How to Avoid Accidental Back-to-Back Calls on iPhone 13 Pro Max

Since my new iphone 13 pro max (or maybe ios15?): when I hang up my call, i start immediately calling someone else, due to the fact the calling screen goes away so extremely fast if the other one on the phone is hanging up earlier: I press hang up, but the screen goes away so fast if the other one is faster, that I press calling the one in my list that was behind the "end phonecall button".

I didn't have this before, now I call 3 people a day by accident. Anyone else the same issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:17 PM

@Apple (in case anyone from Apple is reading here)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Start a call from "call history", e.g. from a missed call
  2. When you are about to end the call, take the phone from your ear and look at it. There is a fullscreen "call window" with the red button to hang up the call.
  3. When you intend to push the red button but your call partner is fragments of a second faster than you, the "call window" will disappear immediately and it can accidentally happen that you press the item in "call history", which was "behind" the red button and is immediately coming to foreground.

A solution would be to not let the "call window" disappear immediately when the other person hangs up. Instead, keep it open for half a second with the red button greyed out.

262 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 1:17 PM in response to smrschippers

@Apple (in case anyone from Apple is reading here)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Start a call from "call history", e.g. from a missed call
  2. When you are about to end the call, take the phone from your ear and look at it. There is a fullscreen "call window" with the red button to hang up the call.
  3. When you intend to push the red button but your call partner is fragments of a second faster than you, the "call window" will disappear immediately and it can accidentally happen that you press the item in "call history", which was "behind" the red button and is immediately coming to foreground.

A solution would be to not let the "call window" disappear immediately when the other person hangs up. Instead, keep it open for half a second with the red button greyed out.

Dec 24, 2021 2:35 AM in response to smrschippers

Same here on iPhone 12 pro on iOS 15.

This is a major flaw in a core function of this device.

It is unsafe to use the red button to hang up a call.

Once I called my boss by accident at 11:30 PM, because unfortunately he was the entry under the red button at this moment.

OMG

Please Apple, do something! Your product should not lead to such shameful moments.

I wrote a product feedback suggestion to Apple two months ago, but nothing happended since then.

Feb 17, 2022 2:10 PM in response to smrschippers

Yes, problem here too. Please, please, please, give us the courtesy of slow screen fade or repositioning of buttons when calls disconnect. Many faux pas dials for me...

Also a problem when a call comes in and you say "hey call coming I have to take... " if the other person hangs up before you switch over... instead of hitting "hang up and answer" it immediately turns into "ignore call" or something and you send your incoming call to vm.

Dec 24, 2021 3:21 AM in response to smrschippers

I have the same problem with the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Whenever I have started a phone call from the call list, I don't dare to hang up with the red button after the call has ended. Since it can happen if my conversation partner has hung up earlier, the page to hang up disappears and I then accidentally press any last contact from the call list.

Since the connection is established immediately, I have often called someone pointless in the last few months, which I did not want.

Apple please fix the problem, it's so annoying this error.

Feb 25, 2022 7:48 PM in response to jochen192

Happens to me all the time and it's very annoying and VERY preventable. It's super simple - allow a very easy setting change where you can disable touch to dial in the call list and require a swipe to call. Or like others have said leave the call window open for one second longer. Either way it's insane there has not been a fix for this very basic function that every single phone user in the world uses daily. PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE!

Aug 1, 2023 6:17 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

..An adequate means to compensate for a cause of this issue

has been explained few times by Liftnd a thread participant..

<Calling someone after hanging up the phone - Apple Community> Anyone try this?

//discussions.apple.com/thread/253421133?answerId=259079391022#259079391022

..Nobody clicked Helpful, but it sure looks like that should've been..

[Try link: Apple Product Feedback (iPhone) online form, direct to Apple.]

With 15 pages and more than 2,000 'me too' remarks, easy to get frustrated

here ~ While this reply, shows where the closest post button was next to.

May 31, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Heilbronn

Heilbronn wrote:

Same issue. Very surprising and very disappointing to have no response at all from Apple when so many people are having this problem. If anyone from Apple is monitoring this please respond. Your “community” is getting pretty upset. If you are working on a solution, just say so. But SOME response is called for.

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple's participation here (beyond keeping order) is minimal. Apple doesn't read here for suggestions or feedback. They will not respond to this here.

If you just want to give feedback (I highly recommend you do so), use the feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apple is quite explicit that they won't respond from their either but that they do read all of the feedback.

If you want to speak to Apple directly, use the "Get Support" link at the top right of every page of these forums. However, it's unlikely that any customer support person you speak to will be able to give you the response you're looking for which I suspect is something on the order of a statement that it will be changed shortly.

But, the more people who submit feedback, the more likely things are to get changed.

Have you tried hanging up by using the power button?

Aug 31, 2022 11:11 PM in response to LdGw

LdGw wrote:

Called my boss last Sunday at 02:30 am when I was in a club and ended a call, asking my buddy where he is. What makes this even worse is the speed, that the iPhone dials up the phone connection. After calling my boss I pressed the hang up Butten literally 1/10 of a sec. later and still he got a missed call and called me back 5mins later, asking me what’s going on…
this ist the third time, this happend with my boss. He must think I am an absolute idiot… that’s why I googled for a fix and I am shocked that this problem is discussed since over a year.

As discussed, simply get in to the habit of ending calls with the side button. This avoids all potential for mishap.

You can also submit feedback to Apple if you want - Product Feedback - Apple

How to Avoid Accidental Back-to-Back Calls on iPhone 13 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.