Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Video Preview Isn't Refreshing

My Home App won't show the preview image that usually refreshes every 30-40 seconds. It's stuck on "Now". Has anyone else experienced this?

MacOS Home App

iOS HomeApp

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 6:34 PM

Same issue here.

Since yesterday the preview thumbnails of one of my iPhones (iPhone 11 on iOS 15.2) has stopped updating. I only get a black frame or a picture that is about 24 hours old, without any updating. The timer in the lower right corner does not run either.

MacBook Pro, Apple Watch and another iPhone work fine.

I was able to temporarily fix the issue by removing the cameras from HomeKit and reconnecting them but after the next iPhone restart, the issue was present again.....

Greetings from Germany

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 6:34 PM in response to Scott Litch

Same issue here.

Since yesterday the preview thumbnails of one of my iPhones (iPhone 11 on iOS 15.2) has stopped updating. I only get a black frame or a picture that is about 24 hours old, without any updating. The timer in the lower right corner does not run either.

MacBook Pro, Apple Watch and another iPhone work fine.

I was able to temporarily fix the issue by removing the cameras from HomeKit and reconnecting them but after the next iPhone restart, the issue was present again.....

Greetings from Germany

Jan 3, 2022 4:59 AM in response to Scott Litch

The same has happened on my daily driver (iPhone Xr). My old phone (6s) that I use primarily as a baby monitor has no issues and the snapshots update every ~10 seconds as usual.

Strange that so many people have had the same thing happen at roughly the same time. I’ve rebooted several times… might try the iCloud sign out/sign in thing. (eye roll)

Jan 3, 2022 8:24 AM in response to Scott Litch

I'm having the same problem on an iPhone 13, but it's not happening on my wife's iPhone 13. I thought signing out/in of iCloud might fix it, but no. I have three cameras and it's never the same one this happens to, it's random, so it has to be either iCloud or the app. Also happening in the Home app on macOS and iPadOS. All new devices and all fully updated. Problems began several days ago. Reddit has dozens reporting the same thing and many have reached out to Apple, who appears to be in denial of the issue.

Jan 3, 2022 12:03 PM in response to Scott Litch

I did the same removing and re-adding yesterday after seeing reports that it was magically fixed for a few users. I figure apple has probably fixed the server issue and would be working through impacted users/cameras manually.

so far it’s been fine, last week I did the same and after about 9 hours it was back to being stuck on “now”

HomeKit Video Preview Isn't Refreshing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.