Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Big Sur (or to upgrade to Monterey)

A few days ago I tried to update my 2017 iMac running Big Sur 11.6 to Monterey. Unfortunately, I got an error saying that the package was damaged. Re-downloading both in normal and safe mode did not solve the problem. Also, I tried to install the newest OS using recovery mode giving me this error:

Dec  5 14:36:59 iMac InstallAssistant[494]: Stopped operation queue with Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=1004 "Der opstod en fejl under indlæsning af opdateringen." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Der opstod en fejl under indlæsning af opdateringen., NSUnderlyingError=0x60000177c270 {Error Domain=SZExtractorErrorDomain Code=2 "CRC mismatch; got: 0x61688e1c expected: 0x50177ad7 for file AssetData/payloadv2/payload.016" UserInfo={SZExtractorFunctionNameErrorKey=-[StreamingUnzipper _supplyBytes:length:withReply:], SZExtractorFileOffsetErrorKey=2607901048, SZExtractorSourceFileLineErrorKey=1346, NSFilePath=AssetData/payloadv2/payload.016, NSLocalizedDescription=CRC mismatch; got: 0x61688e1c expected: 0x50177ad7 for file AssetData/payloadv2/payload.016}}}

Apparently, the problem is some CRC error in the install package.

Today, I tried to install the latest update for Big Sur (11.6.1), but that failed as well, so something must be very wrong.

Then, I tried "First Aid" with Disk Utility on "Macintosh HD" giving this error message:

Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD” (disk4s1)

Repairing file system.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk4s1
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the fusion superblock.
warning: container has been mounted by APFS version 1933.41.2, which is newer than 1677.141.2
warning: disabling overallocation repairs by default; use -o to override
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking the Fusion data structures.
Checking volume.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
Checking the object map.
Checking the snapshot metadata tree.
Checking the snapshot metadata.
Checking snapshot 1 of 1 (com.apple.os.update-5DC2B8AA591ED241EC5D606CA1EC8CA686322F70563020EFC688A81456FCA796)
error: (oid 0x5803a6) apfs_root: btn: dev_read_finish(6759120, 1): Input/output error
Snapshot is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk4s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

I don't understand, how the operation can be "Successful", when there is an error message, but I have a feeling that this error might be causing all the trouble with updating the system. It cannot be repaired in normal or safe mode, and I don't know what to do.

Please, anyone... heeelp? :-)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 7:54 AM

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and may even corrupt the download.

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

1 - Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives.

2 - Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable.

3 - If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

4 - Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal.

5 - Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time.

6 - Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur.

Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup.

7 - If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer.

8 - Now run the Installer.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 7:54 AM in response to jrhansen

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and may even corrupt the download.

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

1 - Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives.

2 - Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable.

3 - If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer.

4 - Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal.

5 - Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time.

6 - Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur.

Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup.

7 - If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer.

8 - Now run the Installer.

Dec 10, 2021 11:44 AM in response to jrhansen

UPDATE - Short story: Success!

Long story: I finally managed to install Monterey, and I had hoped to share this to help out someone else in the same situation. Sadly, I do not precisely know what made it work.

After removing Bit Defender and Little Snitch (above post), I re-installed both programs. I decided to try to upgrade to Monterey again (just for the fun of it), and this time it went much further (??), but... It then failed with a new error: "Failed to Personalise the update. Please Try again".

I did not find any suitable solution to this on the internet, so I just tried the installation several times with no luck. I gave up for the day.

Today, I tried again and for some reason everything worked out. I am now on Monterey after a full week of struggling.

Dec 10, 2021 3:27 PM in response to jrhansen

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

I recommend uninstalling BitDefender according to the developer's instructions.

As for Little Snitch it just uses up system resources and is, IMO, not necessary for good computing practice.

Dec 7, 2021 2:05 PM in response to jrhansen

jrhansen wrote:

Hi P. Philips. Thanks for the reply. I see that it has been marked "Apple recommended", which is kind of funny, because it doesn't address my issue at all. I look forward to seeing MY recommended solution (if it comes up).

As stated earlier, I am on Ethernet, and I have downloaded the package eight times now with the same error occurring at the same point in the installation (about 1 minute into the installation). Therefore, this is not a caused by a faulty download or a busy server.

I am not behind a VPN, and I do not have any lost packages (I already checked for that). It takes about 7 minutes for me to download the file, and I have no problems with the internet connection in general.

Just to be sure that the download is not broken, can anyone of you do some kind of checksum calculation on the installation package on your Mac? I can compare it to the checksum of the file that I download then.

Please, help me solve this. Any ideas are welcome (except blaming a non-existent WiFi connection) :-)

It good to read one has excellent internet connection and not running behind a VPN.

Though, a couple of possibly overlooked things in your reply. Any AntiVirus Software on this machine.

Having downloaded this upgrade that amount of times, presume one has removed the existing Installer each time before attempting another download. That has been done - yes ?

What is showing in Users & Groups ?

Is there more than one user account listed ?

Are all these upgraded being performed from the Admin Account of this computer ?

As for " because it doesn't address my issue at all. ". The Original Question and I quote " Unable to update Big Sur (or to upgrade to Monterey) " - in context - the first step to updating Big Sur to Monterey is getting a successful down of the complete and full installer. Judging from the details shared in original posting - that is not occurring. Thusly, the suggestion of what may or may not causing this to happen.

Lastly as for the awarding of the moniker " Recommended " - please take the time to read Solved, Helpful, and Apple recommended posts as that will answer that specific statement one has made

Looking forwards to assist further where I can. Understand, any suggestions or advise is done on a volunteer basis - from one Apple User to another Apple User.

