Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to Disable "one more minute" screen time limit on iPhone?

Need for option to disable “one more minute“ in screen time limits, kids are able to continue using apps that are limited, what’s the use of screen time limits if they can continuously use one more minute? should be able to turn that off in screen time settings

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:00 PM

Me too. This is a major problem for me. I’m on the verge of moving to Android because of this. I know other families that have had to switch because this feature is sorted in Android. Apple can you give us a date when this will be fixed. People have been asking for it for 4 years.

119 replies

Mar 6, 2022 4:58 AM in response to SravanKrA

This doesn’t quite get to the solution.

Having set all the App and Time restrictions, a teenage child is still willing to use the “one more minute” option over and over again which makes the screen restrictions a mere inconvenience to them.

Parents need a way to fully disable the device during restricted screen time. I would prefer that the “ one more minute” option was fully disabled.

May 4, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Matty188

Me too, one more minute is RIDICULOUS! Apple please sort this out. All this effort to manage screen time and then kids can just use one more minute over and over again, and they do. It’s such a massive oversight. I’m going to have to switch to Android if this doesn’t get sorted out, and I know so many parents who are thinking about doing the same.

Jun 14, 2022 3:00 PM in response to KTMunga75

The only solution is to move to Android. Parental control on Android works much better and there is no one more minute option. By the way, it is not one minute. It is one minute per application and if they uninstall and reinstall it they get another minute. So there isn't really a time limit. Apple knows this and promotes it so all kids will prefere an iPhone so they don't have use limits. Terrible.

Jul 2, 2022 5:39 PM in response to Ncboero

OK so this is what we did - mileage may vary - good luck.

many of the choices/ticks/ are counter-intuitive (which means the UI is wrong)

Go into ScreenTime -> Select 'App Limits'-> delete whatever you had there, so it's blank.*

Go into ScreenTime -> Select Content and Privacy.. -> iTunes and app Store ..-> Make sure Don't Allow is selected for all.*

Go into ScreenTime -> Downtime -> Tick schedule-> To allow access from 4-6pm - you block the opposite -> which is From 6pm->4pm ( an "Allow" option here would be far more intuitive) -> set Days-> Tick Block at Downtime

• if there's a limit it can be extended
  • if an app is deleted then re-installed, the o/s deletes the Screentime setting.

Sep 22, 2022 7:10 AM in response to Xanadu87

That actually doesn’t fix the issue either. I have app limits n everything and my son is literally standing in front of me one more minuting any app he wants to.

My 16-year-old son with ADHD will one more minutes himself till 4 AM. This needs to be fixed. I shouldn’t have to physically take his phone every night. I should be able to rely on the parental controls.

Jul 9, 2023 3:32 AM in response to Xanadu87

My daughter can spend hours looking at different webpages for "1 more minute" and playing each of her games for one minute. Please please Apple, disable the one more minute option! Otherwise we too will be forced to move to an android device.

To make it even harder, Apple has stopped the BARK kids app from being able to access the device without entering a password every few minutes. I'm getting desperate!

Thanks

Feb 20, 2024 4:35 AM in response to michaluna

If they are too old to have their phones taken away then they are old enough to make their own decisions.

The premise of this thread is that "one more minute can go on indefinitely". In my experience trying to limit my time on this godforsaken forum with Screen Time, "one more minute" only allows one go then you are out, since iOS17.

Jul 11, 2022 7:45 AM in response to lindaf92

lindaf92 wrote:

This does not solve the issue. I will have to purchase an APP to get this locked down properly. Kids today are super tech savvy...Apple should know this and provide "options" to have this "one more minute" or not. I feel like I should get a refund on the App Store for the APP I need to purchase to get this accomplished. Are there any plans to have this fixed in next IOS releases? Big FAIL Apple!

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Note that, though they read all of the feedback, they don't respond so you're not going to get any answer as to whether or not they have plans to change this in the next update. However, the more people who give them feedback, the more likely the situation is to change.

Apr 2, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Xanadu87

I’m completely disappointed with this Apple feature! Parental controls are rendered useless. Parents are growing more frustrated, as it tips the balance between the agreements made between individual parents and their children, on what is deemed a healthy amount of screen time. I am close to looking for alternatives to apple. One more minute is unethical!

Feb 12, 2022 11:10 PM in response to Xanadu87

Follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
  • Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions and enter your Screen Time passcode.
  • Tap Content Restrictions, then tap Web Content.
  • Choose Unrestricted Access, Limit Adult Websites, or Allowed Websites Only.

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod ...

You may have to set Screen Time Passcode correctly.

How to Disable "one more minute" screen time limit on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.