Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app will not open browser to put in password so I can turn my email account to online mode

My mail app has two accounts linked to it. The account that I actively use is set to offline. I understand I need to change this to send emails, but when I hit the lightening bolt next to the email address in the side bar, it asks me to enter the password for authentication. When I hit the blue open browser button, I am stuck on a loading box screen with a loading sign spinning. It doesn't change or send me to the browser to put in my password. The same thing happens when I go through Internet Accounts from system preferences. Please help me fix this

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 7:47 AM

taragracew wrote:

My mail app has two accounts linked to it. The account that I actively use is set to offline. I understand I need to change this to send emails, but when I hit the lightening bolt next to the email address in the side bar, it asks me to enter the password for authentication. When I hit the blue open browser button, I am stuck on a loading box screen with a loading sign spinning. It doesn't change or send me to the browser to put in my password. The same thing happens when I go through Internet Accounts from system preferences. Please help me fix this

Verify you have Safari set as the default browser and try again.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 7:47 AM in response to taragracew

taragracew wrote:

Verify you have Safari set as the default browser and try again.

Jul 21, 2022 4:10 PM in response to my ginger

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Mar 30, 2022 8:21 AM in response to gj240

Is your email account thru you internet server or an online account such as Google Gmail? You could go to mail preferences accounts and delete then re-add the account. If it will not let you thru the listed accounts try using the add other accounts. Google has to be authenticated. As do some others.

https://appletoolbox.com/gmail-login-and-authentication-problems-with-apple-mail-try-these-tips/

Mar 31, 2022 1:06 AM in response to gj240

What helped was to first completely quit Safari, then the browser opened as it should. Before that I also deleted the account and was adding it again, but I think that's not necessary.

Now I even can't reply because "Your post could not be saved. Please try again in a few moments.". Apple can do HW, but its SW really sucks. Will be trying again..

Jul 5, 2022 3:47 AM in response to madaross

This worked for me, as well.

In mail, when I tried to take a Gmail account online, a pop-up opened, saying I needed to authenticate my account, but the window was empty, and the "Open Browser" button was grayed out. Quitting and restarting Mail didn't help. But when I simply launched Safari manually (it had not been running), the first thing to open was a Gmail login pop-up, and I was able to login, and then my Gmail account was active in Mail.

Oct 16, 2022 2:51 PM in response to xreed

The solution is to temporarily change your default browser to Chome (System Preferences > General > Default Web Browser). Then try it again while having Chrome set as default. For some reason, Safari can have problems using google's mail portal in Apple Mail.

I did this but it was already set to Chrome, which didn't work. So I then set it to Firefox because Safari is, and always has been, the worst, most featureless browser in the history of the WWW. Even worse than IE if that's possible. Guess what. When I again tried to enter my password in the dialog box, the friggin' thing opened in Safari! At least I could enter my credentials and get the account back online. I changed the default back to Chrome immediately after that. I never use Safari and would uninstall it if I could and didn't need it for stupidities like this one. Apple HW good, Apple software, the worst. I liked it much better before when I could do everything directly from the Mail app.

Mail app will not open browser to put in password so I can turn my email account to online mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.