Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey screensaver not working

How do I get Monterey screensaver to show the mat-geo photos.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 11:52 AM

Yes, I know the steps and followed

no matter what “source” I select I only get a black or white screen

i used the nat-geo pics in the past, but I can’t even get colors to work

dynamic backgrounds are selected for screens

but changing to static does not change snything

i also have screen sleep set to never, but no matter the value, no change

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 11:52 AM in response to ColleenD1

Yes, I know the steps and followed

no matter what “source” I select I only get a black or white screen

i used the nat-geo pics in the past, but I can’t even get colors to work

dynamic backgrounds are selected for screens

but changing to static does not change snything

i also have screen sleep set to never, but no matter the value, no change

Dec 5, 2021 4:35 PM in response to ElleKay1

ElleKay1 wrote:

I feel all of the posters' disappointment and have very similar issues.
The albums I carefully - and painstakingly - created in the Photos app have mostly disappeared, along with my projects and slideshows. Most of my library photos, previously edited, have been duplicated, (and triplicated, and up to 5 times replicated!). Most have reverted back to the way I shot them. You know, originally taken upside down then color-corrected, framed, identified, etc

What does that have to do with the problem of Monterey screensavers not being able to use any image files in it's themes, regardless of where they are located, i.e. Photos library or in a folder on the hard drive).

You should start your own topic and follow the guidelines in this user tip, Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community and give all of the details of what you're experiencing.

Nov 2, 2021 11:33 AM in response to capchap

Hi capchap,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your screen saver on macOS Monterey. We'd like to help.

Just to confirm, are you trying to add a photo from your library to your screensaver or are you using the stock photos found in Desktop and Screen Saver? What happens if you try to choose a photo?

Are you following these steps to add a screen saver?

Use a screen saver on your Mac

Let us know more and we'll go from there.

Take care!

Nov 18, 2021 7:58 PM in response to capchap

I am using a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid-2015. I manually pointed the screensaver to the folder where the Desktop pictures are stored:

1. From the ScreenSaver tab in the Desktop & ScreenSaver window, click on the downward arrow next to "source: colors" (mine was set to colors by default)
  2. Then select "choose folder"
  3. Navigate towards the Macintosh HD > Library > Desktop Pictures folder (that is where my Apple desktop pictures were stored)
  4. Then click "choose"

There were extra pictures I did not want in the Desktop Pictures folder, so I selected them, saved them to another folder, and then deleted them from the original folder.

Nov 5, 2021 3:25 AM in response to JCCalcados

Follow up to above... seems like the screen savers starting down with MONTEREY and below (in the options window) do work, but any of the options above that linked to photos are NOT working... even when trying to find the photos in the library/folder you link up, it try's loading the photos, but then seems not to be able to link up... and goes into black screen w/ clock ...

Nov 22, 2021 4:47 PM in response to capchap

I had the issue where I had the screensaver checked, activating after 10 minutes of non-use. Despite my screensaver choice, I had the warning triangle with the exclamation point and my screensaver did not kick in.

I went into Preferences/Energy Saver and saw that I had set the display to turn off after 5 minutes. When I changed this to a timeframe longer than 10 minutes, My screensaver options were once again available.

So, it appears your screensaver activation time cannot be longer than your monitor shut-off time (at least for me).

Nov 23, 2021 9:23 AM in response to ColleenD1

Works okay on: 

Macbook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Processor: Apple M1

Memory: 16 GB

Graphics: Built-in Retina LCD, 2560x1600 Retina 

Software: MacOs Monterey 12.0.1

Does not work on: 

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, 2017) 

Processor: 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Software: MacOs Monterey 12.0.1 

Monterey screensaver not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.