You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.1, MacOS Monterey: Bluetooth (Device Not supported)

Products I own:

iPhone SE 2020

MacBook Pro M1 13"

Installed the latest operating systems, and have run into the problem where the iphone and macbook can see each other in the bluetooth discovery menu. The pairing handshake works, then once connected, the connection immedietly drops. When I try to connect again, Iphone says the macbook is not a supported device, and the only option I have is to forget the device.

Apple Support states that this is not an isolated issue, but it would be nice to use my hotspot instead of having to rely on public wifi. I have tried to delete the bluetooth history files but that option did not work. Is there any work around, or will I need to wait for Apple to provide a patch?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 9:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 6:05 AM

Oops... Both points taken and you are right of course. I apologise to all for venting my recurring frustration.

Part of reason I invested in apple was for air drop and bluetooth connectivity between devices. As the options are there I wish them to work. However, I have to restart, disconnect/reconnect, re-install, every time I use them. I have tried different combinations of wi-fi, router and bluetooth. To the point of despair and have run dry of ideas. I do not want to use the cloud, I live in a very remote area and connection is not always a reliable option. For me, I found the only temporary solution, until Apple can solve it, I could find was to use Parallels Desktop from the App Store on MacBook with Windows10. But, not every one has that option or would even wish to go down that route. I have not reverted to Windows. I am still on Mac. I would really like Apple to work seamlessly. I understand we are talking macOS, IOS, iPadOS and compatibility is not as straight forward as you would always think. But, was I wrong in believing these devices were intended to be used in conjunction and connect to each other?

My apologise again for blowing my top. I feel ashamed of letting it get to me in that way. I understand that this is no way to behave or respect people who are here to help and seek help from others and I am sincerely sorry.

Similar questions

48 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2021 6:05 AM in response to ku4hx

Oops... Both points taken and you are right of course. I apologise to all for venting my recurring frustration.

Part of reason I invested in apple was for air drop and bluetooth connectivity between devices. As the options are there I wish them to work. However, I have to restart, disconnect/reconnect, re-install, every time I use them. I have tried different combinations of wi-fi, router and bluetooth. To the point of despair and have run dry of ideas. I do not want to use the cloud, I live in a very remote area and connection is not always a reliable option. For me, I found the only temporary solution, until Apple can solve it, I could find was to use Parallels Desktop from the App Store on MacBook with Windows10. But, not every one has that option or would even wish to go down that route. I have not reverted to Windows. I am still on Mac. I would really like Apple to work seamlessly. I understand we are talking macOS, IOS, iPadOS and compatibility is not as straight forward as you would always think. But, was I wrong in believing these devices were intended to be used in conjunction and connect to each other?

My apologise again for blowing my top. I feel ashamed of letting it get to me in that way. I understand that this is no way to behave or respect people who are here to help and seek help from others and I am sincerely sorry.

Dec 2, 2021 3:47 AM in response to Necromis

Imac

Installed the latest operating systems, and have run into the problem where the iphone and macbook can see each other in the bluetooth discovery menu. The pairing handshake works, then once connected, the connection immedietly drops. When I try to connect again, Iphone says the macbook is not a supported device, and the only option I have is to forget the device.

VERY FRUSHTATTING

Jan 3, 2022 9:35 AM in response to Necromis

Same problem here:

• iPhone 11 with iOS 15.2
  • Brand new MBP 14” running on macOS 12.1

iPhone keeps saying MBP “is not supported”. Unbelievable.

I could tether the two via a USB cable, though (allowing to “TRUST” the computer). Bluetooth, however, connects for a second or so and then disconnects with the “not supported” message.

Yes, very frustrating!

Nov 4, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Diacritical

Did you find any solution?

After updating iCloud logins on all devices, finally does instant hotspot work. Initially, I couldn't get that working neither. However, AirDrop worked for me.

I further was able to pair (i.e. get the device added to the list) when starting from the OSX, but when trying from the iPhone/ iPad it always says "Pairing Failed. XXX not supported" ("Koppeln fehlgeschlagen XXX wird nicht unterstützt.")

Newest versions of IOS (15.1) and Monterey (12.0.1) here, as well as an iPad with 14.2.

