Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie vs Monterey - major problems

iMovie does not work if you upgrade to Monterey. Be forewarned! I opened a ticket and it is a known problem. Ugh! Must wait for new update either Monterey or iMovie app. Please Apple, you're better than this.

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 2:24 PM

Started a thread here too. I can't open projects in my iMovie library -- gets stuck on "Loading" with the spinning beach ball. Assuming that's the same thing you're seeing, I'm actually glad to hear that it's a known problem, so it's not just me...

I was using iMovie 10.3 (the version that came out a week or two before Monterey) under Big Sur without issues, so my guess is that it's something to do with Monterey.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 2:24 PM in response to FlorbeijaMIA

Started a thread here too. I can't open projects in my iMovie library -- gets stuck on "Loading" with the spinning beach ball. Assuming that's the same thing you're seeing, I'm actually glad to hear that it's a known problem, so it's not just me...

I was using iMovie 10.3 (the version that came out a week or two before Monterey) under Big Sur without issues, so my guess is that it's something to do with Monterey.

Nov 10, 2021 4:59 AM in response to FlorbeijaMIA

My iMovie library would not open as well. I reset my preferences and then reopened iMovie. A status bar appeared saying it was backing up library. It finally opened after about 1/2 hour. I have a 2.2TB library.

Reset iMovie

1. Quit iMovie if it's open.
  2. Hold down the Option and Command keys on your keyboard, and then reopen iMovie.
  3. In the window that appears, click Delete Preferences.

iMovie will reset your preferences and open with default settings.

Oct 31, 2021 3:28 PM in response to Rich839

I cannot tell what version of iMovie. Apple said a new one is coming out. I have a ticket open. The problems are rtm808 in this thread described.

Good new to anyone who has this problem. I was able to open iMovie and have it "validating iMovie library" for about 1/2 hour. Then I opened one of my movie projects (another 1/2 hour) and I finally had access. Exported it as a file and will transfer to another Mac without Monterey. Oh yeah, it also allowed me to work on the movie project. Be patient until it's fixed.

Nov 1, 2021 4:08 AM in response to FlorbeijaMIA

I have iMovie 10.3 (latest version) and I've found that when I open it, it can take a while to validate the library - and it seems to have to validate the library every time I open it.

Then it takes a while to open a project. I'll click on a project and a message will pop up that it's loading something completely unrelated to the project I'm trying to open and then nothing. A second or third click on the project will finally get it open.

Then dragging stuff into the timeline can take a few attempts before it will actually place it in the timeline. Click, drag, release will result in nothing on the first few attempts. If I click, drag and hold for several seconds over the time line it will finally insert the item.

But once I get it to accept one new item into the time line it seems to work okay for the rest of the time I'm using it on that project. However, once I shut it down and then reopen it, it starts with these same problems all over again. Very frustrating to say the least. Switching to a new project will also result in the same problems with trying to open the project and add items to the time line.

Nov 3, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Matthew_Shin

I left mine in the "Loading..." stage for a few hours. Did my errands away from the computer (which eliminated the temptation to Force Quit). When I came back, it was usable.

Something is definitely broken, but it doesn't seem like anything has been permanently corrupted or lost. My biggest worry was that my impatience and impulsiveness to Force Quite the app when it appeared to be stuck caused permanent corruption.

I don't know if the problems we're experiencing are related to the memory leaks that others reported in certain apps, but I'm hoping Apple will have a fix out soon...

Nov 4, 2021 5:58 PM in response to Rich839

I own a Macbook Pro 2019. I had no issues with loading iMovie for about 3 days after I upgraded to Monterey. But when I was saving my 1 and 1/2 minute video project today, it was just loading endlessly. I forced-quit it, and reopen, but it was just showing an indication "loading imovie library." I tried rebooting, and it didn't solve the issue. Please resolve asap.

Nov 9, 2021 1:22 PM in response to RichmondFlorida

I’ve been lucky, I guess. After then initial delay in loading (which can be hours on my larger library), it seems to work with normal intervals after that. It’s taking about the same amount of time to export a 30 minute movie.

For now, I’m hobbling along with a new library file and forgoing using some of my earlier movie assets in the large library that takes hours to open.

I don’t have a ticket open with Apple; I know at least one other person mentioned having one. Just haven’t had the time to do it, but I know the drill: no ticket means the problem doesn’t exist for Apple.

Nov 10, 2021 7:23 AM in response to gtobeck

I did that (deleted preferences) and was told it would not delete my projects. Nope!!! All my previous projects are GONE!!! BE CAREFUL if you do this method, which DID NOT help the iMovie situation. Thankfully, I have my projects backed up on an exterior hard drive. WHERE is Apple on this? I love Apple, BUT this is testing my patience.

I usually wait to install their new OS, but Big Sur became corrupted so I downloaded Monterey right away. BIG MISTAKE!!! COME ON APPLE!!!! THIS IS COSTING US TIME AND MONEY!!!!!

iMovie vs Monterey - major problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.