etc to come to the conclusion it’s a software issue.

I hope they address it quickly. I’m lucky I have the iMac M1 as my personal but I’m working from home on the mini.

Oct 29, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Bouboule8420

You're welcome.

More info about your setup could be helpful.

What Display are you using?

(brand, size, model #)

How exactly is that Display connected to your 2014 Mac Mini?

(hdmi cable, adapter brand & cable for other)

Have you tried a different Picture Size/Aspect Ratio using the displays on screen menu,

and then tried re-adjusting the Displays Resolution in the Mac Mini Display Preferences to match?

Oct 29, 2021 8:43 AM in response to den.thed

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, 16GB RAM

My external display is ASUS VE247H Monitor, 23.6" FHD (1920x1080). It is connected through a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI.

I have exactly the same issue as Bouboule8420. This is happening with and without the external display. Never happened before in Big Sur, started as soon as I updated.

Dec 4, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Bouboule8420

Got the same issue with my Mac Mini late 2014, Intel Iris 1536MB and a Dell S2721DS monitor. A little fix for the dock is to change the size a little bit, so the horizontal edges are one single line without artefacts. The problem with the round dock corners and the control center remains. Also the borders of the notifications are creepy.

Hope we will get a fix soon, this graphic bug is very annoying.

Dec 15, 2021 10:13 PM in response to Bouboule8420

Update didn’t fix it. How is your Mac attached to the monitor, by DisplayPort or HDMI? I’ll give it a try and change the cable today

anyway, we are not alone with this glitch:

https://githubmemory.com/repo/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/636

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/qwk236/monterey_visual_bug_only_with_integrated_video/

Graphics problem under Monterey (Intel Iris 1536 MB chip)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.