Dec 8, 2021 10:55 AM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips wrote:

jrhansen wrote:

Hi P. Philips. Thanks for the reply. I see that it has been marked "Apple recommended", which is kind of funny, because it doesn't address my issue at all. I look forward to seeing MY recommended solution (if it comes up).

As stated earlier, I am on Ethernet, and I have downloaded the package eight times now with the same error occurring at the same point in the installation (about 1 minute into the installation). Therefore, this is not a caused by a faulty download or a busy server.

I am not behind a VPN, and I do not have any lost packages (I already checked for that). It takes about 7 minutes for me to download the file, and I have no problems with the internet connection in general.

Just to be sure that the download is not broken, can anyone of you do some kind of checksum calculation on the installation package on your Mac? I can compare it to the checksum of the file that I download then.

Please, help me solve this. Any ideas are welcome (except blaming a non-existent WiFi connection) :-)
It good to read one has excellent internet connection and not running behind a VPN.

Though, a couple of possibly overlooked things in your reply. Any AntiVirus Software on this machine.

Having downloaded this upgrade that amount of times, presume one has removed the existing Installer each time before attempting another download. That has been done - yes ?

What is showing in Users & Groups ?

Is there more than one user account listed ?

Are all these upgraded being performed from the Admin Account of this computer ?

As for " because it doesn't address my issue at all. ". The Original Question and I quote " Unable to update Big Sur (or to upgrade to Monterey) " - in context - the first step to updating Big Sur to Monterey is getting a successful down of the complete and full installer. Judging from the details shared in original posting - that is not occurring. Thusly, the suggestion of what may or may not causing this to happen.

Lastly as for the awarding of the moniker " Recommended " - please take the time to read Solved, Helpful, and Apple recommended posts as that will answer that specific statement one has made

Looking forwards to assist further where I can. Understand, any suggestions or advise is done on a volunteer basis - from one Apple User to another Apple User.

I did not intend to be disrespectful in my previous post. Any help is highly appreciated!

Yes, I am running BitDefender (antivirus) as well as Little Snitch (firewall). I was under the impression that downloading/running the installation in safe mode would disable such "things". Is that not the case?

All downloaded installation packages have been deleted before re-downloading.

I am the only administrator on my iMac, but I do have an additional "standard" user and a guest user. Any action to take in that context?

All updates are run under my (administrative) account.

Does it make sense to download the package once again, create a bootable installation media (USB drive of some sort) and try installing from that media? I am not used to installing Mac OS X that way. Will it preserve the content of the current OS, or will it do a "clean install"?

Thanks for your time!

Dec 5, 2021 12:16 PM in response to jrhansen

UPDATE: I tried updating Big Sur again, and for some reason the update to Big Sur 11.6.1 worked. I did not do anything special this time, but it worked (?). Also, after the update I re-ran disk utility, and now there are no errors on the HD (again: ?). So, the "only" issue right now, is that I am still not able to upgrade to Monterey. Apparently, the package is damaged when downloaded, and this happens both in normal and in safe mode.

Dec 5, 2021 4:45 PM in response to jrhansen

I will offer thoughts which may be useful. First, Disk Utility may have to be run several times when there is a problem found, before it finally gets fixed. (I do not know why this is, but it is.) Second, it sounds like your downloads may be getting corrupted during the downloads. Are you using Wi-Fi? Sometimes Wi-Fi will work just fine, but it often does not. These files are just too large for Wi-Fi's slower download. I suggest using a wired Ethernet connection even if you have to temporarily move the computer. If corruption is the issue, that should solve it.

Dec 5, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Ronasara

I've tried 3x now to get the Big Sur update over wifi this evening. My laptop was taking it's jolly ol' time, but eventually it was done, as it rebooted. After signing back in and checking to make sure all was well, I find it's not there : (

When this happens, I've usually found trying to download updates at other times, say 4 or 5 am, works. Not too many others on the internet in my area at that hour.

I did get the Safari update, and the other one (can't recall what it was now), without any issues, so was annoyed the OSX update kept failing, but well see if I can get it tomorrow, early morning. I'm usually awake then anyway.

Currently, I have no way to connect my 2018 MBA (Retina) directly to my router or modem. There isn't an ethernet port on this laptop. Does it require a dongle? I may have one somewhere, but I haven't used it in 2 years, so it might be at another house about an hour from here.

Dec 6, 2021 11:07 AM in response to PRP_53

The updates all downloaded and installed successfully to my MBA, via wifi, not long after I posted my pervious reply, around 9 pm. I'd forgotten that Apple's servers might be too busy as well. I have found that's often been the case during the day, which is why I usually do computer(s) and phone updates in the late night/early morning.

Dec 7, 2021 12:37 PM in response to PRP_53

Dec 8, 2021 11:08 AM in response to jrhansen

BitDefender is more problematic that other Antivirus software.

Being forwards about this, it is really beyond my scope to assist on that issue.

I have seen several other persons with this software installed and to remove it is where I can not, with good conscience, offer reliable information on just how deep this software is embedded into the OS.

One can only hope a more Learned Contributor will pick up you question and offer accurate and reliable information on just how to remove it.

As for Little Snitch - that opens a different issue which may also be related to the overall issue at hand.

Really wish the best.

Dec 9, 2021 11:32 AM in response to PRP_53

Removed Bit Defender. Tried re-installing both in normal mode and safe mode. Same error!

Then I removed Little Snitch and tried re-installing both in normal mode and safe mode. Still same error!

Finally, tried in recovery mode. This just fails with some other error after some time.

Another two hours wasted, and now I need to re-install Bit Defender etc. :-/

Unable to update Big Sur (or to upgrade to Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.