Nov 20, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Necromis

Have you had any luck? I am having the same issue with Monterey 12.0.1 on a brand new Macbook Pro 14" 2021. I have been working with Support for hours a day since I received the computer and they were great, but now they tell me the only solution is to return it and they will send out a new one. I've migrated all my data and set this up the way I wanted it and now I have to send it back, wait for for a new computer to get here from China, and I wonder if it will have the same issue. I also cannot import photos from my iPhone. This has been frustrating to say the least - and Apple Customer Service hasn't done much - they just don't really care.

Nov 20, 2021 10:57 AM in response to mamatrudes

I do not see how sending back the new machine would have any resolution. It is the software that is not fully functional with the hardware. You will likely get the same issue with the replacement machine. I am a new user of macOS since July of this year, and with almost 30 days elapsed with the production of the new os launch, and not a single update, I am starting to question the overall integrity of the company's support for even their year old products. If you want me to buy the new stuff, you will have to find a different customer, not everyone has a six figure income globally to buy the latest and greatest. Sorry, but not sorry. Also there is a huge memory leak problem with this update. Some background process is taking up a lot of memory bandwidth to even do simple content consummation.

Nov 21, 2021 6:49 AM in response to ku4hx

I have told them. I have been on with Support for hours on end everyday since I received the computer a week ago, and also have spoken with Senior Management/Customer Service. I will say that Support was very good to deal with and really wanted to help, even though they could not resolve the issue. Customer Service is another story.

Dec 3, 2021 2:24 PM in response to Necromis

Progress... that appears to be the cause. When anything is updated w/so called improvements. There is usually a trade off. Customer Support can occasionally be run by people like you or me. Quite often it is now automated chat. Customer Service and complaints responses are defined by company policy. One of the rudimentary rules of business is to acquire or destroy competition. Anything that is presented to the customer is concerned with damage limitation, mis-direction and smokescreens. Loyalty has been long gone. This may seem OTT response to your query. But, it is useful to have a clear concept of what is going on. I myself was advised to change platform to macOS, IOS with what seemed merits in both. Since doing so I have regretted the change. The modern electronic industries know to increase their power in the market relies on DATA. DATA is king. Every pathetic pretence to secure your privacy is BS I'm afraid. There is NO privacy. Electronics can analyse vast quantities of DATA as anonymous. The companies all promise privacy and security, this gives them total access to your DATA. How many times do you have to grant or deny access/permissions? These cloud things are all online and joke worthy. Data has to go online to pass from laptop to my phone. The rhetoric is to make the user experience better. OK, so it can be but, remember there's a trade off. Transferring between iPhone, iPad and MacBook becomes more irritating with every update. These devices have been around for decades and yet a simple transfer of DATA between them is virtually impossible without the cloud. Loyalty does not exist anymore, companies do not value the customer. They only need customer numbers to seek investments. A simple way to retain your business is to hold and control your DATA and Data flow in such a way that makes sticking it out rather than leaving the lesser of two evils. You have a simple, honest and valid question regarding your devices and your DATA. Unfortunately, the simple answer is that you realise no-one is interested. The disdain shown with other comments refers to this. You have invested you income. Now you have to put up with what the company wants to do. The industry standard of a satisfactory outcome for Customer Service in all organisations is 'no action necessary'.

The solution I found to a problem similar to yours was to use Windows. Not everyone is privileged to have this option. However, the fact I had to resort to a competitor to solve the problem speaks volumes.

I feel your pain. You have up to date and expensive equipment in your possession that fails on an elementary task. I don'k think I am wrong in saying that there is a company reason that lies behind this.

Dec 23, 2021 6:29 AM in response to PumperPimpel

i think it is to do with the cross-device sharing that was removed from Monterey beta at the midnight hour. Possibly has left a glitch until Apple can address it. There has been an update since the issue first manifested and reported that has not dealt with it. It is prolific and not isolated and as yet I cannot see a response by Apple. So I am left to believe it is all connected and under wraps for the meantime. An official statement would be sensible to hold confidence.

iOS 15.1, MacOS Monterey: Bluetooth (Device Not supported)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.